1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Arm Bands.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Aug 8, 2007.

1. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

I think they fall back to the days of the printing press and one trying to avoid ink on your sleaves.

My father used a set that he passed to me exactly like the ones in the photo. I have a second set at the office that I do use once in a while which are thinner and wrapped in pink and blue cloth.

I find that on a monday when the AC has been off during the weekend sliding these into a rolled cuff keeps it well placed all day. Don't know if this is how they are to be used but it works like a charm.

2. Chauncey Gardner

Chauncey Gardner Well-Known Member

For their mix of style and utility, there's nothing that beats arm bands. I'm quite fond of wearing them, sometimes for adjusting a wonky shirt-sleeve length under my jacket and more often simply for the way they look when I remove my jacket. They give a touch of style, which besides getting interest suggests authority.

Consider how helpful they are for keeping shirt cuffs clean when jacketless, or for keeping the cuffs dry when washing one's hands.

I always wear them when I give a slide presentation, or am working with photographs or art work, for I don't want to go to the trouble of removing my cuff links, and arm bands allow me to adjust my sleeves quickly so I don't knock over stacks of slides or scratch art. Yes, I find them virtually essential in my wardrobe.

3. jkennett

jkennett Senior member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    They remind me of "Captain's" armbands that you put on the football (soccer) pitch. I'd as soon just get the shirts tailored to the correct length since I'm not working with an antique printing press (or whatever it was originally intended for).

4. Carruthers

Carruthers Member

I was under the impression that these sort of armbands are a holdover from the days when RTW shirts were even more generically-sized because everyone wore removable collars AND cuffs. Because sleeves were generally too long and one's jacket was more often left on all day I think they were used more widely than just by those operating printing presses.

The best modern use of them I have seen was by the waiters at a fairly old-fashioned Toronto steakhouse who make putting these armbands on part of the ceremony of the table-side caesar salad making performance.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I wear them occasionally, with some shirts that are a little too long in the sleeve but I don't feel are worth the expense of shortening. They're functional, easy to use and look quite nice in a somewhat archaic way when the jacket's off. Can't see a problem with them, and lots of advantages.

6. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I have a pair that I use with a couple of old Hathaway shirts that I purchased at the factory in Prescott -- I got the sleeve length wrong (too long) and these are the simple way to resolve that problem.

I never remove my jacket in public, so they are never seen. The only problem with them is that they necessarily constrict the arm a little, so I will not wear them (or those shirts) if I am in for a longish day at the office. I have not experienced a problem with my suit linings as a result of wearing them.

As my shirts are increasingly custom made, I don't expect to wear them beyond the lifespan of the Hathaway shirts.

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I was under the impression that these sort of armbands are a holdover from the days when RTW shirts were even more generically-sized because everyone wore removable collars AND cuffs. Because sleeves were generally too long and one's jacket was more often left on all day I think they were used more widely than just by those operating printing presses.

The best modern use of them I have seen was by the waiters at a fairly old-fashioned Toronto steakhouse who make putting these armbands on part of the ceremony of the table-side caesar salad making performance.

You are correct on both accounts.

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

They remind me of "Captain's" armbands that you put on the football (soccer) pitch. I'd as soon just get the shirts tailored to the correct length since I'm not working with an antique printing press (or whatever it was originally intended for).

Attachment 5252

9. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Does anyone know who still sells these?

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

11. Patrick06790

Patrick06790 Senior member

I wear them occasionally, with some shirts that are a little too long in the sleeve but I don't feel are worth the expense of shortening. They're functional, easy to use and look quite nice in a somewhat archaic way when the jacket's off. Can't see a problem with them, and lots of advantages.

What he said.

12. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I'd like to get some just to wear with a vest, boater and bowtie.

13. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

I made a bespoke pair for myself (elastic strips measured and stitched) when a shirt I wanted to wear showed simply too much cuff. People who pay to get their sleeves shortened are suckas. And probably are employed.

14. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Do the sleeves *have* to be too long? I would just assume wear some with my regular shirts. I think some wider sleeves would help the effect actually. I have altered most my shirts to have very slim sleeves.