1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

are you a collector or wearer???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by discostu004, Jul 30, 2006.

1. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

or both? just curious. i rarely have to wear anything dressy, but i still buy and keep some thing that i might never put on, thus i'm a collector. how many of you buy and KNOW you'll wear it a lot, and how many buy just b/c you want it and know you might only wear 3 times?

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Distinguished Member

Buy it and wear it! Less tolerant of those items that don't allow alot of flexibility and options.

3. wheelerray

wheelerray Senior Member

I wear everything. If I buy something a little unconventional or really dressy my wife says; "Why are you buying that, you'll never wear it." I then HAVE to wear it, and often.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

At one point I developed a liking for vintage Versace, so I bought various items by the late Gianni Versace, which I also wear.

However, I would like a Comme des Garcons archive with Knize Vienna.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

Darn. There just ain't enough days in a year to wear everything. However, I really try to everything once a year, but I'm sure that stuff that only gets worn every few years.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

Darn. There just ain't enough days in a year to wear everything. However, I really try to everything once a year, but I'm sure that stuff that only gets worn every few years.
    Ditto. There's just too much at this point to wear everything.

7. stach

stach Senior Member

Some things I buy just to have on hand in case I need something like it later on. I dislike having to buy something under pressure.

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

I'm mostly a wearer but I will admit to some collecting tendencies. I have some stuff that I bought knowing that I would rarely wear it. You can't always be pragmatic about things...

9. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

A little of both at this point. I rarely wear a suit and tie, yet I continue to buy. It really does make me look for opportunities to wear them though.[​IMG]

10. TomW

TomW Senior Member

I wear most of what I buy, but like thinman, I don't have to wear a suit and tie often. I choose to wear them often enough though :) and actively seek opportunity to wear everything in my wardrobe.

Now for the guilty confession part - I have more ties, braces, pocket squares and socks than I can possibly need and most see very rare use. Yet I continue to acquire them, especially pocket squares.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

most of my shoes i buy are worn , different frequencies of wearing for each shoe, but for my higher end shoes (santoni fam, lobb) i am more the collector because i cannot stand anything else for the shoes other than display under some flattering light. [​IMG]

12. rnoldh

rnoldh Stylish Dinosaur

You've made me think about it and i guess I am both wearer and collector. I definitely buy things that I innately know that I'll never wear "but I must have it"!

I'm also guilty of occasionally buying the "Bargain"! It was such a good deal that I had to buy it. But I'll never wear it. This differs from buying as a collector though.

Anyone else familiar with buying the "Bargain"?

13. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior Member

I wish I had as many places to wear nice clothes as I have the desire to buy them. Consider me a wearer that occasionally morphs into a collector.

14. tbabes

tbabes Senior Member

I have never bought an item of clothing that I don't intend to wear. Granted, some things I will wear more often than others, but I certainly haven't purchased any clothes or shoes just to say "I have them" or for display purposes.

15. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

I have never bought an item of clothing that I don't intend to wear. Granted, some things I will wear more often than others, but I certainly haven't purchased any clothes or shoes just to say "I have them" or for display purposes.

I concur.