1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Arm Bands.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Aug 8, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

For my 10,000th post, I feel this is appropriate. Does anyone wear armbands, such as those made by Albert Thurston? No, not our SoCal2NYC's Thom Browne armbands but these: [​IMG] Now, I don't have my shirts custom-made so the sleeves can sometimes present something of a problem under jackets.

2. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I've seen them here at the Tie Rack and though about as I have 3 shirts that were bought with the wrong sleeve lenght ( too long )...

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I've seen them here at the Tie Rack and though about as I have 3 shirts that were bought with the wrong sleeve lenght ( too long )...

How interesting--the Tie Rack here in the U.S. sells middling quality women's scarves and ties.

4. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Well, Here they sell obviously ties but also many interesting objects I buy when they do their annual sales.

I have many bow-ties, silk braces, printed scarves, a pair of silk formal scarves ( one black one white, great for white/black tie ), two sided printed silk/wool scarves, novelty cuff-links and tie bars, novelty socks, bought for cheap...

However I haven't seen the armbands for sale yet. But they are not so expensive... around $30 I think

5. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

6. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

For my 10,000th post, I feel this is appropriate.

Does anyone wear armbands, such as those made by Albert Thurston? No, not our SoCal2NYC's Thom Browne armbands but these:

[​IMG]

Now, I don't have my shirts custom-made so the sleeves can sometimes present something of a problem under jackets.

I bought a pair once but my arms are 18" around and I nearly popped them. Also there's the risk you damage your suit sleeve lining.

7. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wouldn't wear those, but if I did it would be on a shirt sleeve not a suit sleeve and ideally I'd be dealing cards and wearing a visor.

8. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

According to the New York Times, some members of the Bangkok police department may be wearing certain armbands. [​IMG]

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I've only ever seen these on the women at my office. Then again, it must be said, that I am the only man in long sleeves. We won't even discuss wearing ties/jackets/shoes with laces.

10. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I wouldn't wear those, but if I did it would be on a shirt sleeve not a suit sleeve and ideally I'd be dealing cards and wearing a visor.

I have a velvet painting like that but the players are all dogs.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Those Old West ones seemed to look like lace garters.

The Albert Thurston ones are for wearing on a shirt sleeve. It would be odd wearing mesh things on a suit jacket sleeve.

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Does anyone wear armbands, such as those made by Albert Thurston? No, not our SoCal2NYC's Thom Browne armbands but these:

[​IMG]

Now, I don't have my shirts custom-made so the sleeves can sometimes present something of a problem under jackets.

I have the same exact pair. I wear them whenever necessary.

13. juniper

juniper Senior member

[​IMG]

I wear them whenever needed, unless it's summer (too hot), or I know I'll be taking the jacket off (looks goofy).

14. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

I don't get it. How do you put them on?

15. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Do they really help that much when your shirt sleeves will be in a jacket anyway? What is their primary purpose, to hold the sleeves tighter or to hold them up higher?

16. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

I always thought they were to keep the sleeves shorter (useful if you're pouring drinks or dealing cards, so you don't get dirty and can't hide things up your sleeve). Why would you do that under a jacket? Don't you WANT to show a sleeve?

17. juniper

juniper Senior member

I don't get it. How do you put them on?

They go over the shirt-sleeves, so as to keep the length correct relative to the jacket. Or simply to keep the shirt-sleeves out of the way (if you're a telegraph operator!)

18. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Aaah ok. I think the fact that they were cinched in the middle confused me. [​IMG]

19. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Senior member

I don't wear them anymore, but when I was younger (maybe 9-13) I had a tux (tails, tophat, the works) that I wore for performances that I'd picked up when a local clothier shut its doors. At the time, the only accompanying ruffled (yes, I know) shirts I could find to fit my neck were FAR too long in the sleeves. A similar product was purchased to adjust the sleeve length. They worked rather well, if I remember correctly, though they might not have been the most comfortable solution.

Now days, I just try to buy the correct size, or barring that, take it to a tailor.

20. 42 Dandy

42 Dandy Active Member

[​IMG] -good one!