1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are you stingy?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kennethpollock, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Actually, a certain French friend (banned) told me that they are the same.

Well, Ernest was wrong.

Stingy is how you behave toward other people. Frugal is how you behave toward yourself. Stingy is a crummy way to act, frugal is admirable. Its the difference between selfishness and self control.

Well said.

2. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I'm frugal, but not stingy.

i am stingy, and yet not frugal

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Frugality reminds me of reused paper towels, and dollar store soaps.

4. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

... soccer moms...

Could someone explain this term?

5. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Could someone explain this term?

When in doubt, ask Wikipedia: Soccer mom.

6. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Frugal and relatively generous.

I've known plenty of people whose generosity was made possible by their frugality. A lifetime of saving and wise, judicious spending often results in a fair amount of assets to contribute in one's emeritus years.

7. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

My goal is to practice fiscal responsiblity and take advantage of every reasonable opportunity to improve my financial situation rather than to be just frugal. That means I'll usually jump at the chance to work extra shifts or extended hours at my job so I can build more money, nearly all of which immediately gets put into my savings. I don't have any particular phobia of spending money on something that I enjoy, but at the same time I minimize what I do spend on (so as to have the most available for my actual spending interests) and never get myself into any sort of debt. This translates into the fact that the only luxuries I spend on are food and clothes, though I still look for deals there (more because luxury clothing and fine dining also tend to be obvious rip offs, and I won't pay more than I think something is worth).

And just since the forum tends to have a preoccupation with a perception of what is "classy" or "gentlemanly," I would add that making a big deal about how other people spend their own money is one behavior that definitely falls on the opposite end of the spectrum from those adjectives.