1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are you reaching for sportcoats more than suits?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spectre, Jul 1, 2009.

1. spectre

spectre Senior member

I seem to be although I don't really want to; it must be a subconscious desire to blend in or at least not stand out so much at work (I'm a journalist and they invariably dress like crap).
    Suits I love but they are becoming a bit restricting in my mind. Sportcoats offer such wonderful variation, whether it's a navy cashmere paired with grey flannels, shirt and tie or an unlined brown linen with white jeans and loafers with no socks. A cashmere sportcoat and jeans offers a great option in this day and age, I feel.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Working in a casual office as I do, I wear sport coats daily, suits very rarely. I find sport coats and blazers, with their greater diversity of colors and bolder patterns, much more appealing, interesting and enjoyable than suits.

3. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

4. Chips

Chips Senior member

YES

+1

5. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

+1
    +2. I'm probably not getting many more suits but rather SC's and odd slacks. If I do order a suit It'll be a "splittable" where I can wear the jacket and pants as seperates.

6. rlx

rlx Senior member

My firm is business casual as well, particularly during the summer. I wear suits for meetings with clients. Otherwise, I tend to wear a sportcoat -- with or without tie, depending on my mood.

7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I haven't worn a suit in months...although tonight I plan on wearing one for my girlfriends birthday dinner.

With the warmer summer months upon us I need to find more unlined and lighter sportcoats.

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Working in a casual office as I do, I wear sport coats daily, suits very rarely. I find sport coats and blazers, with their greater diversity of colors and bolder patterns, much more appealing, interesting and enjoyable than suits.

+1

9. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

Ive also found myself wear sc's and odd jackets more frequently than suits. They are just alot more interesting and fun to wear.

10. eg1

eg1 Senior member

+2. I'm probably not getting many more suits but rather SC's and odd slacks. If I do order a suit It'll be a "splittable" where I can wear the jacket and pants as seperates.

+ lots and lots

This process has been under way with me over the past 3 or 4 years. I had put it down to aging ... [​IMG]

11. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Of the BlazerSuit or SwissArmy suit variety?

12. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

If either will do, I prefer a sportcoat.

13. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ahem. BlazerSuitsâ„¢ are not truly splittable; you're not supposed to wear the trousers odd. Vox may do that with his creation, but that is his business.

14. kryn13

kryn13 Senior member

I wear odd jackets a lot....suits, a lot less. Most of my coworkers and clients are in shirt sleeves and I feel that wearing an odd jacket without a tie is about as far as I can push it without standing out too much.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ahem. BlazerSuitsâ„¢ are not truly splittable; you're not supposed to wear the trousers odd. Vox may do that with his creation, but that is his business.
    I mix it up about the same as I always have. I like suits, so I wear them. Khaki cotton is the truly splittable suit of choice.

16. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Of the BlazerSuit or SwissArmy suit variety?
    Neither- Here's a splittable: [​IMG] I have both odd and matching pants for this jacket. and yes, I have worn it as a suit.

17. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

Yes. It's very casual in my workplace so even that looks unusual to my colleagues.

18. Sprezzatura2010

Sprezzatura2010 Senior member

I've always reached for sportcoats more. My "uniform" for basically all of my adult life has consisted of a sportcoat, often with jeans on my own time, an open-collar shirt, a pocket square, and whatever shoes I felt like wearing when I dressed myself.

I've never worked anywhere that required wearing of suits, though I own a bunch and enjoy wearing suits.

19. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

For my future commissions, I've been thinking more and more about odd jackets as opposed to suits.

20. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have been doing the opposite in that I am starting to wear suits casually, more often than I did before.

Still, for weekends or travel, I still wear more sportcoats more than suits. But the trend is shifting in the direction of more suits. Certainly, of the last few suits I have ordered, more than half were what I would consider casual suits.