are you a collector or wearer???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by discostu004, Jul 30, 2006.

1. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

or both? just curious. i rarely have to wear anything dressy, but i still buy and keep some thing that i might never put on, thus i'm a collector. how many of you buy and KNOW you'll wear it a lot, and how many buy just b/c you want it and know you might only wear 3 times?

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Buy it and wear it! Less tolerant of those items that don't allow alot of flexibility and options.

3. wheelerray

wheelerray Senior member

I wear everything. If I buy something a little unconventional or really dressy my wife says; "Why are you buying that, you'll never wear it." I then HAVE to wear it, and often.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

At one point I developed a liking for vintage Versace, so I bought various items by the late Gianni Versace, which I also wear.

However, I would like a Comme des Garcons archive with Knize Vienna.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Darn. There just ain't enough days in a year to wear everything. However, I really try to everything once a year, but I'm sure that stuff that only gets worn every few years.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Darn. There just ain't enough days in a year to wear everything. However, I really try to everything once a year, but I'm sure that stuff that only gets worn every few years.
    Ditto. There's just too much at this point to wear everything.

7. stach

stach Senior member

Some things I buy just to have on hand in case I need something like it later on. I dislike having to buy something under pressure.

8. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I'm mostly a wearer but I will admit to some collecting tendencies. I have some stuff that I bought knowing that I would rarely wear it. You can't always be pragmatic about things...

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

A little of both at this point. I rarely wear a suit and tie, yet I continue to buy. It really does make me look for opportunities to wear them though.[​IMG]

10. TomW

TomW Senior member

I wear most of what I buy, but like thinman, I don't have to wear a suit and tie often. I choose to wear them often enough though :) and actively seek opportunity to wear everything in my wardrobe.

Now for the guilty confession part - I have more ties, braces, pocket squares and socks than I can possibly need and most see very rare use. Yet I continue to acquire them, especially pocket squares.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

most of my shoes i buy are worn , different frequencies of wearing for each shoe, but for my higher end shoes (santoni fam, lobb) i am more the collector because i cannot stand anything else for the shoes other than display under some flattering light. [​IMG]

12. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

You've made me think about it and i guess I am both wearer and collector. I definitely buy things that I innately know that I'll never wear "but I must have it"!

I'm also guilty of occasionally buying the "Bargain"! It was such a good deal that I had to buy it. But I'll never wear it. This differs from buying as a collector though.

Anyone else familiar with buying the "Bargain"?

13. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I wish I had as many places to wear nice clothes as I have the desire to buy them. Consider me a wearer that occasionally morphs into a collector.

14. tbabes

tbabes Senior member

I have never bought an item of clothing that I don't intend to wear. Granted, some things I will wear more often than others, but I certainly haven't purchased any clothes or shoes just to say "I have them" or for display purposes.

15. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I have never bought an item of clothing that I don't intend to wear. Granted, some things I will wear more often than others, but I certainly haven't purchased any clothes or shoes just to say "I have them" or for display purposes.

I concur.