• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you able to tell if a jacket is canvassed by how it falls on someone's body?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if a jacket is canvassed or fused based on how the jackets lays on the person's body? Could scrunching/bunching give it away?

BicesterRules

Reaction score
I can always tell, even a mile away- just look at the guy's face and decide
1) does he look like a guy that would know the difference?,

2) does he look like he could afford it?

3) Am I weird because I am looking at him and thinking about this?

By the end of this period if the guy is looking at you strangely, then you know his suit is not canvassed and you really should be worrying about something else.

Otherwise you can be sure it is canvassed

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually just put both my hands on their chest and feel away.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I give them the pinch test
inlove.gif

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Generally, there's more weight and shape to the jacket but fused has come a long way and I've seen some that hide it pretty well.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
I give them the pinch test
inlove.gif

That was you?
boxing[1].gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In laymans terms, some tell-tale signs of fusing are un-natural creasing, ripples, puckering or bubbling of the fabric; symptoms apparent either from time, improper care or long term exposure to water.
Fusing is used to give structure to a fabric. Since it is adhesive-based, it can, over time, for the reasons mentioned, separate from the overlaying fabric, thus giving the overlaying fabric an improper drape. On a new suit it would be more difficult to spot at a glance.
Comparatively, a canvassed jacket will have a more relaxed and natural drape whereas fused tends to look stiffer, but there are always exceptions.
Conclusively, if a suit is new and well tailored most people would never be able to distinguish fused from canvassed at a glance.

Usul

Reaction score
How long of a distance is it falling from?

TheDandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Is there a way to tell if a jacket is canvassed or fused based on how the jackets lays on the person's body? Could scrunching/bunching give it away?

And then are you talking about fullly canvas or chest piece? but at the end the older the jacket is the more signs of a fuse jackets will arise...

TheDandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Usul
How long of a distance is it falling from?
bounce2.gif
you forgot to ask if the pocket were empty
smile.gif

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo

You can't tell them apart. It often seems like it, because canvassing is correlated with quality and it's easy to tell a cheap suit from an expensive suit. But controlling for price and quality (other than canvassing) I doubt if anyone except the tailors here could distinguish them better than chance.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HPress
You can't tell them apart. It often seems like it, because canvassing is correlated with quality and it's easy to tell a cheap suit from an expensive suit. But controlling for price and quality (other than canvassing) I doubt if anyone except the tailors here could distinguish them better than chance.

while you won't get it right every time, if you have a good eye you can put up a pretty good batting average based on drape.

lapels are even easier.

BicesterRules

Reaction score
nope, I am afraid the eye contact test is still the gold-standard.

It is all in this millisecond glance when you and him look each other eye to eye. Everything else can be faked by a new, well cut glue job, except when you look the guy in the eye, then and only then you will know.

PS: OK this is a **** answer but it was a **** question

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BicesterRules
nope, I am afraid the eye contact test is still the gold-standard.

It is all in this millisecond glance when you and him look each other eye to eye. Everything else can be faked by a new, well cut glue job, except when you look the guy in the eye, then and only then you will know.

PS: OK this is a **** answer but it was a **** question

why is it a **** question? I was asking if canvassing is something visible or if its something just for quality of construction.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads