1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are you a pack-rat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Toiletduck, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

I'm in the process of packing to move to a new place, and I realized I have too many clothes I don't throw away. What a pain to move it all!

I have probably own 10x more clothesthan what I use in my rotation :S, which translates into 10x more boxes to move....JEEBUS. For a single guy living on my own, I have a lot of boxes to move. [​IMG]

Time to start donating

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

3. Saltwater Wrangler

Saltwater Wrangler Senior member

I used to be when I was moving every year or two. Once I settled down into a house with a decent closet, I find myself cleansing out clothes I don't wear every couple of years. It is a nice way to keep things fresh and makes me at least feel productive. Usually give my clothes away or in some cases sell them on ebay.

4. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I'm a pack rat with shoes and shoe accessories. I always keep the box and packing for some reason. And I have a bunch of shoe brochures and literature too, which was free, not exactly valuable.

My one saving grace is that I sell stuff quickly. If I buy something over the internet and I am disappointed with it when it arrives, it will be returned or sold within 2 weeks. Thats all I have going for me though.

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I'm trying to keep the shoe boxes now brcause they're very practical if you do not have a walk-in wardrobe.....My dream!!!!

I used to throw them directly in the bin before ending with 12 pair of shoes taking the dust in my bedroom....

I'm a rat pack but i do hate carrier bags with designer names on them...

6. kakemono

kakemono Senior member

I am not a packrat. Usually once a year, I will clean out my drawers and anything I havent worn in over a year, I usually send to goodwill.

This also applies to anything I don't ever think I would wear anymore.

When I lost my 65lbs, I tugged out 4 black trash bags full of clothes to goodwill.

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

lasbar thought you said "Are you Rat Pack?"

[​IMG]

8. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

lasbar thought you said "Are you Rat Pack?"
    Lat pack?

9. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

I am a recovering pack rat. It has been only in the past few months that I've realized that I have way too much crap. I'm actually taking pictures of stuff to post on Ebay this weekend. Funny thing is that this realization coincided with my discovery of SF. Once I get rid of all the crap in my closet, I can replenish it with higher-end crap.

By the way, Lost In Translation was great. Lip my stockings!

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Tarmac ,be gentle with older people....[​IMG]

After my bedtime ,i'm getting confused...pack-rat or rat-pack is the same for dyslexic people ..

11. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Hey, are you going to send some stuff (ie links) my way? [​IMG]

12. william

william Senior member

I'm definitely NOT a pack rat. As soon as I find I'm not wearing/using something I unload it on ebay or give it to the Salvation Army.

13. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I most definitely am though in my defence everything eventually gets used for something.

14. jabreal00

jabreal00 Senior member

I am not a packrat. Usually once a year, I will clean out my drawers and anything I havent worn in over a year, I usually send to goodwill.

This also applies to anything I don't ever think I would wear anymore.

When I lost my 65lbs, I tugged out 4 black trash bags full of clothes to goodwill.

Agreed. Anything that I haven't worn once in a year I give away to goodwill, including shoes. Classic stuff will stand the test of time. However, experimental, trendy, or transitional stuff often get given away. Plus one has to reload periodically to remain modern.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Are you mad or what? I'm sure if we were taolking of Brioni ,Kiton or bespoke suits ,you will revise your judgements.....Quality must decide if you do keep something or not,not the measure of time...