Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are you a complete package?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lee_44106, Oct 10, 2006.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'm young but I do appreciate things that are of good design and quality, though I do not like paying full price for anything (hard to do with things like cars and houses).

I would rather spend extra and get something that is really what I want, and aestetically pleasing, though I do not live outside my means.

I also believe that physical possessions always come secondary to the things that really matter most in life, and only help to accent the important things in life - but cannot provide any sort of substitute.

2. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

and don't know how to drive.

are you serious?

-Jeff

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The title makes it sound like a dating ad. What it sounds like you're describing is an aesthetic approach to life, the bon vivant, the German Schongeisterei.

4. jrandyv

jrandyv Member

5. MrRogers

MrRogers Senior member

Hmmmm... I think i'm doing OK for someone in my situation.

I'm 26, I work full-time as a therapist and am completing a doctorate degree so money can be tight at times. I definately appreciate the finer things in life and would have to say that most of my excess income goes towards clothes and shoes. I'm all for quality over quantity and everything I own is representative of that. I like to smoke fine pipes and cigars also.

I drive an 06 Z4 bmw and a jeep cherokee, watch is an invicta but i like it.

MrR

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

After reading the forums for several years, this seems to be one of those questions that can only viewed as ironic in that a person who was a "complete package" wouldn't be interested in the forums.

7. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

The title makes it sound like a dating ad.

What it sounds like you're describing is an aesthetic approach to life, the bon vivant, the German Schongeisterei.

I'd rather be a good liver than have one.

A life not filled with aesthetic delight is too abject to be worth living.

8. Sator

Sator Senior member

As far as gaudy financial status symbols go I have close to none.

That said, in the true spirit of dandyism I can say with pride that I speak three languages fluenty, have a thorough knowledge of the biosciences (genomics, proteomics, and other molecular esoterica), can discuss Plato, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Heidegger and Derrida, as well as about any major composer of note from c.1400 to the present day and am slowly learning more French, Italian and Russian in addition to my other languages. Goethe said that there are three virtues in life - art, science and religion - and that whoever does not posess the last should posess the other two. That is certainly what I have done.

For those of you without riches or a great breadth of education, I certainly look forward to you being able to at least claim that you have other traits worthy of the true dandy such as charm, and wit. These are all things that cannot merely be brought and which I value far more than trivial material goals.

9. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

I try to reconcile my contradictions. I appreciate aesthetics, but I´m frugal. I think a compulsive buyer is too busy hunting to appreciate the goods he has.

I don´t have many dress shoes, but they are C&J handgrades (bought at half price, of course).

I have a BMW 3 series, but I´ll drive it until it falls apart (bought at a 28% discount).

I have an IWC watch, that I´ll keep until I die (bought second hand for 55% off retail).

I´m not a complete package, but I think complete enough.

10. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I agree with Sator

For me the whole package means to have style in yourself...

I am a cultivated man, speak 5 languages ( E, S, I, F, G ) learning slowly R, an artist and philosopher, I play music and enjoy theather and art exposition, a dancer I dance latin, tango and ballrom.

As about clothes I am a well dressed man but I don't buy the expensive garments...

I do cycling and do have the carbon 5500 Trek ( and one 5200 for my girl )

I drive a nice BMW 320i

In my view style is something you have inside and it comes as a result of how you have cultivated your inner sense of beauty and how you have enriched your soul with culture...

It doesn't come from the $$$$

You can be a "complete package" man without the expensive toys

You can be an unstylish wannabe in Kiton & Lobb...

Your choice.

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Sator, the fact that one of your languages is Japanese is already a pretty impressive accomplishment, not to mention the rest.

I have to agree that "the complete package" must include accomplishments that round one out spiritually and not merely the transient satisfaction that comes from owning nice things. If one's possessions are outward emblems of an inner richness, they have much more significance, even if relatively modest, than the possessions of someone who seeks to fill an inner void by owning fine things.

Perhaps the question should be not whether everything you own is as nice as your clothes but rather whether the fineness of your possessions mirrors an inner richness.

If the answer is no, perhaps you should make the acquaintance of Victor Ward.

12. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

My whole package is being caressed soft cotton right now

[​IMG]

13. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

My whole package is being caressed soft cotton right now

[​IMG]

i didnt know you love jantzen so much[​IMG]

14. Newton

Newton Senior member

Great post Sator.

While I have different interests to you, and am still working on my second language (English being first), I can say I take a similar approach to life.

I enjoy dressing well, and helping others achieve that end, but life is so much more than that.

I'm glad to have moved beyond that focus on material wealth and symbols that so many others are consumed by. You can't take anything to the next life.

15. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

, and retiring at night to your rental apartment.

There are some pretty nice rental apartments.

[​IMG]