• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are Webdesigners typically flakey?

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
I fired my last web designer & went with a new guy & the lack of attention when it comes to returning phone calls & emails is driving me nuts. I come from the lending/banking/insurance world & this is simply not tolerated. In my industry if you say, "I'll call you at 2pm" You call the person. If you get an email, you try your best to return it in a reasonable time without any excuses (say within 24hrs).

I feel like Web designers are people who tend to over promise & under deliver. I'd rather have someone tell me, "It'll take a month" & deliver in 2 weeks, than someone tell me, "I can get that done by tomorrow" & then it's not completed for 5 days.

The web site I have is a forum/blog style forum kind of like SF I run as something fun to do on my own.

So for you guys who do Web Design, SEO stuff is this just typical & should I just be patient?

 

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
3,778
Reaction score
5
I'm not actually a web designer but am always forced into the role because I am typically the only one in the office that knows how to design and code. Also, like you, I do expect things to be done a certain way.

That said, when it comes to creative people, a little slack needs to be given. They don't work or think like more analytical people. Your expectations need to be adjusted.

One of my first jobs was as a production manager at a bridal magazine. Kinda like an editor, but I managed the artists. I was a stickler for deadlines and way too hard on them. The editor took me aside and taught me how to properly work with our artists. I learned more at that job than any other I've had since.

By the way, most "web designers" are not actually professionals. You might be just hiring a kid that knows a lot about computers. If that's the case, you get what you get.
 

unjung

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
6,569
Reaction score
14
The professional (F500 clientele) firm I work with is very attentive. Only once have they not called when they said they would. They regularly get their team together in their conference room to call me. And when I have a question about their code, the programmer writes me several pages to explain. They have account managers who coordinate all this.

We are looking at five-figure bills.

You get what you pay for.
 

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Good points! Especially the last sentence. I think he's fairly young but then again my last web designer was in her 40's. But you gave some real good insight. I'll cut the "kid" some slack as long as he gets the work done! Thanks!


Originally Posted by JoeWoah
I'm not actually a web designer but am always forced into the role because I am typically the only one in the office that knows how to design and code. Also, like you, I do expect things to be done a certain way.

That said, when it comes to creative people, a little slack needs to be given. They don't work or think like more analytical people. Your expectations need to be adjusted.

One of my first jobs was as a production manager at a bridal magazine. Kinda like an editor, but I managed the artists. I was a stickler for deadlines and way too hard on them. The editor took me aside and taught me how to properly work with our artists. I learned more at that job than any other I've had since.

By the way, most "web designers" are not actually professionals. You might be just hiring a kid that knows a lot about computers. If that's the case, you get what you get.
 

TowleY

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
295
Reaction score
0
If you ar paying them, they should do as you tell them. At least as they tell you. If you want my brother cand o web designing. I can see if he is looking for a job. He does alot of web advertising for big companies and works at a web advertising company called didit.com
Some of his clients are google, some of the adult meeting sites,
 

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by unjung
You get what you pay for.

Good point but I feel like in my case maybe I'm put on the back burner not because I'm getting a truly lower than competitive price BUUUT because I'm a "small fry" & not spending 5 figures!

It's kind of funny you mentioned this though because upon my first attempt to contract a good webdesigner to redo my site many of them turned me away saying it's not cost effective for them to work with smaller projects.

But it could just very well be that the bigger projects get priority while my measily little site redo is taking a back seat.

Money is money & if you take on the responsibility of "opening shop" then you should give all customers their due time regardless if they spend $100K or $1K. Because that $1K guy could turn into a $1mill & then guess who that person turns to if you treated them right?

Thanks for the insight!
 

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
3,778
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by oceans11
Good point but I feel like in my case maybe I'm put on the back burner not because I'm getting a truly lower than competitive price BUUUT because I'm a "small fry" & not spending 5 figures!

It's kind of funny you mentioned this though because upon my first attempt to contract a good webdesigner to redo my site many of them turned me away saying it's not cost effective for them to work with smaller projects.

But it could just very well be that the bigger projects get priority while my measily little site redo is taking a back seat.

Money is money & if you take on the responsibility of "opening shop" then you should give all customers their due time regardless if they spend $100K or $1K. Because that $1K guy could turn into a $1mill & then guess who that person turns to if you treated them right?

Thanks for the insight!


If that's the case, you might be better off getting a college kid to do it for you. They work cheap and you'll probably be their only client. Things might take a little while because, well you know how it is, but you'll get more personal attention especially if you spend some time with them too.

Everyone needs to start somewhere.
 

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Everyone needs to start somewhere.


True, true! I think I think I'll take the advice you guys gave earlier & maybe chill for a second & give this kid a chance to show & prove. I mean I haven't paid anything yet. The only thing that scares me is my site is pretty much in limbo until he transfers everything to his server, makes the updates & cleans up the site.
 

visionology

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,698
Reaction score
1
Bigger firms and more established designers can better estimate time and delivery and often have teams set up to help project manage.

I work with designers (am a designer myself) who routinely deliver on time and as expected however as an exception to the rule I have worked with large companies who were nearly 6 months overdue on projects and left clients frustrated and threatening to leave.

On the flipside I have worked with overbearing clients who expect the world for a dime. I've learned to better tell from the initial stage if a project will be right between the client and I, in some cases I tell them that they would be better off elsewhere.
 

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
18,440
Reaction score
2,957
yes they are flakey as fuck. i employ 8 of them and they are all flakes. as are the 20-30 others i've employed over the years.

i also find that people who offer to design AND code are jacks of all trades and masters of none.
 

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
3,778
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i also find that people who offer to design AND code are jacks of all trades and masters of none.

 

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by visionology
I've learned to better tell from the initial stage if a project will be right between the client and I, in some cases I tell them that they would be better off elsewhere.

Well, that's fair though. At least you're giving your potential or even non potential clients a heads up & letting them know up front instead of trying to capture every fish in the pond.
 

oceans11

Senior Member
Joined
May 5, 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i also find that people who offer to design AND code are jacks of all trades and masters of none.

Good point!
 

unjung

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2008
Messages
6,569
Reaction score
14
Give us your URL so we can tell you if you're getting what you're paying for...
 

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
1,989
Reaction score
20
Yes. For most choices, you get a flakey web designer that never gets back to you or a big corporatey company that is so rigid you can't get anything done cheaply!
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 119 15.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 9.1%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.3%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,684
Messages
9,222,143
Members
193,593
Latest member
jamesbuttler
Top