Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Aristocratic clothes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rankiz, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

Is there still possible to obtain clothes similar to what the dukes and earls used in England? I've fallen in love with the details and clothing style, it is something more extraordinary than just a simple suit. I felt like I should've lived 130 years ago.

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

If you're talking about things like frock coats, then it would all have been made bespoke then, and you would need to get a bespoke tailor to make it now (if you can even find one with any experience making that kind of thing).

3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

4. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

You'll probably have to go to a costume maker for period garments. Where they make that sort of thing for movies, TV and re-enactments. Maybe something like this: http://www.ushist.com/19th-century_wardrobe_f.shtml
    Nope, that is not close to being sofisticated/elegant. Something like this: [​IMG]

5. rms344

rms344 Member

Ede and Ravenscroft does court dress and most of the robes and vestments worn in ceremonial processions. They can probably do whatever you would want but it'll cost you.

6. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

If you were inspired by the way the dressed before, what would you do to make your suit/outfit more linked to that period? A specific dress jacket that will fit well? Big loops the picture I linked to, was that normal? Any specific shoes I would opt for? If you know anything about it, feel free to share.

7. comrade

comrade Senior member

8. landshark

landshark Senior member

Maybe to keep it more modern, wear a 3 piece suit with a traditional length overcoat.

9. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

If you were inspired by the way the dressed before, what would you do to make your suit/outfit more linked to that period? A specific dress jacket that will fit well? Big loops the picture I linked to, was that normal? Any specific shoes I would opt for? If you know anything about it, feel free to share.

I'm sure that outfit would be fine at a costume party, or on Halloween. But I wouldn't try to "link" my outfit to that period, that would be far too costumed and affected.

10. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

That just a double breast vest + topcoat + trousers. You don't have to go to a custom shop for that.

11. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I don't think it's affected at all, just extremely eccentric.

The picture you linked is a Japanese cartoon representation of vintage English clothing, and as such is generic and isn't based in a specific 'real' period. You need to identify which specific & real period you're interested in before anyone can help you.

12. ShaneB

ShaneB Senior member

How about the Regency 'bad boy' look:

[​IMG]

13. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

14. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

There are ways and means of assembling the requisite outfit - Favourbrook might be a good start, as when I last looked they offered suitable shirts, cossack trousers, etc, whilst there is at least one waistcoat maker selling via eBay who offers a passable waistcoat. Frock coats have experienced a bit of a vogue for wedding hire purposes, so that might be another avenue, and emporai catering for the Steampunk crowd might be another.

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

[​IMG]

Come on, that's archaic. More like this:

[​IMG]