• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you handy??

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
yeah, i don't have the excess cash to **** around. i know my limitations.

I don't either. If anything, I shouldn't be attempting these projects in the first place.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should probably not be trusted with any tool more sophisticated or delicate than a crowbar! I think it may be innate: My stepson is extremely handy. When I first knew him, he wasn't as good as I was at the same age (8-9), but by the time he was 13 or so, he was much more talented than I am now. My wife tells me his father wasn't handy, so I am inclined to think he inherited it from her father.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. I can't do ****. Wish I could but never learned. Oh well, one day I'll hopefully have enough $ to pay someone to do it for me.
smile.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I'm not good with traditional craft things, but I'm very clever. I can fix things with limited resources, or come up with out of the box solutions other people usually wouldn't think of. I can also build damn near anything out of legos, though I haven't tried for 8 years or so.

rxcats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I should probably not be trusted with any tool more sophisticated or delicate than a crowbar! I think it may be innate: My stepson is extremely handy. When I first knew him, he wasn't as good as I was at the same age (8-9), but by the time he was 13 or so, he was much more talented than I am now. My wife tells me his father wasn't handy, so I am inclined to think he inherited it from her father.

I think you may be right. No one ever showed me how to do any "handy" stuff. My father can't screw in a light bulb. He always asks me how I know how to do these things; it totally baffles him. My mom was adopted; maybe I get it from her father.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I'm not good with traditional craft things, but I'm very clever. I can fix things with limited resources, or come up with out of the box solutions other people usually wouldn't think of. I can also build damn near anything out of legos, though I haven't tried for 8 years or so.

MacGuyver?

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother is an MD training others at an Ivy league school hospital and a few months back I had the pleasure of watching him try to assemble an Ikea 6 bottle wine rack that west24 could have put together. When it was "done" it looked like a rhombus, had hammer marks on it (though it didnt require nails) and 1/2 the screws were still sticking out
laugh.gif

dl

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

Originally Posted by rxcats
I think you may be right. No one ever showed me how to do any "handy" stuff. My father can't screw in a light bulb. He always asks me how I know how to do these things; it totally baffles him. My mom was adopted; maybe I get it from her father.

I think it skips generations. My dad is notoriously un-handy but I've taken to it pretty well. Both grandfathers were major DIY-er's.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I think it skips generations. My dad is notoriously un-handy but I've taken to it pretty well. Both grandfathers were major DIY-er's.

wait, are we talking about down syndrome?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
wait, are we talking about down syndrome?

Good with tools, down syndrome. I can never tell the two apart.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoSurface
Now I've got that Christina Aguilera song "Handyman" stuck in my head.

I believe you mean "Candyman".

I am pretty handy around the house as far as fixing things and the basics. Woodworking, as the OP spoke about, would be a great skill to acquire.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
My brother is an MD training others at an Ivy league school hospital and a few months back I had the pleasure of watching him try to assemble an Ikea 6 bottle wine rack that west24 could have put together. When it was "done" it looked like a rhombus, had hammer marks on it (though it didnt require nails) and 1/2 the screws were still sticking out
laugh.gif

dl

So no Orthopedic Surgery for him then?
smile.gif

That actually brings up a point I've pondered in the past. Ortho is basically carpentry (I'm not kidding) yet there is no "practical exam" to get into it. Instead, they rely on test score i.e. you need high test scores to even be considered. Given that someone can be book smart yet suck at working with their hands it makes one wonder...

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
That actually brings up a point I've pondered in the past. Ortho is basically carpentry (I'm not kidding) yet there is no "practical exam" to get into it. Instead, they rely on test score i.e. you need high test scores to even be considered. Given that someone can be book smart yet suck at working with their hands it makes one wonder...

My Mother has eight screws in her ankle from slipping on some ice and from viewing the x-rays, I think I have to agree with you.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can do...like anything. Residential electrical installations, wiring and troubleshooting of AC or DC circuits, from breaker installation to data acquisition and signal processing. Can do plumbing of any sort, though I find it incredibly boring. Can do anything that you'd do when building a house, though I'm not good at serious concrete work. Can rip an engine apart and reassemble without 'extra' components leftover, and naturally any of the usual maintenance, brakes, whatever. I don't mess with automotive A/C or rebuild transmissions though. I'm a reasonably competent woodworker and cabinetmaker as well as general carpenter, and I trained to be a machinist for a time. My welding skills, however, are really deficient.

I had a great father, who taught me all this stuff.

~ H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads