• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Aren't ladies' shirts supposed to be tucked in?

blahblahblah

Reaction score
I am shopping for my girlfriend, and realised that all the ladies' dress shirts I've seen, with no exception, are way too short to be tucked in (pants, skirt, whatever) - they end up at the waist. Even the MTM makers that offer ladies' shirt, in their measurement illustrations have them at the waist... And with classic curved tails too...

So what's up with that? the untucked look is awful, both on men and women. Well, ok, I don't mind shirts this short with low rise jeans and all, but how about business wear?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahblahblah
the untucked look is awful, both on men and women.

I'm sorry, but I categorically disagree with you on this.
Women look perfectly fine in a business/work environment with untucked dress shirts, provided that the shirt has been tailored to be worn that way. The problem with men trying to do this is, by convention, men's shirts are designed to be worn tucked, and typically have been tailored with this in mind (e.g., long tails, curved hems, etc.). Casual men's shirts are sometimes designed to be worn untucked, and these tend to have shorter hems, a closer fit to the body and/or straight hems. Womens' rules of style differ from those of men, and I don't think it makes sense to try and impose our fashion conventions on them.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LADIES are not supposed wear shirts anyway. Shirts are for men.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.