• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you a complete package?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you value/possess other material objects as highly as clothes?

People talk about suits in the thousands dollar range, shoes in excess of 1K..etc. My question to these folks is do you buy/use the "best" in everything else in life.

Are you a smartly attired man in Oxxford/Brioni/Kiton and a pair of Vass, with a Lange 1 on your wrist (on Tuesdays), going to work in your BMW 6 series, and coming back to your million dollar home, and keeping track of your investment porfolio/real estate, or are you

A smartly attired man in Brioni, or Edward Green, but gets about in your Honda/Toyota, checking the time of day on the Ken Cole on your wrist, and retiring at night to your rental apartment.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i am a smartly attired man, no Edward Green or brioni, driving a toyota, sometimes with a kenneth cole watch, and retiring to my apartment in south coast.
although one of my best accessories are my santoni FAMs, i look much better with my wife by my side! (although she would sock me in the face if she found out i called her "an accessory")
boxing[1].gif

so lee, from the monetary/materials point of view, i am not a complete package no where near it.

and i dont mind it, in a way, i dont want to be, as you and i know that our lives can be enriched in so many other things other than clothes and posessions. that's why im married!

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It kind of depends. Some things I value more so i spend a disporportionate amount on them. In my job (sales) image is important so i try to look good everyday. As far as a vehicle I live in a city with very good public transportation so that is not as important. In short I spend more on somethings and less than others. That being said I do not own any Kiton or Brioni.

tgfny

Reaction score
I buy quality things that provide value. Own EG's, but have only bought one pair for full price. PS suits, but on sale. Custom DJ's and suits, but from a tailor on Queen St in Edinburgh, not London. Have always driven Range Rovers, but have never bought one less than 2 years old. Have a rent stabilized apartment, so I have golden handcuffs here in NYC.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I workout.

VooDooATL

Reaction score
I almost never pay full retail, and as I enjoy home remodel I drive a truck now. I used to drive a New Yorker. Not the best in the world, but it was a very nice ride in its day.

As for the watch, well I own a Rolex but its a full face and a bit large for me as I am very slim. My TV is a mitsubishi, at the time the best in big screens.

So maybe I buy the best, but my 5 bedroom 3/12 bath was under 200k and I don't like to spend money without a good return on it. A $200 suit that last a year isn't really a good value compared to a $1,500 suit that last long enough for you to foget what year you got it in.

Maybe when I work my way up to CTO it will change, I have another 25 years until I expect to retire.

A more intersting question is how many members are over/under the 6-figure mark

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm more often referred to as a complete tool, if that helps.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In a word: yes.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog"
-- New Yorker cartoon.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Do you value/possess other material objects as highly as clothes?

People talk about suits in the thousands dollar range, shoes in excess of 1K..etc. My question to these folks is do you buy/use the "best" in everything else in life.

Are you a smartly attired man in Oxxford/Brioni/Kiton and a pair of Vass, with a Lange 1 on your wrist (on Tuesdays), going to work in your BMW 6 series, and coming back to your million dollar home, and keeping track of your investment porfolio/real estate, or are you

A smartly attired man in Brioni, or Edward Green, but gets about in your Honda/Toyota, checking the time of day on the Ken Cole on your wrist, and retiring at night to your rental apartment.

I'm a smartly attired man who seeks out good value and will splurge occasionally on beautiful clothing, gets about in his Honda, checks the time of day on his Oris wristwatch and retires at night to his rental apartment (a temporary situation). I search out the absolute best only in my investments (time and money) and my companions.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VooDooATL

A more intersting question is how many members are over/under the 6-figure mark

Some of us may be over this mark but don't have any material possessions due to spending time on other "priorities". Maybe some of you in banking may back me up, but the first few years in banking really fills up your bank account at the expense of having no other life aspects to show for it . . .

FWIW, I just started purchasing "finer items" of menswear (after 6 years in this damn job . . . . the problem is I love doing it). I've just gotten to the point of realization that my life (in more aspects than just acquiring finer items) lacks balance . . . .

That's why I am here at SF, to handle at least one aspect of this imbalance . .

Sorry didn't mean to take this thread slightly off-track . . .

VooDooATL

Reaction score
True, I know after I added a 2 or 3 smaller family members I tend to spend more "tightly" then I did before. But then again most of those better items I still own and wear.

Somehow they all got smaller in the waist, not sure how that happened - must be a odd type of moth...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
smartly attired man in Brioni, or Edward Green, but gets about in your Honda/Toyota, checking the time of day on the Ken Cole on your wrist, and retiring at night to your rental apartment.
Substitute Subaru and Stowa, and you aren't far off. However, I certainly do not feel an expensive home/car etc is necessary for me to be complete.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. My weaknesses are limited to Yves Saint Laurent clothes, for women: vintage only. Charles Jourdan shoes, for men and women: vintage only. Cashmere coats by Armani Black Label. And for a few, fine fragrances. Cialenga, for women. Signoricci and Jules, for men. I love old world architecture, as well. Thankfully I got my fill of that, when I was young.

423fre2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads