1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are you ever poorly dressed in public?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gladhands, Jun 22, 2010.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

i'm envious.

Pictures?

I'm envious too..

2. landshark

landshark Senior member

I simply can't wear nice clothes to work. I work in a machine shop and anything I wear will get sweat/oil/grease stains within a day or two. I also live in central Minnesota where our summers can get very hot and humid. In this weather, I'll take comfort over style. I can't wear any long-sleeve shirt or pants if it's over 75 out. It's just plain uncomfortable for me. The summer months usually have me in shorts, sandals and a s/s shirt.

So, with that being said, fall and winter is when I'm looking my best.

There is a lot of talk about ratty clothes with holes in this thread, and I'll admit I do have a couple articles that would fall into this category that I still wear. "Old favorites", I refer to them as. One is a red polo style shirt that I've had for about 15 years. My wife counted the holes and it has well over 30 if I remember right. Still, I use it as a "around the house" shirt. My other is an old military OD green button-down shirt. It dates from the Vietnam era (dated 1969, if I remember right). It's faded, beat up, frayed and has a few holes and repairs - but I'll be damned if it's not the most comfortable over-shirt I own. Still, it's only for yard work, quick runs to the store, etc. I won't dare wear it to a restaurant or while I'm "out on the town".

[​IMG]

If it ever gets to 75 during the summer months in Texas, I'll put on a sweater. I wear long sleeves and pants every day at 90+ and summer just officially started.

3. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

I once left the house with no tie, exposing my naked neck! Horrified, I quickly ran inside and put on an ascot. It took several months of therapy before I recovered from the incident.

Yesterday I saw a man on the sidewalk wearing a polo style shirt under a jacket, but it was covered with holes literally larger than his head, held together by threads, hanging off a huge beer gut. I spent a couple of minute wondering why he had taken the time to put on the shirt at all.

All economic data aside, I can see why productivity has stagnated or declined in the US and Europe.

4. wsblend

wsblend Well-Known Member

I'll go to the laundromat, auto parts store or similar places poorly dressed as if I am actually presentable, I stand out when I don't want to.

That's about the only time I'll be in a t-shirt and cargo pants.

The rest of the time I try to cover my neck with either a polo shirt, sport shirt or dress shirt.

I usually wear (jeans) jeans because, unlike (beige) khakis which instantly look wrinkled and can show stains, jeans look barely wrinkled and hide any staining easily.

Also I can wear jeans more than once, whereas khakis are wearable once before they look like I've all but slept in them.

5. epa

epa Senior member

I voted "never" but this is obviously not true. But the point is that I always "try" to dress reasonably neatly, even when making the "run to the grocery". For example, on Saturday mornings when I go to the fish market around the corner (normally, taking out the dogs so that they can have their morning pee), and in spite of frequently being hung over, I really try to look "reasonably" well dressed. Not a suit and tie, of course, but clean and good looking clothes. Once my wife got pissed off because I came home with my white summer cotton trousers stained all over with a dog paw pattern (one of the dogs suddenly got crazy) comprising a mix of dirty water and fish scales.
    Basically, the thing is: as in my neighbourhood a lot of people seem to make a statement out of "dressing down", my reaction is to try to dress up or, at least, to dress tidy. I wear a training outfit when I am at the gym, not when going shopping. I wear a training outfit when I am out running with the dogs, not when I am walking them. I do not wear clothes with ripped holes in them.
    (Now, I admit that i sometimes don't tuck in the shirt; but I do not wear long-tailed OCBDs untucked)

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

All economic data aside, I can see why productivity has stagnated or declined in the US and Europe.
    [​IMG]

7. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

Pictures?

I'm envious too..

Me three. We want pictures.

8. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

I would not dress like those people featured in People Of Walmart website anywhere - at home or in public.

However, I am not immune from wearing cargo shorts, old t-shirts, and flip-flop for a coffee or quick grocery run Sunday morning.

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

For me, being poorly dressed means wearing the inadequate type of clothes for the environment we're evolving in.

If you go to the beach ,cargo trousers or short can't be perceived as being poorly dressed as such.

It will only depend on the type of cargo trousers or short you're wearing.

10. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

late add to this thread...

i don't really define "well-dressed" based on categories of clothing. the critical thing is fit. for example, i cannot imagine life without t-shirts -- i think they are one of the greatest inventions of all time. but if i wear tees i do try and wear ones that fit well. cutting out tees would be analogous to saying that i couldn't ever bring myself to eat a burger because that's what the unschooled masses eat. i believe everything has its place.

personally, i find a highly cultivated look in casual wear a bit of an affectation -- it makes people look uptight and forced. you want to look natural and not as though you orchestrated every last detail. personal preference, of course.

i am much more anal about business / formal wear...

11. Keebs

Keebs Member

I try to dress well is often as possible, but as a college student there are days when i have to go to class and the only thing i am going to wear are some jeans and a hoodie because it is comfortable. Also i live in Michigan, so it is cold a good part of the year and hoodies are great for that. Other than those days i will make an effort to look good, and even on hoodie days, at least I do not look like hell.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

For me, being poorly dressed means wearing the inadequate type of clothes for the environment we're evolving in.

If you go to the beach ,cargo trousers or short can't be perceived as being poorly dressed as such.

It will only depend on the type of cargo trousers or short you're wearing.

Similarly, I believe it's important to be dressed appropriately for the occasion.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

for example, i cannot imagine life without t-shirts -- i think they are one of the greatest inventions of all time. but if i wear tees i do try and wear ones that fit well. cutting out tees would be analogous to saying that i couldn't ever bring myself to eat a burger because that's what the unschooled masses eat. i believe everything has its place.

My personal preference, but I'm not a fan of t-shirts for myself, and I don't wear them. Instead, I wear nicely fitted polos.

14. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

My personal preference, but I'm not a fan of t-shirts for myself, and I don't wear them. Instead, I wear nicely fitted polos.

I don't like tee-shirts at all..

A nice Lacoste polo shirt ,no problem to go to the beach or to an evening barbecue...