1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are we Ubersexuals? Gentlemen? Sartorialists?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Jul 28, 2006.

1. tbabes

tbabes Senior member

I am a man, and will resist the temptation to to categorize myself much further! [​IMG]

2. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Bono is a boob. Labels are lame.

3. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

Keep in mind, I didn't write this, it was copy paste from urban dictionary, as I stated, I don't agree. with alot of it.
    I know; I wasn't criticizing you, just the article.

4. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is an uebersexual someone who has an extra Y chromosome?

What kind of fucking moron would search for a label for himself after high school?

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Is an uebersexual someone who has an extra Y chromosome?

What kind of fucking moron would search for a label for himself after high school?

Am I to assume that you also are in the third group [​IMG]

6. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

This whole ubersexual (BTW, how does one create umlauts in HTML?) conversation was started by the book The Future of Men. The authors are marketing trendspotting wizards that were among the first to commodify the recent trend of men's enhanced consciousness toward appearance, i.e. metrosexual behavior. They coined the term ubersexual in their book and identified archtypes like Trump and Schwarzenegger. We have to be able to give everything/phenomenon/trend a name. It basically calls for some middle ground of old-school macho guy and modern sensitive male. I think it's a load of shit, because I've known men who primp and dress with the best of them, but would scratch and spit just as easily. This is a gross over-simplification, but you get my point.

I heard Bono speak back in February. Is he the ultimate ubersexual? Who cares? He's passionate and eloquent and witty but lousy dresser (jacket sleeve sat in his palms, shirt could have fit better). Isn't that what we care about here? And I like Sartorialist, but I think it's taken.

7. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

Bono dresses like a wanker.

Why add the "-sexual" suffix to the label? I'm just a bloke who likes to dress well.

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Judging from your tone, LD, can I conclude that you are in the third group [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

The more global issue is that there seems to be enough doubt about the roles and role models of and for men in American, Canadian (as well as British?) society.

I rarely get this problem. Probably, ironically I know, because I never discuss clothes with people, except a select few close friends who also like clothes. With the average American man theyre happy to discuss clothes to a certain level, but if you exhibit too much knowledge or it goes to a deeper level, the relationship changes so that they either think you know too much or youre a resource for places to buy things. neither of which sits well with me.

What's funny is when I exhibit any knowledge of clothes, it's like Im "outed" and a friend's gf claimed I was "such a metro sexual", not necessarily based on seeing me well dressed but that id actually discussed what article of clothing would go with what. I think it's always been like this though. In Britain, where they make some of the best clothes, shoes, materials and jewelry for men, isnt it very "old boy" to buy nice thing sna dthen act like you just dont care?

My point is that it isnt the wearing of nice clothes that runs you into trouble, or even the preoccupation with nice clothes, it's letting others know you care, or think about them or groom yourself too much.