• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aren't you bored yet?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Let's not forget that one of the protagonists 'allegedly' set up, at his own expense 'allegedly', a site with the sole mission of lampooning...er sorry, bashing the other protagonist 'Allegedly'

What? Tweed in the City is good natured. There's no bashing at all.

I challenge anyone to demonstrate anything to the contrary.

- B

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Tweed in the City is good natured. There's no bashing at all.

true

g.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Let's not forget that one of the protagonists 'allegedly' set up, at his own expense 'allegedly', a site with the sole mission of lampooning...er sorry, bashing the other protagonist 'Allegedly'

I thought doing that myself after my punch-up with Foo but he had already created Tweed in the city to destroy me...
laugh.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I thought doing that myself after my punch-up with Foo but he had already created Tweed in the city to destroy me...
laugh.gif

You are familiar with the word seppuku?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
What? Tweed in the City is good natured. There's no bashing at all. I challenge anyone to demonstrate anything to the contrary. - B
No..
imgp4143.jpg

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I am. Isn't anyone else?

At a certain point, I have to believe one has finished learning most of what he needs to dress well and can move on with his life, without the need for continuous, focussed study. For the most part, personal style should be developed personally, no?

I feel that I've benefitted most from user-oriented technical discussions and lessons with respect to tradition and rules. All the other stuff--the stuff that is supposed to "inspire"--falls flat 99% of the time. Some of you look great to me, and a lot of you don't, but even the ones who look great don't much affect my own habits or tastes. At least, not consciously. It's not that I don't appreciate good style in other people, just that I'm not particularly interested in studying it. I almost never check WAYWRN. It's a circus in there, with all the good and bad that entails.

Certainly, there is overlap between learning to dress well oneself and observing how others dress, but I think it's all too easy to unconsciously wade from emphasizing the former to emphasizing the latter. At that point, it's inevitably more about the clothes than about dressing stylishly, and the last thing I want to be is a clotheshorse or a hobbyist. All I can say is that I am more convinced then ever that you really can't learn to have personal style.

Seriously, how many of us would actually dress better if we didn't pay so much attention to clothes? At the very least, I think we'd see fewer ugly, mismatched pocket squares. At the best, there would fewer try-hard, look-at-what-I-bought outfits. Then, maybe, things wouldn't be so boring.

A bump seemed apropos in light of the recent threads.

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
I just got here, so I'm having a ball.

In light of the recent threads, probably the pithiest thing that's been said on SF in weeks.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Are you bored because you've learned everything there is to know, or because you dislike what others wear? It could be both but they're not the same thing.

What follows is cynical but plausible in many respects...

Ultimately, I think none of us is really here for the clothes. When we dress, we seek to project a certain image. People come to SF wanting to be James Bond or Carey Grant and all while learning the rules of fashion become part of the SF club. As one's acquisition of sartorial knowledge plateaus, the club becomes everything. It's the reason why people ostensibly drawn together for one reason (clothing) actually spend nearly all of their time here discussing politics, internet humour and lifestyle. I'd say 90% of threads in MC are started by people with <200 posts.

We're all men between 20 and 40, upper-middle class to wealthy, occidental, well-educated and well-employed (or on our way). We're rank materialists who enjoy the finer things in life and are encouraged to do without criticism here. People either indulge in their own fantasies of leisure, travel, sex and consumption by telling stories about them, or live vicariously through those of others. The SF uniform is a badge that identifies you as someone who "gets it." The pocket square is the SF secret handshake. Same as 3-roll-2, large cuffs and knit ties. Criticizing someone's look is often a way of demonstrating your superior knowledge of the rules, and thus superior status in the group. Approval of a look is often done on the basis of groupthink.

All of which to say that to be bored by SF because you don't find the clothes interesting anymore means you are the ultimate clotheshorse/hobbyist and have missed the point entirely. Look at Manton FFS. All he writes about now is his cooking and the youtube videos he discovers 5 years after the rest of the planet. Yet he sticks around. And when he complains about the forum, it's not to say that people have no taste or dress poorly, it's that they act like classless lunatics with no respect. He's taking the group to task for being anti-social, more or less.

It's the social that dominates. Clothing is just the catalyst.

EDIT: Shucks, I made the mistake of posting seriously in a thread headed straight to DT.

So much win...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics