• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are we snobs?

BigHandMan

Reaction score
After my wife forced me to watch the end of "Brothers and Sisters" on Tivo last night, I managed to wrest control of the remote back from her (don't ask) and watch about 20 minutes of the MNF game. Jack Del Rio was wearing a suit.

The suit appeared to be black
devil.gif
The fit was pretty awful and the shirt and tie were generally uninspired. I thought he looked terrible and made observations as such out loud.

My wife responded by calling me a snob. The horror! And to rub it in, she added "... and look honey, he's not even wearing a pocket square!" (She was right... he wasn't).
smile.gif

So... questions:

1. Are we snobs? I certainly don't think so. I'd like to think we simply have high standards and appreciate things like quality and tradition. Thoughts?

2. Do your wives/girlfriends/partners/significant others get on you about your obsession with style?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I don't know if *we're* snobs as a forum collective...

I know that *I* am, within the context of my aesthetics towards those who seem to be making an attempt at a sartorial statement and are, in all probability, failing. and my fiancee wouldnt have it any other way

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigHandMan
After my wife forced me to watch the end of "Brothers and Sisters" on Tivo last night, I managed to wrest control of the remote back from her (don't ask) and watch about 20 minutes of the MNF game. Jack Del Rio was wearing a suit.

The suit appeared to be black
devil.gif
The fit was pretty awful and the shirt and tie were generally uninspired. I thought he looked terrible and made observations as such out loud.

My wife responded by calling me a snob. The horror! And to rub it in, she added "... and look honey, he's not even wearing a pocket square!" (She was right... he wasn't).
smile.gif

So... questions:

1. Are we snobs? I certainly don't think so. I'd like to think we simply have high standards and appreciate things like quality and tradition. Thoughts?

2. Do your wives/girlfriends/partners/significant others get on you about your obsession with style?

1 .Yes, I'm a snob.
2. Yes

Keep in mind that his suit was made by Reebok, the sneaker company, so fit, fabric etc was probably atrocious. At least give him credit for pushing the NFL for real suits for coaches rather than that logo'd, licensed NFL crap that they are forced to wear.

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Keep in mind that his suit was made by Reebok, the sneaker company, so fit, fabric etc was probably atrocious.

Really? Well, that explains a lot.

Originally Posted by edmorel
At least give him credit for pushing the NFL for real suits for coaches rather than that logo'd, licensed NFL crap that they are forced to wear.

Fair enough. I do give guys like him and Mike Nolan credit for pushing the NFL for suits. I'm tired of seeing guys like Bill Belichick and Andy Reid look absolutely comical in their officially licensed garb.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I dont think most forumites are in a position to be 'snobs' per se.....there's a lot of folks who now know about "vass/edward green/borrelli/etcetcetc" and probably own it as well, but having this 'intellectual' style that is based on having the highest end goods isnt the same as having a 'personal' style that goes beyond owning top dollar items and indulging in subjective forum nuances like the evils of black suits/shoes.

BigHandMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I dont think most forumites are in a position to be 'snobs' per se.....there's a lot of folks who now know about "vass/edward green/borrelli/etcetcetc" and probably own it as well, but having this 'intellectual' style that is based on having the highest end goods isnt the same as having a 'personal' style that goes beyond owning top dollar items and indulging in subjective forum nuances like the evils of black suits/shoes.
Agreed. While I don't own a single item that you'd see in other posts as being in the "top tier" of manufacturers, I do like to think that I have a strong sense of personal style that, while my own, is duly influenced by tradition, value and good sense.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose in the third sense that my Webster's New Collegiate defines the term some of us may qualify: "one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste."

On the other hand, I think all of us would consider it a better world if more men began to dress decently, with taste and refinement. I would much rather see a man dressed well, even better than myself, so that I could look on him with admiration and possibly find points to emulate, rather to have my eyes bombarded, as they constantly are, with an incessant stream of slobs!

"Better snob than slob" might be our rejoinder.

I know my critiques of the men's attire at the Academy Awards and similar events just drive my wife to fury!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the real world, I really don't care what other people are wearing. In fact, I almost never comment on anybody being dressed bad. If I ever comment on how someone's dressed (which is rare), it's because they are wearing something that looks good, but is out of the ordinary.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I am a snob. I don't know about you.
2. My wife encourages my vanity, but when the snobbery is directed at others her usual response is "Not everyone has as good of taste as you honey." At which point I grumble and agree. Sometimes I think she's telling me to shut up. Other times I think she's just agreeing with me.

b

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
In the real world, I really don't care what other people are wearing. In fact, I almost never comment on anybody being dressed bad. If I ever comment on how someone's dressed (which is rare), it's because they are wearing something that looks good, but is out of the ordinary.
+1 It is a hobby for me to dress well, not to care about how other people dress. My wife like my hobby and encourages it, but probably would think it odd if I took up the second one.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I suppose in the third sense that my Webster's New Collegiate defines the term some of us may qualify: "one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste."
I believe we all have more knowledge than we can afford: I'm not sure I'd call it snobbery, but it's not a blissful position.
confused.gif

Rolo

Reaction score
To quote Yves Saint Laurent:

"We must never confuse elegance with snobbery."

and Cary Grant:

"Ah, beware of snobbery; it is the unwelcome recognition of one's own past failings."

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My avatar, the suicide aesthete, Philippe Jullian, wrote a book called "The Snob-Spotter’s Guide" where he skwered the upper-class with witty illustrations and snide commentary.

It's all in good and bitter fun.

As for dressing well, it should be, as that awful word goes, a "lifestyle".

argoth

Reaction score
1. Elitist, exclusive, arrogant, condescending: justified.
laugh.gif
Snobbish? Only in the presence of lessers.
laugh.gif
Seriously though, I may be all those things, but only intellectually. I don't vocalize any of my concerns or disapprobation, as I consider that bad taste. 2. My girlfriend's taste (or lack there of) frightens me. Dressing well is merely representative of an interest in self cultivation to me. Arg

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I've been accused of being a snob more times than I can count, but not necessarily about sartorial matters; just in general.

I try not to be snobbish about dress, but rather pass on my knowledge. I did get pretty damned disgusted with the friend who asked me to steer him in the direction of nice shirts, and after telling him about several decent makers who would make him custom shirts at reasonable prices -- including Jantzen -- he rejected them all out of hand because none of them offered custom shirts in no-iron fabrics. His being too lazy to iron guides his sartorial decisions. That's when I gave up and refused to offer him any more advice (in spite of his wife's importunities).

*****cat always eggs me on to spend about double my budget. She's a veteran shopper, but gets quite weary of the amount of time I subject her to in various high-end clothing shops.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka