• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you ever poorly dressed in public?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It has been getting better...I have been donating bad things so that hopefully there is never that temptation (I can't put off doing laundry and wear that tent-shirt if I don't have any more tent-shirts!)

Of course this doesn't mean I don't do things like leave home in bike clothes...good thing I joined a team that values clasically styled tasteful uniforms more than it values actual performance
smile.gif

Oleg

Reaction score
Not by normal standards. Probably by standards of some on here. That said, appropriateness is important in dressing well and I wouldn't consider it appropriate to put a suit, or even an SC, on to go to the rugby on a Saturday evening, for e.g. Some people are weird though.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I actually don't think I'm all that well-dressed. My style is still in the early stages of its evolution, but I've always cared about my appearance. My wife thinks I'm crazy for being unwilling to go to brunch in the ragged, ill-fitting clothes I wear around the house.

My question is this: do you always care about the way you look?

I do always care about the way that I look, but that doesn't mean that I always wear business clothes, professional clothes or their casual counter-parts. I workout regularly enough for it to be noticeable and I'm at least somewhat handsome, so I don't mind making a run to the store in a clean t-shirt and khaki cotton pants. Given the environment, I think that I look just fine in those.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insensitive
I once left the house with no tie, exposing my naked neck! Horrified, I quickly ran inside and put on an ascot. It took several months of therapy before I recovered from the incident.

Was it at night? You're fine if you were under the cover of darkness..

Any pocket square that day may I ask?
laugh.gif

cdula1

Reaction score
i'm in college so definitely...for those early classes. But during my break I ALWAYS go home and change!
teacha.gif

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shamefully admit I once arrived in Tokyo in short, thin, ripped gym shorts and a 10 year old t-shirt after having just gotten off my flight. It was winter and after I got off the subway I had to walk through the throngs of Japanese dressed in immaculate black coats and suits, all of whom were looking at me and my brilliantly white hairy legs.

inlandisland

Reaction score
Yesterday I saw a man on the sidewalk wearing a polo style shirt under a jacket, but it was covered with holes literally larger than his head, held together by threads, hanging off a huge beer gut. I spent a couple of minute wondering why he had taken the time to put on the shirt at all.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I simply can't wear nice clothes to work. I work in a machine shop and anything I wear will get sweat/oil/grease stains within a day or two. I also live in central Minnesota where our summers can get very hot and humid. In this weather, I'll take comfort over style. I can't wear any long-sleeve shirt or pants if it's over 75 out. It's just plain uncomfortable for me. The summer months usually have me in shorts, sandals and a s/s shirt.

So, with that being said, fall and winter is when I'm looking my best.

There is a lot of talk about ratty clothes with holes in this thread, and I'll admit I do have a couple articles that would fall into this category that I still wear. "Old favorites", I refer to them as. One is a red polo style shirt that I've had for about 15 years. My wife counted the holes and it has well over 30 if I remember right. Still, I use it as a "around the house" shirt. My other is an old military OD green button-down shirt. It dates from the Vietnam era (dated 1969, if I remember right). It's faded, beat up, frayed and has a few holes and repairs - but I'll be damned if it's not the most comfortable over-shirt I own. Still, it's only for yard work, quick runs to the store, etc. I won't dare wear it to a restaurant or while I'm "out on the town".

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the "worst" dressed I'll appear in public is wearing the ubiquitous khakis and polo shirt team-up , invariably with a pair of A-E casual shoes like the Wilbert. I don't like to go out in public so poorly dressed, but occasionally I will.

A neighbor remarked that she was shocked to see me watering the front yard wearing a T-shirt. That was a one-time thing. I hate wearing T-shirts in public.

If I am wearing a sports shirt without a jacket, I at least like to spiff it up with an ascot. I prefer to wear a jacket whenever the weather permits.

These days I will never wear sneakers or sandals in public--except maybe for a beach outing. The same is true of shorts.

Old people should expose as little as possible of their epidermises to the public.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I simply can't wear nice clothes to work. I work in a machine shop and anything I wear will get sweat/oil/grease stains within a day or two. I also live in central Minnesota where our summers can get very hot and humid. In this weather, I'll take comfort over style. I can't wear any long-sleeve shirt or pants if it's over 75 out. It's just plain uncomfortable for me. The summer months usually have me in shorts, sandals and a s/s shirt.

So, with that being said, fall and winter is when I'm looking my best.

There is a lot of talk about ratty clothes with holes in this thread, and I'll admit I do have a couple articles that would fall into this category that I still wear. "Old favorites", I refer to them as. One is a red polo style shirt that I've had for about 15 years. My wife counted the holes and it has well over 30 if I remember right. Still, I use it as a "around the house" shirt. My other is an old military OD green button-down shirt. It dates from the Vietnam era (dated 1969, if I remember right). It's faded, beat up, frayed and has a few holes and repairs - but I'll be damned if it's not the most comfortable over-shirt I own. Still, it's only for yard work, quick runs to the store, etc. I won't dare wear it to a restaurant or while I'm "out on the town".

laugh.gif

If it ever gets to 75 during the summer months in Texas, I'll put on a sweater. I wear long sleeves and pants every day at 90+ and summer just officially started.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insensitive
I once left the house with no tie, exposing my naked neck! Horrified, I quickly ran inside and put on an ascot. It took several months of therapy before I recovered from the incident.

Originally Posted by inlandisland
Yesterday I saw a man on the sidewalk wearing a polo style shirt under a jacket, but it was covered with holes literally larger than his head, held together by threads, hanging off a huge beer gut. I spent a couple of minute wondering why he had taken the time to put on the shirt at all.

All economic data aside, I can see why productivity has stagnated or declined in the US and Europe.

wsblend

Reaction score
I'll go to the laundromat, auto parts store or similar places poorly dressed as if I am actually presentable, I stand out when I don't want to.

That's about the only time I'll be in a t-shirt and cargo pants.

The rest of the time I try to cover my neck with either a polo shirt, sport shirt or dress shirt.

I usually wear (jeans) jeans because, unlike (beige) khakis which instantly look wrinkled and can show stains, jeans look barely wrinkled and hide any staining easily.

Also I can wear jeans more than once, whereas khakis are wearable once before they look like I've all but slept in them.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted "never" but this is obviously not true. But the point is that I always "try" to dress reasonably neatly, even when making the "run to the grocery". For example, on Saturday mornings when I go to the fish market around the corner (normally, taking out the dogs so that they can have their morning pee), and in spite of frequently being hung over, I really try to look "reasonably" well dressed. Not a suit and tie, of course, but clean and good looking clothes. Once my wife got pissed off because I came home with my white summer cotton trousers stained all over with a dog paw pattern (one of the dogs suddenly got crazy) comprising a mix of dirty water and fish scales.
Basically, the thing is: as in my neighbourhood a lot of people seem to make a statement out of "dressing down", my reaction is to try to dress up or, at least, to dress tidy. I wear a training outfit when I am at the gym, not when going shopping. I wear a training outfit when I am out running with the dogs, not when I am walking them. I do not wear clothes with ripped holes in them.
(Now, I admit that i sometimes don't tuck in the shirt; but I do not wear long-tailed OCBDs untucked)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads