• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arguments against wearing business shirts in casual enviornments?

Ethan87

Reaction score
What are the arguments against wearing a business shirt/dress shirt in a casual setting like on the street, home, family, etc?

Last edited:

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I don't feel like adding more to my 'hand-wash load' than necessary.

Ethan87

Reaction score
Well I see most people here on this forum wear 'Streetwear and Denim' and on the otherside there are people who wear dress shirts and suits. My question is why shouldn't one wear dress shirts in casual enviornments?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no reason you can't wear a dress shirt in a casual environment, but that is what the Men's Clothing forum is for, whereas you posted this in Streetwear & Denim. (N.B. both forums encompass casual-wear.)

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
OP let me guess what you are wearing

- Stiff, billowy Banana Republic dress shirt tucked into 7 for All Mankind jeans.
- Oversized point collar w/ no tie, exposing crew-neck undershirt and silver chain
- Crocodile print Aldo shoes w/ egregious silver buckles.
- Kenneth Cole rectangular-faced fashion watch
- Armani Code effusively applied, especially in genital region

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe you're looking for the MC section.

mmmmpay

Reaction score
I will respond on the assumption that by business shirt you mean dress shirt and by casual environment you mean environment where so-called streetwear is appropriate.

Really what I mean is that I'm going to pretend you asked is, "Can I wear a dress shirt to the bar on Saturdays?"

And to this I reply "Yes, you can. But I recommend wearing dress pants and dress shoes and a jacket, and and that point, well, as everyone else says, you're better off in the men's clothing forum."

But if you mean to ask, "Can I wear a dress shirt untucked with a pair of jeans?" then I reply, "I do not recommend that look, as I believe clothing generally should be worn for its intended purpose. And wearing a dress shirt in such a manner says less "I proudly affront convention" and more "I am uninterested in my appearance."

So I suppose my argument against a dress shirt in a casual environment really is, a dress shirt should not be in casual outfit. Or something like that.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear mtm Borrelli, RTW BB, and other assorted brands of button down and spread collar shirts virtually every day. 80% of the time with jeans for the last 7 years. I wore a BB BD to the flea market today along with jeans.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can also make someone seem clueless or uptight. Depends on the business shirt. A bright pattern or non-standard color usually makes a dress shirt casual enough.

Another argument is that dress shirts need more careful laundering than, say, polo shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads