• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you stylish for the sake of yourself, or for others?

a-rock

Reaction score
The poll is missing the very important fourth choice: Stylish for the sake of anonymous men on the Internet.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
It's all about me.

To be about you , it must have been about others at a certain point of your life...Even the most anti-social sartorial accoutrements has some form of reference to others.

We all have chosen to wear certain garnments/styles to be part of or being outside the norm , the group reference.

It is only after a journey ,you can reach the nirvana when others are not that important anymore.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
I mostly dress for myself, but it gets a little complicated. When I dress for others, it is to feed my narcissism, so it is kinda like dressing for myself.

+10000

MrNick

Reaction score
If I was stylish for others I would be wearing a camo jacket or XXXL T-shirt where I live.

Lovellum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
The poll is missing the very important fourth choice: Stylish for the sake of anonymous men on the Internet.

They aren't anonymous if you know their internet handle.

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I wear the finest used clothing that can be purchased, I know that nobody will be dressing in finer clothes than me right down to my $340 Hermes boxer shorts (when I can find them used). I am untouchable. The fact that nobody else gives a **** doesn't matter, the fact that these slobs have women and I don't does bother me a bit.

presence

Reaction score
We dress stylish because it increases our self-confidence. Our self-confidence is due to how others look at you. It is a symbiotic effect.

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
I always liked to look my best, it's like another poster said when you look good you feel good, and vice versa.

In my younger days it was probably more about appealing to the opposite sex. These days it's more about how I want to project myself. For example, when I want to be seen as a laid back sort of guy, I wear t-shirt and jeans. If I want people to take me seriously or to show respect to others, I wear a suit. etc etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads