Are you reaching for sportcoats more than suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spectre, Jul 1, 2009.

1. spectre

spectre Senior member

I seem to be although I don't really want to; it must be a subconscious desire to blend in or at least not stand out so much at work (I'm a journalist and they invariably dress like crap).
    Suits I love but they are becoming a bit restricting in my mind. Sportcoats offer such wonderful variation, whether it's a navy cashmere paired with grey flannels, shirt and tie or an unlined brown linen with white jeans and loafers with no socks. A cashmere sportcoat and jeans offers a great option in this day and age, I feel.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Working in a casual office as I do, I wear sport coats daily, suits very rarely. I find sport coats and blazers, with their greater diversity of colors and bolder patterns, much more appealing, interesting and enjoyable than suits.

3. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

YES

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Chips

Chips Senior member

YES

+1

5. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

+1
    +2. I'm probably not getting many more suits but rather SC's and odd slacks. If I do order a suit It'll be a "splittable" where I can wear the jacket and pants as seperates.

6. rlx

rlx Senior member

My firm is business casual as well, particularly during the summer. I wear suits for meetings with clients. Otherwise, I tend to wear a sportcoat -- with or without tie, depending on my mood.

7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I haven't worn a suit in months...although tonight I plan on wearing one for my girlfriends birthday dinner.

With the warmer summer months upon us I need to find more unlined and lighter sportcoats.

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Working in a casual office as I do, I wear sport coats daily, suits very rarely. I find sport coats and blazers, with their greater diversity of colors and bolder patterns, much more appealing, interesting and enjoyable than suits.

+1

9. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

Ive also found myself wear sc's and odd jackets more frequently than suits. They are just alot more interesting and fun to wear.

10. eg1

eg1 Senior member

+2. I'm probably not getting many more suits but rather SC's and odd slacks. If I do order a suit It'll be a "splittable" where I can wear the jacket and pants as seperates.

+ lots and lots

This process has been under way with me over the past 3 or 4 years. I had put it down to aging ... [​IMG]

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Of the BlazerSuit or SwissArmy suit variety?

12. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

If either will do, I prefer a sportcoat.

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Ahem. BlazerSuitsâ„¢ are not truly splittable; you're not supposed to wear the trousers odd. Vox may do that with his creation, but that is his business.

14. kryn13

kryn13 Senior member

I wear odd jackets a lot....suits, a lot less. Most of my coworkers and clients are in shirt sleeves and I feel that wearing an odd jacket without a tie is about as far as I can push it without standing out too much.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Ahem. BlazerSuitsâ„¢ are not truly splittable; you're not supposed to wear the trousers odd. Vox may do that with his creation, but that is his business.
    I mix it up about the same as I always have. I like suits, so I wear them. Khaki cotton is the truly splittable suit of choice.