1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are wingtips the male equivalent of the high heel shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Perdogg, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Perdogg

Perdogg Well-Known Member

I wore my Magnannis to my office Christmas function Saturday night. They did not hurt my feet, but I had to walk around in them for 8 hours they probably would have. Are wigtips for show or are they suppose to actually be comfortable?

I have had them a while, I am still knid of waiting for them to break in.

2. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

So, are you positing that the outter design of the shoe makes them less comfortable?

3 people like this.
  3. OJKD

OJKD Active Member

Wingtips isn´t as comfortable as sneakers, if that was your question. They are not painful to wear either, but I would not run 10 miles in them. As for the comparison to high heels, I am not very familiar with wearing high heels, so I can´t help you there.

4. OinkBoink

OinkBoink Senior member

I feel far more comfortable in high heels, but probably not for the reasons you're discussing here.

1 person likes this.
  5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

This is a very strange thread.

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

No, they are not the equivalent, and they are not remotely comparable. They should be as comfortable as any other dress shoe if they fit you properly. If you are expecting something as comfortable as a sneaker, you are going to have to go down to a cheap foam filled dress shoe (something like a Rockport). The wingtips are just the design in the leather upper (irrelevant to comfort), so they still come down to just being bluchers or balmorals. Women's high heels are fashion first, function second. Men's dress shoes change colors and designs to be fashionable while the foundation remains a functional traditional leather shoe.

7. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

My brown shoes are more comfortable than my black shoes.

8. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

my wingtips have air max sole unit. seriously i don't buy into the leather soles for fashion's sake. its like wearing high feels. function over form any day of the weak. :foo::slayer:

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Cap toes hurt more than wingtips and less than flip flops

10. Chaos_Cow

Chaos_Cow Well-Known Member

No. If your shoes aren't comfortable after break-in get rid of them and get new ones. There are handsome dress shoes that would be very comfortable on you so why would you not wear them instead?

11. VirtruviusR

VirtruviusR Senior member

Is it just me, or is obvious troll obvious?

12. red81

red81 Senior member

it's not very troll-y.

i wore my new wingtips (that i bought before joining here) for about 5 hours last night, and my feet were hurting. i'm hoping they'll stretch out as they're tight on the sides. i'd never think of asking the questions in the way op did, but hey..

13. mymil

mymil Senior member

I find that wingtips with a larger medallion are more comfortable than those with small medallions. So maybe that's your problem?

14. chogall

chogall Senior member

they dont fit right.

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I don't wear leather soles just for fashion's sake. I like the feel, and don't find them at all uncomfortable.

Believe it or not, your foot did not evolve to require heavy cushioning at all times. If the muscles in your foot are healthy (though if you spend your entire life in heavily cushioned shoes designed to prevent your feet from having to use their muscles, the odds of that are not good), you should be able to walk, run and stand all day in any appropriate fitting shoe, regardless of cushioning. Trust me, I was doing some 6-8 hour stretches of canvassing during the recent election with no problems. I usually wore camp mocs, which don't have leather soles (didn't want to bang up nicer shoes) but aren't anywhere close to a sneaker either.

OP's shoes probably don't fit right or aren't as broken in as he thinks they are.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  16. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

If you are asking if they are equivalent in terms of formality then i would say yes they are. But if you are asking if they serve a purpose like high heel shoes (a model friend of mine once told me that high heels make their thighs look fuller or something along those lines) then i have no idea

17. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Oh dear, this thread is a disappointment. I was hoping the OP was asking whether wingtips had the same fetishistic turn-on effect on women that high-heels do on most men. This proposition struck me as improbable, but I was looking forward to the discussion.

18. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Only if the wingtips are worn with fishnet stockings. Add seams and you're unstoppable.

Try it the next time you go out prowling........................report back here on the results.

:lurk:

19. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

^My prowling days are far behind me. I'm just a weary old man these days.

20. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

so that's a 'no go' on the fishnets?

:cloud: