• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are We Over Analyzing Clothing and Dress?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think what's missing in this discussion is the personality of the person wearing the outfit.
While I understand that NORE's ensemble isn't for most people, and certainly not my cup of tea, I can see how it would work for someone who likes bold colors and likes attention. (Kinda like Ozwald Boteng stuff.)
I prefer people pushing boundaries of style, even if it's not something I like, simply for the variety. Grays and blues on everyone gets boring.

Okay, but let's be clear. Even if you are into "pushing boundaries," this outfit is a fail. Playing the connect-the-two-neon-colors between your tie, pocket square, and shirt is absolutely mindless work.

Last edited:

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, but let's be clear. Even if you are into "pushing boundaries," this outfit is a fail. Playing the connect-the-two-neon-colors between your tie, pocket square, and shirt is absolutely mindless work.

I concede the matchy-matchy look is pure cheese. But I commend the attempt at using pink and lime green in a non-subtle manner is what I am saying.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I concede the matchy-matchy look is pure cheese. But I commend the attempt at using pink and lime green in a non-subtle manner is what I am saying.

Let's explore this. Why is it commendable to do something like this in an unsubtle manner? It seems to me, it is very easy to be unsubtle in obnoxious, crass ways. Nobody ever commends someone for being rude and grating in their manners. Why is this different? It seems to be the quality of purpose is at least as important as audacity.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What if I said they all were made by a tailor? A tailor everyone here seems to love? And this getup was his idea? What then?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's explore this. Why is it commendable to do something like this in an unsubtle manner? It seems to me, it is very easy to be unsubtle in obnoxious, crass ways. Nobody ever commends someone for being rude and grating in their manners. Why is this different? It seems to be the quality of purpose is at least as important as audacity.

See, I think this is what I'm getting at. What is crass, obnoxious or rude about my fit. How am I being rude, specifically? To whom? Am I forcing someone else to wear this? No, I am wearing it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What if I said they all were made by a tailor? A tailor everyone here seems to love? And this getup was his idea? What then?

No difference. Except, I'd say your tailor is tasteless.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate these "discussions" because nothing is being discussed, its just people talking over each other.

NORE, look at it this way. Why did you treat ishii the way you did in the shoe Appreciation threak? Why do you want him to give in to your concept of classic shoes? Do you think you have better taste then him in shoes? I

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

See, I think this is what I'm getting at. What is crass, obnoxious or rude about my fit. How am I being rude, specifically? To whom? Am I forcing someone else to wear this? No, I am wearing it.

Neon colors are inherently visually loud. Think about the purposes they are usually assigned to.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This topic bleeds into personal preference as I am the type of person that enjoys seeing a variety of styles and things in general.

I am not a goth or emo or country or thug. But when I see these sub-cultures immersed in their own defined style, I enjoy the fact that they're around. I would never dream of wearing all black, skinny jeans, cowboy hats, large baggy pants sagging behind ******, but every now and then, within each sub-culture, there are certain folks who have refined that particular look, and I enjoy encountering this.

You can call their styles rude or grating and pass any judgement you want. I just simply like the variety for the sake of diversity. Also, one person's rude may be considered assertive and honest to another. Some days, certain people might want to feel bold and want attention. What's wrong with that?

In the world of suits and button down shirts, the range of colors and styles tend to converge and it's refreshing to see something new. Most of the time it doesn't work but when something does work that's totally out there, I find that helps me expand my comfort zone.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate these "discussions" because nothing is being discussed, its just people talking over each other.
NORE, look at it this way. Why did you treat ishii the way you did in the shoe Appreciation threak? Why do you want him to give in to your concept of classic shoes? Do you think you have better taste then him in shoes? I

I beg to differ. We are gaining ground even if on a subliminal level.

To address your question, he constantly posts pics of outdated and many times [what I think are] ugly shoes. Some of his stuff I actually like. And, to go off a bit, I realize that whatever brings more page views, this forum will be for. It seemed like it was different before but I could be wrong. This is why I advocate the anonymous thumbs down button.

Now, then. I have come to appreciate that some people like those styles so I have let off. Not because of the TOs but because I see that one man's trash is another man's treasure. I was shocked to see Shikar giving him kudos, for instance. At least I can admit to that. You and your flunkies here can't admit that you dress boring. No square? Navy socks? You know I like you Ed, and you are one of the three forum members I've ever supported. You more so because I did so IRL. But c'mon. You have to see what I'm trying to say. What I've been trying to say for 5+ years. Trying to stop the newbs from being brainwashed.

Look at it this way: at one time you used to wear squares, right? Then you decided, you were averse to squares. OK, your opinion. But you don't try to tell forum members that because they wear squares they are peacocks, right? (answer honestly, I know what you look like).

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to post a pic of themselves that was either ragged on by members here or that you knew going in was 'out there'? I would appreciate it and I thing we'd all benefit from continuing this discussion.

I could be wrong but I think this forum was born on the back of an, I don't need to do what they say I should do mentality.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To be clear, I was using rudeness in manners as an analogy to being visually grating. I was not criticizing NORE's outfit for itself being socially rude.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not really sure what your post to me means. I'm the first one that admits to dressing boring. I rarely if ever tell people to stop dressing like they do and dress like me. Occasionally I tell people I don't like something but my solution is never to simply dress like me.

My point is you found isshi's shoes in bad taste, the same way foo finds your outfit in bad taste. How many posts can you guys go back and forth on discussing that? You ask him what he would fix when you know his tastes are 180 degrees from yours. And then you take the position that he just wants to create SF clones :confused:

These threads always degrade into a Team Jacob versus Team Edward where people come out of the woodwork and start taking personal shots, not sure how that helps the forum.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be clear, I was using rudeness in manners as an analogy to being visually grating. I was not criticizing NORE's outfit for itself being socially rude.

Thanks for saying that. Can you see any occurrence where my fit would be acceptable?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not really sure what your post to me means. I'm the first one that admits to dressing boring. I rarely if ever tell people to stop dressing like they do and dress like me. Occasionally I tell people I don't like something but my solution is never to simply dress like me.
My point is you found isshi's shoes in bad taste, the same way foo finds your outfit in bad taste. How many posts can you guys go back and forth on discussing that? You ask him what he would fix when you know his tastes are 180 degrees from yours. And then you take the position that he just wants to create SF clones :confused:
These threads always degrade into a Team Jacob versus Team Edward where people come out of the woodwork and start taking personal shots, not sure how that helps the forum.

Not sure about the Jacob vs Edward analogy but there is definitely something to be discussed here. If you can't see that I can respect that. The problem is that you guys have impacted those who would otherwise support me and my position in such a negative way here that they are afraid to come out. If this thread goes down, that just illustrates my point. This is at the heart of my OP.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads