1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Aren't you bored yet?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Mar 12, 2010.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=170345
    That's a dumb thread. This is a smart one--on account that it is mine. Faulty reasoning? I think not. As proof, Creepy Sartorial Images survives in MC to this day.

2. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

That's a dumb thread. This is a smart one--on account that it is mine. Faulty reasoning? I think not. As proof, Creepy Sartorial Images survives in MC to this day.

[​IMG]

I now know how he feels.

3. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Are you bored because you've learned everything there is to know, or because you dislike what others wear? It could be both but they're not the same thing. What follows is cynical but plausible in many respects... Ultimately, I think none of us is really here for the clothes. When we dress, we seek to project a certain image. People come to SF wanting to be James Bond or Carey Grant and all while learning the rules of fashion become part of the SF club. As one's acquisition of sartorial knowledge plateaus, the club becomes everything. It's the reason why people ostensibly drawn together for one reason (clothing) actually spend nearly all of their time here discussing politics, internet humour and lifestyle. I'd say 90% of threads in MC are started by people with <200 posts. We're all men between 20 and 40, upper-middle class to wealthy, occidental, well-educated and well-employed (or on our way). We're rank materialists who enjoy the finer things in life and are encouraged to do without criticism here. People either indulge in their own fantasies of leisure, travel, sex and consumption by telling stories about them, or live vicariously through those of others. The SF uniform is a badge that identifies you as someone who "gets it." The pocket square is the SF secret handshake. Same as 3-roll-2, large cuffs and knit ties. Criticizing someone's look is often a way of demonstrating your superior knowledge of the rules, and thus superior status in the group. Approval of a look is often done on the basis of groupthink. All of which to say that to be bored by SF because you don't find the clothes interesting anymore means you are the ultimate clotheshorse/hobbyist and have missed the point entirely. Look at Manton FFS. All he writes about now is his cooking and the youtube videos he discovers 5 years after the rest of the planet. Yet he sticks around. And when he complains about the forum, it's not to say that people have no taste or dress poorly, it's that they act like classless lunatics with no respect. He's taking the group to task for being anti-social, more or less. It's the social that dominates. Clothing is just the catalyst. EDIT: Shucks, I made the mistake of posting seriously in a thread headed straight to DT.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I wonder how someone who's only interested in wearing one shoe and wearing only blue or blue striped shirt could ever get bored with the topic of clothing.... hmmm... :scratchhead:

5. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

So you want to end in a Styleforvm re-education camp?

6. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I only check styleforum for vox's snark.
    in his mouth?

It melts in his mouth not in his hand.

I know everyone is going to think that I am joking--and I am not sure how to preemptively convince you otherwise--so I'll just throw it out there: Satanism. Have you ever heard of a bored devil-worshipper? No. That is just not how it works.
    Meh. I got along OK with the one real Satanist I've met, but it's not my scene.

7. weilian

weilian Senior member

So whats the plan to not be bored?

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Are you bored because you've learned everything there is to know, or because you dislike what others wear? It could be both but they're not the same thing.

What follows is cynical but plausible in many respects...

Ultimately, I think none of us is really here for the clothes. When we dress, we seek to project a certain image. People come to SF wanting to be James Bond or Carey Grant and all while learning the rules of fashion become part of the SF club. As one's acquisition of sartorial knowledge plateaus, the club becomes everything. It's the reason why people ostensibly drawn together for one reason (clothing) actually spend nearly all of their time here discussing politics, internet humour and lifestyle. I'd say 90% of threads in MC are started by people with <200 posts.

We're all men between 20 and 40, upper-middle class to wealthy, occidental, well-educated and well-employed (or on our way). We're rank materialists who enjoy the finer things in life and are encouraged to do without criticism here. People either indulge in their own fantasies of leisure, travel, sex and consumption by telling stories about them, or live vicariously through those of others. The SF uniform is a badge that identifies you as someone who "gets it." The pocket square is the SF secret handshake. Same as 3-roll-2, large cuffs and knit ties. Criticizing someone's look is often a way of demonstrating your superior knowledge of the rules, and thus superior status in the group. Approval of a look is often done on the basis of groupthink.

All of which to say that to be bored by SF because you don't find the clothes interesting anymore means you are the ultimate clotheshorse/hobbyist and have missed the point entirely. Look at Manton FFS. All he writes about now is his cooking and the youtube videos he discovers 5 years after the rest of the planet. Yet he sticks around. And when he complains about the forum, it's not to say that people have no taste or dress poorly, it's that they act like classless lunatics with no respect. He's taking the group to task for being anti-social, more or less.

It's the social that dominates. Clothing is just the catalyst.

EDIT: Shucks, I made the mistake of posting seriously in a thread headed straight to DT.

It is true that Style forum has a very class-led structure .

It is very ivy league with a vast array of brillliant minds making difficult for a silent majority of Sfers to participate to certain debates without showing their ignorance.

Egos are endlessly competing with each other and power struggles are common affairs.

SF can be sometimes a difficult place to be especially for a beginner just starting on his sartorial journey.

On a more positive note , most of the Sfers are well-educated intelligent wealthy professionals who are able to show real camaderie ...
    We also have an interesting mix of outsiders bringing their own set of values and creative sartorial vision to the forum.

I do agree we're coming here for more than pure sartorial information .
    SF is like the equivalent of a hedonistic gentlemen's club where we're free to spend hours arguing about cuffs without being perceived by our peers as lunatics..

I'm evolving in a lower middle class and it is impossible to find anyone sharing my own passions for bespoke garments..

SF is still a great place to be with great personalities offering more than simple etiquette advice pure witty entertainment...

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

Really?

You will only wear for OneShoe and shirts in a single shade, you start threads ostensibly to seek advice which you will ignore since you've made up your mind, you foof photos (sometimes without being asked) to look like larger versions of you with more or less exactly the same cut, shoulder style, gorge, drape, etc...

...and now you're bored? Really?

10. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Really?

You will only wear for OneShoe and shirts in a single shade, you start threads ostensibly to seek advice which you will ignore since you've made up your mind, you foof photos (sometimes without being asked) to look like larger versions of you with more or less exactly the same cut, shoulder style, gorge, drape, etc...

...and now you're bored? Really?

[​IMG]

11. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

I voted yes for my own reasons. I'm not really interested in the pile-on that this thread is certain to become. Well, I'm kind of interested.

12. hossoso

hossoso Senior member

Meh. I got along OK with the one real Satanist I've met, but it's not my scene.

That's fine, great-whatever. If I don't convert two asians to Satanism today I'm going to be in a lot of fucking trouble.

13. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

Yes, exactly. The sad thing is that Styleforum has made me dress in such a way that all my real life friends think I'm too weird for them. Now, it's just me, the internet, and my inner darkness.

Pics, or it didn't happen

14. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you bored because you've learned everything there is to know, or because you dislike what others wear? It could be both but they're not the same thing.

Neither. I don't think I know everything, but I think I know enough to do reasonably well on auto-pilot and deal with any deficits as they come along. There is always more to learn, but you can only learn so much in life, and I don't want my life to be about clothes.

Ultimately, I think none of us is really here for the clothes. When we dress, we seek to project a certain image. People come to SF wanting to be James Bond or Carey Grant and all while learning the rules of fashion become part of the SF club. As one's acquisition of sartorial knowledge plateaus, the club becomes everything. It's the reason why people ostensibly drawn together for one reason (clothing) actually spend nearly all of their time here discussing politics, internet humour and lifestyle. I'd say 90% of threads in MC are started by people with <200 posts.

Speaking for myself, I disagree. I came here specifically to learn about clothes. I might have stayed for other reasons, but I wouldn't be here if it weren't a forum dedicated to how men dress.

Moreover, believe it or not, I see no value in belonging to the 'club'--though, I believe it exists. For all the accusations lobbed at me for being a groupthink victim, I'm also constantly criticized for being too stubbornly, arrogantly, eccentrically different. Now, a person who likes to concoct complex explanations might interpret this dichotomy as a two-prongued, confused scheme to project a false individuality to a group whose approval I desperately crave, but I think the simpler, more convincing explanation is that I never particularly cared about being accepted.

That said, the forum covers a diverse range of topics with a reasonably well-educated membership, which makes it a good place to chat.

People either indulge in their own fantasies of leisure, travel, sex and consumption by telling stories about them, or live vicariously through those of others. The SF uniform is a badge that identifies you as someone who "gets it." The pocket square is the SF secret handshake. Same as 3-roll-2, large cuffs and knit ties. Criticizing someone's look is often a way of demonstrating your superior knowledge of the rules, and thus superior status in the group. Approval of a look is often done on the basis of groupthink.

I have no doubt that many here dress to fulfill a fantasy, but that's not me, and I don't think we're all like that. I don't particularly care to look like Bond or JFK--and frankly, I don't often get the appeal ascribed to many of the forum's idols.

All of which to say that to be bored by SF because you don't find the clothes interesting anymore means you are the ultimate clotheshorse/hobbyist and have missed the point entirely. Look at Manton FFS. All he writes about now is his cooking and the youtube videos he discovers 5 years after the rest of the planet. Yet he sticks around. And when he complains about the forum, it's not to say that people have no taste or dress poorly, it's that they act like classless lunatics with no respect. He's taking the group to task for being anti-social, more or less.

So, how does one not be a clotheshorse and hobbyist? Come to the forum, learn, then leave? Come to the forum, learn, and stay to chat about cooking? Come to the forum, don't learn, don't leave? Don't come to the forum?

So you want to end in a Styleforvm re-education camp?

We are all in a Styleforum re-education camp.

15. Enforcicon

Enforcicon Active Member

Well, seeing as how I just recently discovered SF (and quite possibly style in general), I am still reasonably interested. I do like seeing what other people on SF are wearing, and I don't even mind the snarky criticisms of my outfits. I am only 24 and being the only one of my friends with a &quot;real job&quot; and not having my father around anymore (he passed away in 2008) to offer his advice, I find SF to be the only place for me to get style questions answered (reasonably) intelligently.

16. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

Foo, I respectfully (yah right, bullshit) disagree with everything you say, stand for and know. You are wrong in every aspect and I think you should know that. Any response to this message will also be discarded and thought to be wrong. Good day sir.

17. Kei-bon

Kei-bon Senior member

It is very ivy league with a vast array of brillliant minds making difficult for a silent majority of Sfers to participate to certain debates without showing their ignorance.
    you have some evidence of this?

18. youngScholar

youngScholar Senior member

Gee, now that you're a level 99 iGent all you have left to do is fight the end boss of teh forvm and be done with it.

19. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Senior member

all you have left to do is fight the end boss of teh forvm and be done with it.

Who would that be? More importantly, what kind of weapon would be needed to defeat him?