• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you the best dressed person at your job?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not drawstring wool dress pants, but I do appreciate some of these trends enough to try a piece or two. For example, I was thinking of a slimmer pair of drawstring shorts in terry or jersey cloth for the summer, and it's a welcome alternative to baggy sweatpants and might be an interesting change to the usual cotton or linen shorts.

Even t-shirts in normal stores seem to be getting better, with thicker cotton and sturdier collars.
I have a few pair of drawstring pants from Zegna and De Bonne Facture. The Zegna are gray wool for cooler weather and blue linen for summer. I wear them as “after work” pants around the house. Have worn the linen pants on summer vacations as they fit the vibe.

The DBF are a brown plaid and I might actually wear those out with a sweater or chore coat. Haven’t actually tried them yet.

Last edited:

jdgershbein

Reaction score
The default term, of course, is "classic menswear."
What's new is old; what's old is new.
The fashion industry can deal a cruel fate to fads.

Certainly, the pandemic has driven a more relaxed vibe in the workplace. I believe brands will continue to update the tried and true, incorporating and improving on what sticks.

My tastes have changed along with the trends. As a slender dude, I favor the "sleekification" of clothing and feel right at home wearing slim-fit trousers (although not the type that clings to the leg) in the business setting. I have acquired a few stretch blazers for summer that drape beautifully and exude an unmistakable professional aura. Come the fall/winter, I will be rocking a fleet of slim-fit knits and tweeds.

As for maintaining continuity in this thread, I suppose the compliments I receive are because I look like I know what I'm doing and don't attract attention to it. I am frequently sourced for style advice, which I am only happy to provide.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Zegna are gray wool for cooler weather and blue linen for summer. I wear them as “after work” pants around the house. Have worn the linen pants on summer vacations as they fit the vibe.
Anything distinctive about the Zegna that your tailor can't produce?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything distinctive about the Zegna that your tailor can't produce?
Not sure I would ever commission a pair of easy pants. Zegna is my favorite maker and I’m an easy fit as a 52L in jackets and a 35 in pants. No need to have something made when Zegna has so much well made stuff that fits me perfectly.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of blurring the lines...Just when you were afraid of being too "dressed up" at the office, Canali has come to the rescue with the Shacket, a colab with Esquire no less. You can now fool people into thinking you're wearing a smart sport coat (when really it's just a cardigan in disguise...shhhhh).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of blurring the lines...Just when you were afraid of being too "dressed up" at the office, Canali has come to the rescue with the Shacket, a colab with Esquire no less. You can now fool people into thinking you're wearing a smart sport coat (when really it's just a cardigan in disguise...shhhhh).
They sold out fast in my size.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked "unconstructed blazer" more lol. any WAYWN hall of fame shacket pics?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's not a new coinage - it's been around for years.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I would ever commission a pair of easy pants. Zegna is my favorite maker and I’m an easy fit as a 52L in jackets and a 35 in pants. No need to have something made when Zegna has so much well made stuff that fits me perfectly.
52 L, 35 waist, 17 inch drop. Typo? If not, it would seem that you might be a good future prospect for an alien autopsy, and/or did a lot of sports in college. If the latter, from your measurements, I might guess crew?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Imagine if this Canali product photo was in the Drake's thread

30274-CU03305-301_a_SCHEDA.jpeg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1644107
Imagine if Canali advanced the idea of an overshirt or knit tee/t-shirt under a SC and odd trousers. CM would've shat on both notions. Depending on the promoter, some ideas gain traction while others gets ridiculed. Imo, of course.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1644107
I like it. I got a somewhat similar pared down and unstructured jacket recently (not as nice as the Canali). My girlfriend thought I looked like a Russian peasant. Not the good, salt of the earth type, but rather the type that slept in ditches.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like unstructured. My partially lined Kiton cashmere jacket does just fine.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked "unconstructed blazer" more lol. any WAYWN hall of fame shacket pics?
Hard to wear for me even though I kind of like them. Too informal for work and it's usually too hot around here in the Summer for any kind fo tailoring
52 L, 35 waist, 17 inch drop. Typo? If not, it would seem that you might be a good future prospect for an alien autopsy, and/or did a lot of sports in college. If the latter, from your measurements, I might guess crew?
sorry, was mixing US and EU. In US I’m a 41/35 which is why I gravitated to the Italian 52L Drop 7 stuff I think. Hard to find 41 in US although Brooks used to have it and HF will sometimes. I end up getting a 42/36 and then have to seriously adjust it.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads