• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

arm length - thoughts?

francis_t

Reaction score
What do you guys think - too long or OK?

If I stretch out (one of the photos) the cufflink section of fabric can almost pop out and get caught, requiring me to pop it back into the shirt sleeve. Could be the design, and as I say, it only happens if I've really really reaching:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from these pics; you need to post some proper pics with your arms next to your body (with and without cufflinks and with and without jacket). Jacket sleeves may just be too short...

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may not be the only problem, but a good part of it is that your cuffs are way too big for your wrist. They are appear to be bigger than the sleeves of your jacket, which would explain why they "pop out" and won't slide back in.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably due to a combination of factors, including cuffs that are too big on your shirt and the jacket not fitting properly. I have a blazer that has lower armholes and needs to be taken in more in the chest/back. When I stretch for something in this jacket, the armhole moves closer to my body and it exposes an additional inch of my shirt sleeve. If I wear a shirt that is too long with a loose cuff, it exacerbates the issue.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
most likely the cuff is too large and the jackets armholes too deep.
the shirt cuff can be made smaller. the armhole is hopeless.

francis_t

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

So I'll take the shirt in for the cuffs, what do you think about the length of the arm (new photos attached)

Where does the optimum shirt finish?

For that matter, where does the optimum suit jacket arm finish?

Thanks guys and thanks A_Tailor

Millerp

Reaction score
Just so you'll know when you talk to your tailor and shirtmaker -
You have arms.
Your jackets and shirts have sleeves. :)

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just so you'll know when you talk to your tailor and shirtmaker -
You have arms.
Your jackets and shirts have sleeves. :)

Nevertheless, the OP is still entitled to an answer to his question. As best I can tell from the photos, his arm length is right on the mark. His arms appear to reach all the way from his shoulders to his wrists. Of course, the test is not as exact as the one for leg length: i.e., when one is standing are one's legs long enough so that one's feet just touch the ground? If yes, perfect leg length.

intfxdx

Reaction score

Thanks for the comments.
So I'll take the shirt in for the cuffs, what do you think about the length of the arm (new photos attached)
Where does the optimum shirt finish?
For that matter, where does the optimum suit jacket arm finish?
Thanks guys and thanks A_Tailor

I think they are a little bit long.. it's not easy to notice because as cuffs are large they easily cover your hands, shirt length should end at the wrist line..

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, actually the shirt sleeve should hit just at the base of the thumb joint which is ~1/2 inch from the wrist (depends on how you measure). A longer sleeve is OK if the cuff fits properly and doesn't slip down over the hand. Oversize cuffs are common on ready to wear shirts.

Your shirt sleeve length looks OK. Tighten up cuffs if possible, leave room for your watch.

UltraMagnetical

Reaction score

Eh, actually the shirt sleeve should hit just at the base of the thumb joint which is ~1/2 inch from the wrist (depends on how you measure).  A longer sleeve is OK if the cuff fits properly and doesn't slip down over the hand.  Oversize cuffs are common on ready to wear shirts.

Your shirt sleeve length looks OK.  Tighten up cuffs if possible, leave room for your watch.

How much do you guys think a button on a cuff can be moved? I looked at some cheap shirts with 2 buttons on them and they are about an 1" apart.....so based on that, would 1" be the most a button should be moved?

Millerp

Reaction score

Nevertheless, the OP is still entitled to an answer to his question. As best I can tell from the photos, his arm length is right on the mark. His arms appear to reach all the way from his shoulders to his wrists. Of course, the test is not as exact as the one for leg length: i.e., when one is standing are one's legs long enough so that one's feet just touch the ground? If yes, perfect leg length.

Correct, however the confusion lies in the fact that while sleeve is the correct term for the fabric of a shirt or jacket
that covers a person's arm, no separate or distinct term exists (in English) for the trouser fabric that covers
a person's leg. Hence the use of leg in that instance is correct.

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i will assume this is a rtw shirt and your wrists are smaller then average.
there is nothing you can do with this shirt to correct the problem.

also your jacket sleeves are shorter then average.
and possible slimmer then other suits you own.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, I believe the proper test for arm length is that OP's wingspan should be approximately the same length as his height. If his wingspan greatly exceeds his height, we can assume that his family tree is not far removed from the chimps at the zoo and shoud be happy he has evolved to the point of wearing a jacket. If his wingspan is considerably shorter than his height, perhaps there is a family connection with T-Rex and OP should go bespoke to deal with his short arm problem. OP, please advise on how your wingspan compares to your height, and we will let you know if your arm length is an issue.

buzzron

Reaction score
Well, the first thing I noticed as mentioned is that the cuffs look too big for your wrists.
6241.gif

This one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads