• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Argentina (Buenos Aires, specifically)!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Folks:

After Easter, I go to Buenos Aires for two weeks.

First time.

Forumites may recall I announced this last year, but that trip got cancelled. So this is the first time for real.

Seeking all tips re clothing leather goods, etc.

Over on LL, RWS described getting some suits made there. I don't think I have the time (sure don't have the need), but I may try a shirtmaker he mentioned.

I know we have Argentines and folks with Argentine experience, so any must looks, must do's and must-buy rec's will be noted.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ice cream! Steak! Wine! Go nuts, eat like a king for a week. Get a massage, order some bespoke leather goods. Try to bring some back to resell to us forumites. Take cabs everywhere. Live it up. The art museums are good. Be sure to visit Teatro Colon, even if just for a tour.

A random thing, but if you're Jewish (or just interested in history like me), try to visit AMIA, the Argentine Jewish mutual-aid society. Their headquarters were bombed in '94, two years after the Israeli embassy was destroyed, which was across the street from my apartment there. I did research at the new AMIA headquarters, and it was all very fascinating. I think they have a gallery and rotating exhibits on the Jewish community, the bombing, etc. http://www.amia.org.ar/en/

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Ice cream! Steak! Wine! Go nuts, eat like a king for a week. Get a massage, order some bespoke leather goods. Try to bring some back to resell to us forumites. Take cabs everywhere. Live it up. The art museums are good. Be sure to visit Teatro Colon, even if just for a tour.

A random thing, but if you're Jewish (or just interested in history like me), try to visit AMIA, the Argentine Jewish mutual-aid society. Their headquarters were bombed in '94, two years after the Israeli embassy was destroyed, which was across the street from my apartment there. I did research at the new AMIA headquarters, and it was all very fascinating. I think they have a gallery and rotating exhibits on the Jewish community, the bombing, etc. http://www.amia.org.ar/en/

I was there when it was bombed. My unless store is a few blocks away and his windows were shattered from the force of the impact. It is very hard to get into Jewish facilities in BsAs, as they are always in lockdown and the security is insane.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Dear Folks:

After Easter, I go to Buenos Aires for two weeks.

First time.

Forumites may recall I announced this last year, but that trip got cancelled. So this is the first time for real.

Seeking all tips re clothing leather goods, etc.

Over on LL, RWS described getting some suits made there. I don't think I have the time (sure don't have the need), but I may try a shirtmaker he mentioned.

I know we have Argentines and folks with Argentine experience, so any must looks, must do's and must-buy rec's will be noted.

I'll post some more comprehensive info later.

Jon.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Jon.

I recall you had a beautiful BA photo post a while back; hope it survived the crash and/or you have it on your own HD.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Thanks, Jon.

I recall you had a beautiful BA photo post a while back; hope it survived the crash and/or you have it on your own HD.

I don't have it; I thought SF would last forever.
frown.gif
confused.gif

Jon.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The link does not work but the site's search function reveals your picture post, perfectly preserved.

vc2000

Reaction score
I just returned from BA. I didn't buy any custom clothing. I did buy leather from R&C. The custom leather houses seemed just too difficult to navigate for me. I would suspect a lot of marginal players that I wouldn't have been happy with...perhaps you have more patience or knowledge.

Be careful with the currency. It seems there is another wave of copied currency going around. The locals know quickly pick it up. Only cost me $10 but annoying anyway. I am sure a taxi driver passed it off to me. The copied currency feels different.

Not sure how long you are there but I needed a break from BA and took a side trip to Punta del este. A fun trip to the beach that can be cheap. Actually had a better steak there then BA.

Have fun.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting article on a BA haberdashery, from February in the NYT. Buenos Aires: Men's Wear By MATT GROSS Published: February 19, 2006 Buenos Aires is a city where, to the delight of Argentines and the chagrin of their neighbors, everybody always looks really, really good. The women are tall and longhaired, and so are the men, and the outfits they wear — a sexy South American riff on British polo garb — seem to fit just right. If there's any drawback at all to the look favored by Porteños (as residents of Buenos Aires are called), it's that it can be a little, well, monotonous. Another luxurious sweater-tweed combo? More butter-soft leather? Yes, you're hot, but so is everyone else, and in exactly the same way. Which is why a shop called Bolivia, in the chic Palermo Viejo shopping district, is so refreshing. Here, in a clubby, wood-floored space, with framed Sgt. Pepper and Bruce Lee posters on the wall and a model Citroën sitting on a shelf, you find men's wear for the punk prepster, the freethinking fop, the fashionable gentleman who isn't quite ready to leave his boyhood behind. The clothes, mostly designed by Bolivia's owner, Gustavo Samuelian, are studies in playful contrast: A green corduroy blazer has a sky blue lining with white polka dots, and the English-style dress shirts look great paired with distressed-leather bomber jackets in green or maroon. A Mr. T T-shirt is, as it surely should be, pink. Virtually every piece is embroidered, stickered, screen-printed or otherwise customized by hand. My favorites are the fuzzy V-neck sweaters, appliquÃ
00a9.png
d with big, floral-patterned kangaroos, elephants and other animals. (Wear one to a party, and everyone will comment on it. Everyone.) Military fashion also figures heavily into Mr. Samuelian's Andes-dandy aesthetic — vintage camouflage shorts and tote bags and so on, from the Argentine, American, British and German armed forces. But even an olive-drab jacket has not only insignia patches but also a shiny purple horse — or could that be a pony? — on the pocket. Perfect for the straight guy who's not afraid to have people think he's a little bit gay (and vice-versa). None of this really has anything to do with Bolivia qua Bolivia, except that Mr. Samuelian's mother-in-law hails from there, but national origins are beside the point here. What matters is a mixing — of eras, styles and genders — that upends traditional notions of masculine dress. And with a kitty-cat on your chest and bulldogs on your bright-blue socks, you needn't be tall or longhaired to be hot. (Though it still helps.) Bolivia, Gurruchaga 1581, Palermo Viejo, Buenos Aires, Argentina; (54-11) 4832-6284 www.boliviaonline.com.ar

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Interesting. Thanks for posting, Mack. I'm now planning a trip for October, so a full report from your trip would be excellent. Where are you staying?

chorse,

what were you researching?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads