• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Wholecuts on Big Feet Appropriate?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, wholecuts just don't look quite right on big feet (size 11 and larger). They look like, for lack of a better word, boats.

Any thoughts on this? Agree or disagree? I love the look of wholecuts; that is, until I put them on!

bonorawhoecut01anm4.jpg

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
To me, wholecuts just don't look quite right on big feet (size 11 and larger). They look like, for lack of a better word, boats. Any thoughts on this? Agree or disagree? I love the look of wholecuts; that is, until I put them on!
Try wholecuts with a floating medallion. I find that some kind of toe decoration helps make my gunboats look smaller. Another option is to buy trousers with a larger ankle opening. I think the rule of thumb is that trouser width at the ankle should be 2/3 of your shoe length. I actually own 2 pairs of Grenson Stowes, wholecuts with a plain toe, and they don't look terrible, but I do prefer a medallion or a toe cap or both.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite shoes are a pair of EG/RLPL monks, that make my size 12's look like I'm ready for a water landing . . . especially with a somewhat slimmer cut suit.
blush.gif

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I found some AE wholecuts in my size (12) and they were giant. Looked like loaves of bread.
I think it's just that AE wholecuts in any size tend to look like loaves of bread.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i think the whole 'wholecut' look pretty much depends on the last it is on.
a more tapered and chiseled wholecut looks really elegant when in darker colors and can be worn with a very strict business attire.

a wholecut on a more endearing AE last let say Westgate, in a lighter fun color adds more depth to a casual ensemble.

i think it is more the proportion more than just size per se, as a large footed man who is built large will look elegant in a wholecut chisel, while a large footed man who is average or less than average size overall will look more wise to wear a different shoe.

minimal

Reaction score
I have very large feet (USA 12.5 EE), and in my experience there's no way to tell without trying them on. There seems to no formula to tell what style will look "light" on a big foot. I was very surprised that the Santoni Thorpe (a heavy double-sole with reverse welt) made my feet look comparitively narrow and small (-ish). And I felt the same way about the C&J Weymouth, which also makes my feet look smaller/thinner (and that's a wholecut).

Maybe, as thinman suggested, it's the detailing that does it: a medallion or seam may lighten it shoe visually.

There's also a scale issue: I'm pretty tall, so a large foot is "proportional". It's probably more difficult to blend if you are not tall yet have very large feet.

P.S. Maybe you're right: wholecuts look awful on you. You must consider getting rid of those wholecuts above at once, & I can help you out.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by minimal
I have very large feet (USA 12.5 EE), and in my experience there's no way to tell without trying them on. There seems to no formula to tell what style will look "light" on a big foot. I was very surprised that the Santoni Thorpe (a heavy double-sole with reverse welt) made my feet look comparitively narrow and small (-ish). And I felt the same way about the C&J Weymouth, which also makes my feet look smaller/thinner (and that's a wholecut).

What size Weymouth do you wear?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
To me, wholecuts just don't look quite right on big feet

That's been my perception as well.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To me wholecuts don't look right on any feet.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
now i like a whole cut, i think it al depends on the the last shape and color more than the size if they are too small they wont look good and if it is too big then they wont look good too but all shoes will look the same if ether too big or too small

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i stand 5'6" but have 10-1/2" feet, and i have a pair of wholecuts with floating medallion that doesnt seem inappropriate, though i have tried on pure whole cuts before which i found unsuitable for me.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color, shape, etc. of the shoes and the color and style of the rest of the look will make the determination. For example, bolder shoes work better with a bolder tie/shirt/jacket combination. It is safe to say that, all else being equal, wholecuts aren't that versatible.

minimal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
What size Weymouth do you wear?

Well, I got mine from Ben Silver, so I think the sizing is not the same as the UK. I'm a 12E (says on the inside 11.5E). I tried a 12.5E (says 12E on inside) but it seemed a bit large so I'm going to return them.

What's strange is that, as far as i can see, the 337 last comes in only one width (UK E). So I'm not sure how BS has both US D and US E sizes. All a bit confusing, and no one seems to be able to explain the score.

This only matters when I want to order shoes that BS does not sell, e.g. directly from C&J, so at some point i have to figure out the UK sizing.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i think the whole 'wholecut' look pretty much depends on the last it is on.
a more tapered and chiseled wholecut looks really elegant when in darker colors and can be worn with a very strict business attire.

a wholecut on a more endearing AE last let say Westgate, in a lighter fun color adds more depth to a casual ensemble.

I'm 5'10"-11" and I wear the Westgates in chili in a size 10, thanks to you know who. There is no other shoe that I wear that gets noticed positively as much as that shoe. I wear it with khaki's, dress trousers and they look equally at home. I am not a huge AE fan and the Westgates look silly in pics with the stitching and the 360 welt but they just work in the flesh. I can;t explain it, you have to own them to understand. I actually need someone to get me another pair in a dark brown, diorshoe
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads