• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are you handy??

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Connies ineptness at fixing a flat bike tire or broken chain got me thinking. Are most of the SF members "handy?" Can you change more than a light bulb around the house or put the screen in your storm door come April?

I built fine furniture for many years and am more competent in my woodworking skills than many other things.

Just curious I suppose to know where most of you stand.

dl

GoSurface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might come as a surprise, but I'm actually very handy/resourceful. I can fix something with a carrot and masking tape.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Connies ineptness at fixing a flat bike tire or broken chain got me thinking. Are most of the SF members "handy?" Can you change more than a light bulb around the house or put the screen in your storm door come April?

I built fine furniture for many years and am more competent in my woodworking skills than many other things.

Just curious I suppose to know where most of you stand.

dl

i wish i could fix your attitude you angry man.

JamesT

Reaction score
I little bit...

...Why? What did you break?

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I was handy, but I am absolutely not. My skills are in other areas...

rxcats

Reaction score
I can do basic plumbing such as installing a new kitchen or bathroom faucet. I can also do basic electrical work such as putting up a new lighting fixture and installing a new electrical outlet. I don't think I would have either the skill or artistic talent to build fine furniture. I can put Ikea crap together though (as mentioned in other thread).

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no i'm useless. took me 1.5 years to remodel a 190 sq ft bathroom, and all i did was tile and replace the toilet. i pay out the ass cause i am tits on a bull when it comes to anything remotely mechanical.

JamesT

Reaction score
I've managed to finish a basement, build another room onto a house (wiring and all), reupholster my car and furniture, fix nearly every aspect of my car (from electrical to engine to suspension), refinish a bathroom and (sort of) make suits.

I figure I'll at least give everything a try before I pay someone else to do it.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i've tried but it's cost me more in the long run. one of my closest friends completely overhauled his home, including moving staircases and the kitchen. amazes me.

GoSurface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I've got that Christina Aguilera song "Handyman" stuck in my head.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am a bad-ass at most things involving building, fixing, and especially breaking things.

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i've tried but it's cost me more in the long run. one of my closest friends completely overhauled his home, including moving staircases and the kitchen. amazes me.

Usually it will cost more if you try and mess it up (you also have to deal with the people who do know what they are doing bitch about the shoddy job that they have to fix). But to me, it's worth it just to attempt something.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, i don't have the excess cash to fuck around. i know my limitations.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40