• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Armani and Canali - Construction Issue

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I wanted to confirm an issue from a previous post. Multiple sales associates at Harry Rosen (high-end clothier in Canada) have told me that mainline Canali (not Exclusive line) and Armani Collezioni (not Black Label) are fused. But sales associate assured me that Armani uses a 'high tech' fusing process, so it's really a non-issue. What do you guys think?

Considering OTR Canali isn't that expensive compared to OTR Zegna, I think it makes sense.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is not terribly important - you get what you pay for. High end Canali make a fully canvassed suit, lower end it is Boss like in construction. Same goes for Armani. Q.E.D.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sales rep told you something?

Oy Vey.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A long time ago I was looking at a cashmere jacket at Harry Rosen. It had 5% nylon in it, which I objected to. No, no", the SA insisted,"that's just the stitching. It's sewn with nylon thread."

Canali is not fused. I'm not sure about AC but I'll check it out.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
A long time ago I was looking at a cashmere jacket at Harry Rosen. It had 5% nylon in it, which I objected to. No, no", the SA insisted,"that's just the stitching. It's sewn with nylon thread."

Canali is not fused. I'm not sure about AC but I'll check it out.

Was it real or an excuse?

amadar

Reaction score
I once had an Armani Collezioni suit and it was fused. I have yet to come across anything from Canali, be it mainline or proposta, that wasn't at least half-canvassed.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
Was it real or an excuse?

An excuse. A very stupid excuse.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was told the same thing when i asked about all the synthetics in AC - "oh, well it's their performance line and actually this fabric will hold up much better over time", etc...

I think there's something to be said for fusing not being the monster is was, but then again I think even a half canvass is much better. Still, if the AC works for you (in my case it's great) and the Canali doesn't (way too big for me), then fit and styling is probably more important then construction since others notice that first. Within reason though.

Macallan

Reaction score
I have an unlined Armani Collezioni sports jacket that I use for the summer, it is fused. I do not like fused suits but like the jacket because it is weather appropriate.

As for fused being bad - I would disagree, just because a jacket/suit is in fused does not mean it is inferior to canvassed (and half-canvassed) garments, although normally fused suits are in found in the low end of the suit market.

Armani's fusing is not the worse I have seen (I have a fused Emporio Armani suit).

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree that it's not the worst thing in the world (fusing), but I would be hesitant to pay over $1000 for a fused garment. You can definitely tell the difference though, esp when you use two extremes. Example: I have a boss black DB and an Isaia DB. The drape is alot more natural on the Isaia, making it almost look (and feel) bespoke.

I don't think a fused Armani is worth $1000 more than a fused Boss (even though the fabric is nicer).

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should rename the Style Forum the "Fully Canvassed Forum"

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by allaboutshoes
Canali regular line ad Armani Collezioni are both fused. I own both and have yet to come across an even half canvassed one

Canali is canvassed, not fused. From where did you buy yours?

hyakku

Reaction score
Ive currently got a mainline canali, armani collezioni, mainline Armani, and canali proposta coats here from thrifting so I can help.

The mainline canali is fully canvased from what I can tell, I'm almost 100% on that. The proposta is half canvassed, the mainline seems to be half canvassed, and the collezioni appears to be fused although I would agree withwhateve rep told you that it sees to be a pretty decent process as the lapels can move over themselves a bit as if it was half canvassed.

That being said, feeling these I probably wouldn't buy either Armani for myself at full price, though they both have good fusing the construction and I guess what you all call drape comparedtothe canalis don't stack up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads