• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you turning into a gentleman?

Lear

Reaction score
I've already posted on how I went about acquiring the goods. Hadn't counted on this though...

When wearing a suit, I get a sense of a more refined and polite me. I don't know whether the suit actually changes the person, or whether I'm simply living up to an ideal that's been implanted in my brain. It's as if I'm obliged to live up to the suit. I've discovered a new version of myself, that's been dormant for years. Sometimes, I wonder if I'm just showing-off, and that the novelty of politeness will eventually fade away. After all, this is England, hardly the place to be a gent.

Do others have the same Clark Kent experiences when donning the worsted?

Lear

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found, 20 years ago, that I really needed to put on a suit and tie to focus, and so I have tried to do that since then. I find it totally changes my attitude towards everything around me. my wife thinks I'm crazy

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I have tried to live my life with a relatively high degree of respect and politeness. The wardrobe changes were the result of more disposable income and better knowledge gleaned through a variety of sources. So, no.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Actually, I have tried to live my life with a relatively high degree of respect and politeness. The wardrobe changes were the result of more disposable income and better knowledge gleaned through a variety of sources. So, no.
+1

bc78

Reaction score
I'd say I carry myself a bit more formally and confidently in a suit. I do try to be courteous all the time but I may seem more so when dressed up.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As once stated in the onion, a gentleman never goes ass to mouth.

Lear

Reaction score
Sounds like you've all arrived there. I'm still making the journey from Uncouthville, UK
smile.gif
Lear

Chouse

Reaction score
Nope... I'm an ass regardless of my attire.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bc78
I'd say I carry myself a bit more formally and confidently in a suit. I do try to be courteous all the time but I may seem more so when dressed up.
And let's not forget that it works boths ways. I believe that one of the reasons I behave in a more gentlemanly fashion when I'm properly dressed is that others treat me with greater deference and civility.

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
And let's not forget that it works boths ways. I believe that one of the reasons I behave in a more gentlemanly fashion when I'm properly dressed is that others treat me with greater deference and civility.

Very true.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
As once stated in the onion, a gentleman never goes ass to mouth.

aw, crap!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads