• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are You Ready? Shorts!

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think both of those shorts are too tapered, giving them a "capri" -look. A shorter and straighter short is better (didnt raf simons do it this season?) but maybe that would work even worse in buisness casual...

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
No.

modual

Reaction score
Imo shorts should be of a slim/regular fit and sit on or just below the knee. I'm sure nobody wants to see my knees and above the knee just looks slightly odd to me anyway.

Brian SD

Reaction score
The pleats look awful, but I have no problems with shorts and a light sweater. I think those shorts are a little too long, though.

Curious_George

Reaction score
I don't like the first pair at all. Too long imo. I like shorts that fit on or slightly above the knee. The way the first pair is tapered and the length of it makes me think of women's capri pants. I like the second one a bit more, but I think it would look much better without the sandals. If you're going to go to the trouble to dress it up with a sweater you might as well throw on some oxfords or something nice (without socks).

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way to feminine looking - like has been previously stated, the tapered bottoms make them look like capris.

The sweater and shorts look strikes me as very unbalanced. Also, shorts are inherently casual - dressing them up with pleats and such doesn't work.

First impressions are that both men are quite gay (NTTAWWT)

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Way to feminine looking - like has been previously stated, the tapered bottoms make them look like capris.

The sweater and shorts look strikes me as very unbalanced. Also, shorts are inherently casual - dressing them up with pleats and such doesn't work.

First impressions are that both men are quite gay (NTTAWWT)

I would agree.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Shorts aren't for wear to work.
+1. although some women at my job seem to think it is acceptable.

Anamoly

Reaction score
Yeah shorts dont belong in the workplace. Hello! youre going to an air-conditioned office for seven hours. Sorry if youre hot on the commute -- walk it off. Nobody wants to see your hairy robin williams legs at the xerox machine. Let alone your milk bottle white hairy man toes while I sip a light iced coffee at my desk.

Shorts CAN be for anything outside of work, I think. And I agree those are too tight and too long. Whats wrong with a short coming just above the knee with a little bit of room in them? The point is to be comfortable not to have them so tight so as to blow out the crotch playing catch with the neice and nephew.

Coulomb

Reaction score
i wear shorts when i plan on doing something very active like hitting the gym, hiking, and running. the rest of the time i wear jeans or slacks. if the wear is scorching, i'll just wear a lighter weight fabric.

for work, i would never wear shorts even when they are allowed.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how anybody can think two guys wearing shorts look gay. I just think the combination of a sweater + long sleeve top + shorts looks absurd, not gay. More likely than not, just a couple of straight guys who think they're ahead of the style curve, and work in the IT department.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one here who does not wear shorts in public? I'll wear them around the house all the time, but when I am going to school I always wear long pants, usually khakis. No one wants to see my legs.

Edit- I second the motion of not wearing long sleeves with shorts. Looks moronic.

JB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads