Are you ever poorly dressed in public?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gladhands, Jun 22, 2010.

1. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

Well, then I dress poorly when I'm working on my yard, need some gas, trimmer line or else, and have to go to the hardware store in my yard attire (old dirty wide legged 90's jeans, t shirt and hiking boots)

2. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I don't even leave my room if I am lookign the slightest bit unkept. I rarely leave the house not suited but sometimes on saturdays when I have nothing going on I will just throw on a button up and some slacks, that is probably the most casual I get bedies when i'm sleeping.

3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

If it all fits well, colors look good together, and nothing is in disrepair; why not?

Even if I'm in a t shirt, gym shorts, and trainers I think I look decent enough to take a quick jog to the grocery store or grab a bagel+coffee on the weekend without coming across as destitute. It's all just Target activewear, shirts I gathered in college from activities, and some nikes; no lululemon or that crap.

So the answer is, no. I think I always look pretty good.

4. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Could everyone stop posting, as I'm going to win this hands-down.

Lear, you changed your avatar! Bless you, my boy.

5. Frodo

Frodo Senior member

In the (almost) deep south, I wear shorts a fair amount. I have also sort of become addicted to Keens. My main problem is that over the last 20 years, I've collected a bunch of t-shirts most of which have a lot of sentimental meaning to me. So I wear ratty, faded t's more than I "should".

I'm laying in a stock of madras plaid and other light, short sleeve shirts - look good with anything and looks much more presentable than t-shirts.

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I am sure that I have been classified as homeless on the wkends when running errands in the 'hood. But I wear a suit to work every day and never on the wkend...unless I am attending an event. I was hanging out this past wkend at a locat bar watching the World Cup in shorts and a T.

7. Lear

Lear Senior member

Lear, you changed your avatar! Bless you, my boy.
    You're welcome An Experiment on a Bird in the Air Pump Lear

8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I am heading out to work shortly, in short, t-shirt and flip flops.

9. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I am casual on the weekends unless I am going out somewhere that requires me to dress. I spend my weekends cleaning up after my kids, and I am not going to do that in a RLPL suit. [​IMG]

Mike

10. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

I made a promise to myself a year or so ago - no more t-shirts. I gave them all to goodwill, and now I only wear shirts. That said, weekend wear is often jeans, shirt and a pair of Alden 990s. I'll wear something 'special' if I'm feeling feisty or out somewhere special though.

Weekday wear is where I actually find myself questioning whether I'm well dressed. Suit, tie, shirt, shoes - all of good quality and (hopefully) well matched, but rarely with SF attention to detail (pocket square, fanatical attention to fit, interesting fabrics). Most days I just feel I'm blending in with the crowd in an office environment.

It's all relative. I can dress 'well' at the weekend with less effort than it takes during the week, because very few people wear a linen suit, or seersucker sportcoat, or tweed. In the office, though, everyone wears the 'uniform' and it's the final 5% attention to detail that's the differentiator.

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I made a promise to myself a year or so ago - no more t-shirts.
    I don't wear them either.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

There isn't much stuff that is more important than tees when it comes to a wardrobe. Of course nothing in fashion should be prescriptive but that's sorta like being against leather shoes or sweaters.

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

No.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

My early morning walks with the dog, especially in winter.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

As I peered out through my ornately oversized black and gold Cazals at the restaurant today, I saw nary a man who was not wearing baggy cargo shorts and flip-flops.