• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are you able to tell if a jacket is canvassed by how it falls on someone's body?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if a jacket is canvassed or fused based on how the jackets lays on the person's body? Could scrunching/bunching give it away?

BicesterRules

Reaction score
I can always tell, even a mile away- just look at the guy's face and decide
1) does he look like a guy that would know the difference?,

2) does he look like he could afford it?

3) Am I weird because I am looking at him and thinking about this?

By the end of this period if the guy is looking at you strangely, then you know his suit is not canvassed and you really should be worrying about something else.

Otherwise you can be sure it is canvassed

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually just put both my hands on their chest and feel away.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Generally, there's more weight and shape to the jacket but fused has come a long way and I've seen some that hide it pretty well.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
I give them the pinch test

That was you?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In laymans terms, some tell-tale signs of fusing are un-natural creasing, ripples, puckering or bubbling of the fabric; symptoms apparent either from time, improper care or long term exposure to water.
Fusing is used to give structure to a fabric. Since it is adhesive-based, it can, over time, for the reasons mentioned, separate from the overlaying fabric, thus giving the overlaying fabric an improper drape. On a new suit it would be more difficult to spot at a glance.
Comparatively, a canvassed jacket will have a more relaxed and natural drape whereas fused tends to look stiffer, but there are always exceptions.
Conclusively, if a suit is new and well tailored most people would never be able to distinguish fused from canvassed at a glance.

Usul

Reaction score
How long of a distance is it falling from?

TheDandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
Is there a way to tell if a jacket is canvassed or fused based on how the jackets lays on the person's body? Could scrunching/bunching give it away?

And then are you talking about fullly canvas or chest piece? but at the end the older the jacket is the more signs of a fuse jackets will arise...

TheDandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Usul
How long of a distance is it falling from?
you forgot to ask if the pocket were empty

HPress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo

You can't tell them apart. It often seems like it, because canvassing is correlated with quality and it's easy to tell a cheap suit from an expensive suit. But controlling for price and quality (other than canvassing) I doubt if anyone except the tailors here could distinguish them better than chance.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HPress
You can't tell them apart. It often seems like it, because canvassing is correlated with quality and it's easy to tell a cheap suit from an expensive suit. But controlling for price and quality (other than canvassing) I doubt if anyone except the tailors here could distinguish them better than chance.

while you won't get it right every time, if you have a good eye you can put up a pretty good batting average based on drape.

lapels are even easier.

BicesterRules

Reaction score
nope, I am afraid the eye contact test is still the gold-standard.

It is all in this millisecond glance when you and him look each other eye to eye. Everything else can be faked by a new, well cut glue job, except when you look the guy in the eye, then and only then you will know.

PS: OK this is a shit answer but it was a shit question

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BicesterRules
nope, I am afraid the eye contact test is still the gold-standard.

It is all in this millisecond glance when you and him look each other eye to eye. Everything else can be faked by a new, well cut glue job, except when you look the guy in the eye, then and only then you will know.

PS: OK this is a shit answer but it was a shit question

why is it a shit question? I was asking if canvassing is something visible or if its something just for quality of construction.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.