• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are we Ubersexuals? Gentlemen? Sartorialists?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting how if a man dresses well they have to put a sexual orientation question along with it?
It would seem in today's society the idea of a man dressing well has the unmasculine undertone amongst a large segment of society.
In many previous cultures this was the opposite, so how has this come to be? And what is this need to classify?

I'm thinking this may be an appropriate term:
From Urban dictionary:

A male who is similar to a metrosexual but displays the traditional manly qualities such as confidence, strength, and class - leaving no doubt as to his sexual orientation

Bono is the world's leading ubersexual.

2. Ubersexual 63 up, 19 down

übersexuals
Basically it is metro-sexuality for the noughties (2000-2009). MetroSexual are switching to a new era, and other non-metros are joining too The descriptor 'uber' was chosen because in German it means the best, the
greatest, super, or above. Übersexuals are the most attractive (not just physically), most dynamic, and most compelling men of their generations. They are confident, masculine, stylish, and committed to uncompromising quality in all areas of life. Übersexuals also have depth, subtlety and individuality. The übersexuals knows the difference between right and wrong and will make the right decision regardless of what others around him may think;
Since Metro-sexual has peaked during the Sex and the City era it is fading away (only 2 years in the USA and 10 years in Europe) and bringing new lingo into play. Metro-Sexuals do not want to be known as conceited, arrogant, or full or themselves. (because they are not)
If Metro-Sexual is a little bit too self indulging, the term übersexuals, which is a male who is similar to a metro-sexual but has the traditional manly qualities such as confidence, strength, and class.
An übersexuals is a manly man who displays all the good qualities associated with the gender without giving into the negative stereotypes such as chauvinism, emotional unavailability and a brain only filled with sports stats, beer and burgers. Compared with the metrosexual, the übersexual is more into relationships than self. It is a masculinity that combines the best of traditional manliness (strength, honor, character) with positive traits traditionally associated with females such as nurturance, communicativeness, and co-operation.
He merely is a gentleman in all manners of the definition. A ubersexual is a man that knows masculinity is not about being rude and dirty, but being a well dressed, well groomed gentleman. Also known for their cunnilingus skills, but both meanings of course...many languages, and giving pleasure with the tongue. Ubersexuals make the best boyfriends ever. They really know how to take care of themselves and their Girl friend.

Here are six quick and easy ways to tell the difference between being ubersexual and metrosexual:

1. Both are passionate, but the ubersexual is passionate about causes and principles.

2. The ubersexual spends more time grooming his mind than his hair.

3. Both treat and respect women as equals, but the ubersexual considers other men, and women, his best friends.

4. The ubersexual is more sensual and not at all self-conscious. He doesn't need other people to tell him he's sexy.

5. The metrosexual gets his design tips from the Fab Five, the design gurus from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Ubersexuals get their ideas from travels and interest in art and culture.

6. The ubersexual knows the difference between right and wrong and will make the right decision regardless of what others around him may think. The metrosexual knows the difference between toner and exfoliant.

The current icon of Ãœbersexuals is Bono. He's global, socially aware, confident, and compassionate, and he commands a huge base of followers who are fans of his music and his humanitarianism. Other notable ubersexuals are Bill Clinton, George Clooney, Jon Stewart, Pierce Brosnan, Donald Trump, and Ewan McGregor.

tags mollygirl cunnilingus übersexuals communicativeness nurturance
by Ryan J Wegner Green Bay Wisconsin Nov 5, 2005 email it
3. Ubersexual 56 up, 33 down

A ubersexual is a straight guy similar to a metrosexual but displays the atributes of a definently striaght guy so that there is no question about his sexuality.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
I find it interesting how if a man dresses well they have to put a sexual orientation question along with it?
It would seem in today's society the idea of a man dressing well has the unmasculine undertone amongst a large segment of society.
In many previous cultures this was the opposite, so how has this come to be? And what is this need to classify?

I'm thinking this may be an appropriate term:
From Urban dictionary:

A male who is similar to a metrosexual but displays the traditional manly qualities such as confidence, strength, and class - leaving no doubt as to his sexual orientation

Bono is the world's leading ubersexual.

2. Ubersexual 63 up, 19 down

übersexuals
Basically it is metro-sexuality for the noughties (2000-2009). MetroSexual are switching to a new era, and other non-metros are joining too The descriptor 'uber' was chosen because in German it means the best, the
greatest, super, or above. Übersexuals are the most attractive (not just physically), most dynamic, and most compelling men of their generations. They are confident, masculine, stylish, and committed to uncompromising quality in all areas of life. Übersexuals also have depth, subtlety and individuality. The übersexuals knows the difference between right and wrong and will make the right decision regardless of what others around him may think;
Since Metro-sexual has peaked during the Sex and the City era it is fading away (only 2 years in the USA and 10 years in Europe) and bringing new lingo into play. Metro-Sexuals do not want to be known as conceited, arrogant, or full or themselves. (because they are not)
If Metro-Sexual is a little bit too self indulging, the term übersexuals, which is a male who is similar to a metro-sexual but has the traditional manly qualities such as confidence, strength, and class.
An übersexuals is a manly man who displays all the good qualities associated with the gender without giving into the negative stereotypes such as chauvinism, emotional unavailability and a brain only filled with sports stats, beer and burgers. Compared with the metrosexual, the übersexual is more into relationships than self. It is a masculinity that combines the best of traditional manliness (strength, honor, character) with positive traits traditionally associated with females such as nurturance, communicativeness, and co-operation.
He merely is a gentleman in all manners of the definition. A ubersexual is a man that knows masculinity is not about being rude and dirty, but being a well dressed, well groomed gentleman. Also known for their cunnilingus skills, but both meanings of course...many languages, and giving pleasure with the tongue. Ubersexuals make the best boyfriends ever. They really know how to take care of themselves and their Girl friend.

Here are six quick and easy ways to tell the difference between being ubersexual and metrosexual:

1. Both are passionate, but the ubersexual is passionate about causes and principles.

2. The ubersexual spends more time grooming his mind than his hair.

3. Both treat and respect women as equals, but the ubersexual considers other men, and women, his best friends.

4. The ubersexual is more sensual and not at all self-conscious. He doesn't need other people to tell him he's sexy.

5. The metrosexual gets his design tips from the Fab Five, the design gurus from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Ubersexuals get their ideas from travels and interest in art and culture.

6. The ubersexual knows the difference between right and wrong and will make the right decision regardless of what others around him may think. The metrosexual knows the difference between toner and exfoliant.

The current icon of Ãœbersexuals is Bono. He's global, socially aware, confident, and compassionate, and he commands a huge base of followers who are fans of his music and his humanitarianism. Other notable ubersexuals are Bill Clinton, George Clooney, Jon Stewart, Pierce Brosnan, Donald Trump, and Ewan McGregor.

tags mollygirl cunnilingus übersexuals communicativeness nurturance
by Ryan J Wegner Green Bay Wisconsin Nov 5, 2005 email it
3. Ubersexual 56 up, 33 down

A ubersexual is a straight guy similar to a metrosexual but displays the atributes of a definently staight guy so that there is no question about his sexuality.

Huh?
So I guess the male population divides into metrosexuals, ubersexuals, and guys who perform cunnilingus poorly?

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
I don’t understand it either. Why does everything stylistically speaking need to have a sexual orientation associated with it? Men’s style is either Gay, Sort of Gay, Really Gay, or Hetero Manly. Its like people are always trying to reconcile with the fact that gay men don’t own the market on style.

Besides Bono sports a mullet so I’m not sure he’s my role model and ubersexual sounds like you cant breath too heavy without creaming your pants.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you believe one of my colleagues said I was metro when I wore a Navy sportcoat, light blue dress shirt, navy tie, tan pants and brown shoes
crazy.gif
That's about as trad Italian as you can get, our society is so bizarre at times. Then again, his idea of a night out is a tractor pull, olive garden and wrestling.
wink.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
Would you believe one of my colleagues said I was metro when I wore a Navy sportcoat, light blue dress shirt, navy tie, tan pants and brown shoes
crazy.gif
That's about as trad Italian as you can get, our society is so bizarre at times. Then again, his idea of a night out is a tractor pull, olive garden and wrestling.
wink.gif

You should have slapped him and said "*****, I'm trad!"
laugh.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You should have slapped him and said "*****, I'm trad!"
laugh.gif

I doubt he'd know what trad means.
laugh.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These things are peculiarly American.

The so-called machismo of Latin cultures values dressing well; indeed, in certain styles that Americans might consider effete.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

The so-called machismo of Latin cultures values dressing well; indeed, in certain styles that Americans might consider effete.

I'm Latin and growing up I was always made to understand that in order to get the girls, one always had to be well dressed, well groomed, be able to "talk" to the ladies and be a good dancer. Growing up, I saw every male in my family exhibit these attributes.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think of Prince as ubersexual.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I think of Prince as ubersexual.

Exactly, the guy with the purple pants with the ass cut out. A feminine, almost to the point of androgyny, straight guy who wears foundation. Prince definitely creams himself when he breaths too hard, just listen to the first three seconds of "Kiss".

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

I think this has to do with the perception of gender roles in America.

manifest v

Reaction score
I like the wikipedia definition better.

The word "übersexual" (from German über = above, superior and Latin sexus = gender) is a neologism for a patriarchal conception of masculinity. It is a variant of metrosexual, in that the male is "refined", but contains more of an implication of confidence and traditional notions of manhood than the former term. However the authors of the book, Future of Men, who coined the term "übersexuality" argue that the übersexual is not derivative of the metrosexual man. The future of men, proclaim the authors, is "not to be found in the primped and waxed boy who wowed the world with his nuanced knowledge of tweezers and exfoliating creams. Men, at the end of the day, will have to rely on their intellect and their passion, their erudition and professional success, to be acknowledged and idealised in contemporary society. Called the 'übersexual'—a degree of greatness and perfection, an acknowledgment that this is an evolved species of man—he is so perfect as to leave little margin for error and fallacy."
I definitely like that it identifies ubersexuality as coming from paternal values. Freakin' paternal values. I mean, I like that it gives us straight guys who like the idea of class, wit and subtlety our claim to manhood-heterosexuality back, but it makes me wonder if this also reinforces our strict definitions of sexuality and it's ties to traditional gender norms/stereotypes.

funk_soul_brother

Reaction score
Judging by their own definition, an "Ubersexual" should most certainly condemn the idea that all the world's men can be squished into such absurd categories.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well there's an glaring anomaly here: to put all this care and consideration into aesthetics, character and sartorial standards only to have a word like "UBER" attached to the front end. The word sounds like some kind of respitory discharge...

Even if you deny any allegiance to the metro sexual camp, they got the better of the two labels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads