• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are wrinkles okay?

EddieK

Reaction score
I'm confused about this.
I thought wrinkles were bad, but Hugo who is sartorial legend wears some suits with lots of wrinkles.
Here's one of his suits with lots of wrinkles you can see at the 0:08 - 0:10 mark. I remember him saying too (in one of his videos) that he doesn't mind them and they are okay.

masernaut

Reaction score
Looks like a linen suit. Wrinkles can't be avoided with linen. Wrinkles on a wool suit? Looks unkempt.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
are you referring to wrinkles in cloth as a characteristic of the cloth?
Wrinkles of how the cloth drapes as an effect of fit?

Fret over facial wrinkles in your skin under your eyes and on your aging face, not in your clothes.

Wrinkled cloth doesn't bother me until, for example, the trouser crease has gone away. That's when I press trousers.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simple, but fascinating question.

It depends on the cloth, how it's put together, and the overall impression IMO.

I find wrinkly poplin shirts consistently look awful.

Wrinkly oxford shirts generally look great though. They look more rumply and "lived in".

Wrinkly linen also looks lived in, and that's what Hugo is wearing in the referenced video.

Rumpled chinos are also a favourite of mine.

I've a fine twill cotton sports coat that also rumples nicely at the elbows and back.

I've a pair of fine twill cotton trousers with some stretch that look wretched when wrinkled and completely lose their shape.

papa kot

Reaction score
Depends on many factors, even a situation where you observe the wrinkles.

Obviously wrinkled clothing, as in "I do not own an iron," bothers me. I find it inappropriate for anyone but kids who can be expected to iron their clothing.

Wrinkles in linen are fine.

Wrinkles in suites depend on a situation. At the end of a busy workday, pants may show a few. That is okay. If someone rolls into a meeting with a suit that clearly has not been looked after, it is bad.

EddieK

Reaction score
Very insightful stuff. Thanks.

So basically it depends on the situation, the fabric, and the type of clothing.
But wrinkling caused by fit issues such as too tight or too lose is bad.

ryanluo23

Reaction score
I'm confused about this.
I thought wrinkles were bad, but Hugo who is sartorial legend wears some suits with lots of wrinkles.
Here's one of his suits with lots of wrinkles you can see at the 0:08 - 0:10 mark. I remember him saying too (in one of his videos) that he doesn't mind them and they are okay.

That dude needs a haircut lol

[email protected]

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wrinkles are the expression of a worn item of clothing.
Can wrinkles be avoided? With certain fabrics yes.
Is it OK? That's a question of personal taste and where the wrinkled outfit is being worn to.
A wrinkled shirt/ suit is expected in certain areas of the body. It's a question of how far wrinkled before it's actually not wrinkled, but crumpled.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.