• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you a skinny/narrow tie person or wide tie person?

Are you a skinny/narrow necktie person or wide necktie person?

• Skinny/Narrow (2"-3 1/2" wide) popular in the 1960s, 1980s, and 2010s-present

Votes: 41 78.8%
  • Wide (over 3 3/4" wide aka the Brits call it Kipper tie) popular in the 1970s, late 1990s, 2000s

Votes: 11 21.2%

• Total voters

mjjo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I prefer the skinny/narrow ties and you're seeing more of that again nowadays.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 3.5" tie hardly 'narrow', anything <3.75" and >3.25" is just above average and doesn't really fit into the 'narrow' or 'wide' categories.

Though personally I do prefer ties narrower, as I am quite small myself, so I like them to be 2.75"-3".

streetlord

Reaction score
I liked wider ties, but not too wide, I guess I like the standard brioni width, or maybe even steffano ricci width which is a little wider. Skinny ties scream hip and trendy to me. Hip and trendy = poorly dressed imo.

Last edited:

rick07

Reaction score
There's just a slight difference between a skinny and the regular ties. But I would still grab for the skinny tie.

RingTail

Reaction score
IMO tie width needs to be similar to your lapel width and your lapel width needs to be determined by your chest/shoulder size.
So in my case it's 3" - 3 1/4"

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skinny, because I only wear ties when I go out -- to me a skinny (more like narrow) tie and coat with slender lapels is more "going out on the town" than a traditional width tie/lapel combo.

For about 10 years I wore trad width ties from BB and Talbott almost exclusively to work. One day in the mid-90s, the big boss looked over her glasses at me in a meeting (I was almost certainly wearing charcoal wool slacks, a white OCBD and a Talbott repp tie -- hey, got to have a uniform --), and sniffed, "Oh, I see you dressed up today."

That was the last time I wore a tie in that job. (I'm an editor). I wore ties to work again when I moved to NYC about a decade ago but stopped when I realized even the old guys had stopped wearing them.

I know that sometime in my lifetime wider ties will be in fashion again. But I really hope not. I have a skinny neck and even when they were fashionable I didn't think it looked good.

Last edited:

Blasphima

Reaction score
Wide ties for me. They just seem more masculine than the narrow ones.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree with the below.

I try to stick to ties between 3.25" and 3.75", which I consider the normal range. It doesn't make sense to have 3.5" ties in a separate category from 3.75" ties--they both fall into a classical tie width range.

A 3.5" tie hardly 'narrow', anything <3.75" and >3.25" is just above average and doesn't really fit into the 'narrow' or 'wide' categories.
Though personally I do prefer ties narrower, as I am quite small myself, so I like them to be 2.75"-3".

You should have had skinny, medium, wide.
There is a big difference between a 2" and a 3.5" tie. I'd go 3-3.5 but that doesn't really qualify as a skinny tie.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wide 3.75-4''
Not "kipper" which were much wider

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a narrow tie person but I hate skinny ties, I'd wear wide ties before touching skinnies. what do I click?

Last edited:

Redbird13

Reaction score
I'm actually a fan of both... But still, if I had to pick one, it'd be skinny

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads