• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are your parents stylish / brand conscious?

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phat's photo with him mother got me thinking about whether parents had any influence over their children's sartorial adventures.

My parents were rather stylish when they were young but they began to lag behind after having three kids. However, they weren't particularly into brands. On the other spectrum, the parents of some of my friends are really into high end clothing. A friend's mother has an extensive collections of Issey Miyaki while her father is into Japanese bespoke suits, including some gory examples from the sixties with peaked lapels and skin tight flairs accompanied by long collar shirts (he breaks these out everytime there is a sixites themed party).

How stylish are your parents? And if so, what brands are they into in a big way?

Gaz

Hany

Reaction score
Both of them are extremely elegant.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anon
my dad wears white mid-calf socks with his open-toed sandals

Ah! The pinnacle of middle American male fashion. And I only thought they did that when they visited other countries as a joke. Unless you are German. I've seen Germans dress like Americans.

Are the socks by Tom Ford?

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This deserves more elaboration later, but I'll point out that I wear a number of pieces inherited from or gifted by my father, especially shirts, ties and altered suits. The chances I take with colour are more derived from my mother, I think. They know their stuff

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
They both clean up very well (for the opera, a nice restaurant, etc.) but don't "dress up" for day-to-day things (including work).

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My mother is very elegant and somewhat trendy (=/). My dad - uhm...not so much. He does not care what he wears as long as it wasn't too expensive.

To tie it all together - I was taught nothing about clothes from my parents at all. I learned it all on my own (with my fair share of mistakes and faux pas) and of course with the help of SF (although - more for business attire than casual wear).

bullethead

Reaction score
My dad was stylish before he retired-lots of chalk striped db's and suede shoes.

Mom was, too. Taught me about trying to buy quality goods. After WWII (they were still in Europe) she told me how she once worked for a month for a certain skirt. She would cringe at some of the designer stuff i brought home in the late eighties, early nineties.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my mother very much so, she's always well dressed. My dad, not now but he was when he was younger.

My grandparents are very well dressed on both sides all the way through to my great grandpa who is turning 93 this year.

He had a suit bespoke by a Brooklyn, NY tailor for my cousin Anthony's wedding 2 years ago.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barims
This deserves more elaboration later, but I'll point out that I wear a number of pieces inherited from or gifted by my father, especially shirts, ties and altered suits. The chances I take with colour are more derived from my mother, I think. They know their stuff

Judging from your location, you have hit on a very important point about American vs English.

I would hypothesise that there is a higher probability that English participants of this forum and in general, would have more stylish parents than Americans. There is also a higher probability, like yourself, for inheriting fine bespoke clothes if you are English.

My second hypothesis is that there is a higher probability that Asian participants would have more brand conscious parents than others.

NOTE: I did state "higher probability" so there could be examples of the opposite but less likely in my opinion.

I wonder if KitonBrioni's kids (or had kids as I don't know his personal circumstance) dress as well as he does or would they rebel against a sartorial parent and dress cheap.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad used to wear the most baggy clothes you could imagine. He thought they were comfortable that way. His idea of a special brand was buying a flannel shirt from LL Bean. When he ordered wine it was "red". All of his ties had gravy spots on them and were as wide as a car. People really liked him because he was friendly and genuine. He wasn't out to impress anyone. Was he stylish? No. Did he have his own appealing style? Yes.

AdamInSF

Reaction score
Not even a little bit, although my step-father did pick up a new suit for my wedding, and seemed pretty excited about it.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
My mother is very elegant and somewhat trendy (=/). My dad - uhm...not so much. He does not care what he wears as long as it wasn't too expensive.

To tie it all together - I was taught nothing about clothes from my parents at all. I learned it all on my own (with my fair share of mistakes and faux pas) and of course with the help of SF (although - more for business attire than casual wear).

A good observation. Thanks for sharing.

My dad had a collection of loud paisley ties which I find a real turn off. He was a little price conscious too and hence many of his shirts were synthetic and not cotton, as were his suits and the scary safari suits I found. Talk about mosters in a wardrobe!

Gaz

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads