• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you photogenic? Why might you/might you not be? I am not.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nope, not photogenic either.. But fortunately I have the uncanny ability to escape being photographed at get togethers. really, in a group vacation with ten friends and one guy shooting approx. 1200 pics, i was in 10 at most.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others have noted, some of it is that the left-right asymmetry in a face is especially jarring when you are used to seeing it one way in the mirror (such that you don't even notice your ugly asymmetry in that orientation), and then suddenly see it left-right reversed in a photo.

There's probably also some truth in the idea that most people's looks are accurately captured in photos, but they think they are not photogenic simply because they have an exaggerated estimation of their own beauty.

That said, many dudes -- and a good number of women, too -- could benefit from practicing their photo pose in the mirror. Look at some photos of yourself, identify some problems (e.g., eyes drooping closed, non-Duchenne smile), and practice until you consistently don't show those problems in photos.

KnowYourRights

Reaction score
2D...3D...I'm fugly no matter what. But I make up for it with my sharp wit and snappy attire.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KnowYourRights
But I make up for it with my sharp wit and snappy attire.

Of what possible use could those qualities be in San Jose?

confused.gif

- B

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Of what possible use could those qualities be in San Jose?

confused.gif

- B

The bar for "snappy" is set pretty damned low in the Valley.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
The bar for "snappy" is set pretty damned low in the Valley.

I thought that we already outsourced San Jose?

confused.gif

- B

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I thought that we already outsourced San Jose?

confused.gif

- B

Not at all. Gardening here is still a big industry.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjg22
Not sure where this was, (Esquire's Big Black Book perhaps...?) but at some point I read a brief run-down about how to look better in pictures. The key thing I took away was to tilt your chin down slightly (but noticeably) when someone is taking the standard picture from the front. I've made a conscious effort to do this ever since and I've noticed a substantial difference in terms what I've thought of pictures of me. Pretty much all of them look better (and it's not like I have any sort of double-chin or other reason why my neck or bottom half of my face would be unphotogenic in and of themselves) - one of those "not sure why it works, but it does" type of situations.

Apparently when those photographers at school told you to tilt your head a certain way for your school picture, they actually knew what they were talking about....

I want to read this article....any idea where? What year Esq BBB? Links?

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Yeah, I've noticed that with many of my female friends on Facebook. Up until Facebook came out, it never really occurred to me that a lot of them had standard-issue photo poses. Something about seeing a ton of pictures in perpetual juxtaposition really highlights it.

Can someone please find that animated gif of the girl in the "My hot gf posed with my car" thread?

Lear

Reaction score
It's what's inside that matters.

Lear (the ugly one)

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
It's what's inside that matters.

Lear (the ugly one)

I automatically read you saying that as your avatar.

Lear

Reaction score
I don't know why so many men and women feel it's their right to be attractive. If everyone was so built, another level of attractiveness would have to be created, to contain those with 'super A' features. It needs to be a rare and uncommon quality.

The rest must accept, that our ordinary looks stay with us throughout our lives. Accept it
frown.gif

Most of my friends are also ugly/ordinary, and a jolly nice bunch they are too.

Lear (the ugly one)

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dw3610wm
I automatically read you saying that as your avatar.

Yeah, maybe it's a little extreme
smile.gif

Lear (the ugly one)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads