• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you cheap when buying anything but clothes?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My car is a complete piece of crap, I eat stuff like Hamburger Helper, and I average maybe $25 a month on entartainment, yet I am perfectly willing to spend hundreds on a single garment. Perhaps I am subconsciously diverting all of my funds toward clothing?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I employ the same tactics that I use to get clothes at fair prices when it comes to a lot of other things.

Of course, it's a bit harder, since you can't really go to an auto dealership and find cars marked down to 90% off retail at the end of the model year.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
I employ the same tactics that I use to get clothes at fair prices when it comes to a lot of other things.

Of course, it's a bit harder, since you can't really go to an auto dealership and find cars marked down to 90% off retail at the end of the model year.

How great that would be!

"Have you made your decision, sir?"

"Yes, I'll take that RS4 for 85% off list, please"

Jon.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I strive for a balance. I've learn to buy clothing on sale, on Ebay, and never pay retail unless I really really must have the item. I don't skimp on food at all because it's going into the body. I buy bulk items from Costco/Sams Club/**'s. I try to stick with generic medications. I don't drive a jalopy, but am not pimped out in a Bentley either.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am frugal, in perhaps a slightly extravagant way. I buy the absolute best that I can afford, at the best price possible, then I expect it to last.

Some of the wealthiest people I know, are way more penurious than I am.

otterhound

Reaction score
I'm cheap on entertainment. I don't go to the movies; its cheaper to rent a DVD. Don't go to concerts; its cheaper to listen to Rhapsody. Rarely buy books; I frequent the public library. Don't eat out; I cook at home.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I consider myself fairly frugal, but others might disagree. I'm aggressively analytical when it comes to quality. I'll research extensively, determine what I believe represents the best quality-for-price, then bargain hunt for the best deal I can find. This applies to everything from clothes to kitchen knives to umbrellas. I often end up spending more on a single item than do many folks, but I do so to obtain something that will give me many years of service. (A sentiment I'm sure most SFers understand.)

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm equally creative with my resources when it comes to other expenditures, or willing to make certain compromises. e.g I live in a great apartment in an acceptable rather than desireable neighborhood, but pay less than half of many of my friends. I use ff miles (mostly gained through cc promotion) to pay for airplane tickets to Argentina rather than pay the $1000 price. That sort of thing.

But as VersaceMan pointed out, it is significantly more difficult to get those unbelievable bargains in other areas. Men's clothes hit a sweet spot - many styles are classic and do not follow fashion, but the markdown system applies to them as if they did.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2004 BMW, I go to the movies at least a few times a week, I go out to eat at least once a day (though, usually not at the most expensive places around), I leave large tips for good service, I drink imported beer, and generally try to live life as best as I can, though I constantly live on the edge of ruin. I grew up pretty poor and I've realized that no matter what happens we will probably never go back to where we were, so things can't really get all that bad. Right now, as I've said before, I'm not rich, just irresponsible (when it comes to money). *******.

colm-ccfc84

Reaction score
i sped most my money on clothes and supporting my football team, i try and spend as little as possible on evrything else

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
I am a el-cheapo however, this does not mean I don't purchase nice things. As a buyer for a company I search out the cheapest deals on everything I purchase including personal items. Rarely if ever pay retail.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a spendthrift in general, although I spend FAR more on clothes than anything else. I eat at fancy restaurants once a month, less fancy restaurants more than that. I leave good tips, especially at places that I frequent repeatedly. I used to eat-out every day, twice a day until I started my weight lifting routine. Now I cook for myself. I bought nice furniture for my apartment and a very expensive stereo. I like to purchase books, but I burn DVDs cause I don't care about having a collection on display, I just want to watch the movie. I've been meaning to upgrade the TV for a year now, but bespoke is eating up my budget :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics