Are white pants totally useless?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stylemeup, Apr 1, 2010.

1. stylemeup

stylemeup Senior member

The other day I wore a pair of white pants for the first time. I had heard the cliches about how white sucks because all the dirt shows. I thought I will simply be extra vigiliant not to spill things on my white pants and I'd be ok. But I was wrong. Merely walking around caused the pants to acquire obscene stain marks all over the place, starting less than half an hour after I left the house, and getting worse all day long.

So I want to know, are white pants totally useless?

If not, what is the practical use that they have?

Is there any way to use white pants and not have them look like crap shortly after leaving the house?

2. randob300

randob300 Senior member

They're good for WAYWRN photos. Got to admit, they look great for 15 minutes in a controlled environment.

I'm with you, white just doesn't work for me in the real world.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I have a pair of white linen pants that I wore quite a bit last summer. Yes, it was hard to keep them stain-free before the end of the day, but because they're washable, I didn't worry too much about it. I'm looking forward to wearing them again in a couple of months. I won't buy non-washable white pants since I typically have to clean them after each wear.

4. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

I wore my pair in a Mexican village for a week. No stains except for some brown dirt near the cuffs, and not very noticeable at that. Don't wipe your hands on your thighs, grubby little children.

5. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

Have a few pairs, including linen and jeans. As long as it's not a rainy/muddy day they've always been okay. Mind you, one of the pairs of white jeans is for horse-riding and they DO get dirty.

6. Petko

Petko Active Member

I also share in your frustrations. As hard as one might try to keep a pair of white trousers spotless, there will always the odd brush against something or itchy thigh. Thankfully, off-whites and light beiges are much better at hiding such stains/marks while offering pretty much the same matching options as white.

7. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rule of thumb is that you need twice as many pair of white to get the same wear that you would from something like gray. They are at the laundry more often and in turn that shortens their life.

But still, they look great with a navy jacket.

8. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

Is there any way to use white pants and not have them look like crap shortly after leaving the house?

From Miami-based observation, I think you need to be Brazilian.

9. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

As with white shoes (like bucks or two-tone saddles), you've got to have a relaxed attitude about it and just accept that smudges are part of the look. If you're wearing white pants, you're presumably in a casual environment, and a little stain here or there comes with the territory. Just roll with it and you'll live a longer, more stress-free life.

10. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Rule of thumb is that you need twice as many pair of white to get the same wear that you would from something like gray. They are at the laundry more often and in turn that shortens their life.

But still, they look great with a navy jacket.

This

As with white shoes (like bucks or two-tone saddles), you've got to have a relaxed attitude about it and just accept that smudges are part of the look. If you're wearing white pants, you're presumably in a casual environment, and a little stain here or there comes with the territory. Just roll with it and you'll live a longer, more stress-free life.

And this.

11. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Yes they mark, and personally I can't get more than a day's wear out of them but I like them so put up with it...

I buy relatively cheap cotton ones so if they mark it's not the end of the world.

12. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

I wear mine and like most things, it just takes practice.

13. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

yeah, i'm glad i have my pairs. not useful for every situation, but perfect for some.

14. Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean Senior member

They're good for WAYWRN photos. Got to admit, they look great for 15 minutes in a controlled environment.

I'm with you, white just doesn't work for me in the real world.

What about white shirts then? [​IMG]

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

What about white shirts then? [​IMG]
    I wash white shirts after every wear, just like white pants.