Are We Over Analyzing Clothing and Dress?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NORE, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

Light blue shirt, maroon grenadine, and almost any PS you like, though preferably white, in a puff fold.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I have no idea what you're talking about with this Devil comment and how it relates to groupthink. Maybe there's a biblical reference or an inside joke I'm not getting. But to your suggestion that I only like things that are promoted by :foo: or Spoo or whomever, I think if you look through my posts or my tumblr you'll find that's definitely not the case. I don't dislike the pic you posted because I've been brainwashed by SF, I dislike it because I think it looks terrible. I've never worn or admired anything like it, either before or after I joined SF. Now, as you said, that's just my opinion, and as I said already, I encourage you to disregard it if you find it unhelpful and enjoy your wardrobe.

My comment about what you should have worn was in response to your specific question about what should be changed. I understand it was directed at :foo:, so I apologized for giving my own answer at the start of my post, but it doesn't seem totally out of line to me.

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

Let me put this into terms you perhaps can relate to: your recent thread re casual black tie. Some may say you are a fool. Some may say it has been and is being done. Some may say you are the man. But do those comments stop or propel you? What made you think of that? WTF are you really trying to do?

You are seemingly trying to sting me up in my thread but in your own thread you are doing virtually the same thing. Don't get the fact that you have been DH'ed twisted, the dudes who run this don't know WTF they're doing-they don't spend enough time here anymore. You got DH'ed because someone said they admired something you did? Then you let them down by starting a DT. I think that is obvious. Now, go sit down, son. Seriously.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  4. NORE

NORE Senior member

I wore it to worship on Sunday as I alluded to earlier.

5. NORE

NORE Senior member

Boom. My point exactly. Thanks.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

First - tie and walls are too matchy-matchy. :)

Second (and more honest thoughts) - to me clothing is supposed to be a bit careless and reckless while still being presentable for most reasonable occasions. It's a bit peacockish (and perhaps unmanly) to care too much or put too much effort into choosing your day's clothing. Women stand in front of the closet and care, men have more important things to care about. Hence, the staples - blue, grey, white, etc - everything goes together, it's versatile, and I can get away with the old line "Oh, this old thing? I just pulled it together" - and have it sound reasonable. Your pictured ensemble doesn't pass that test.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: I have a purple box plaid shirt. I love the shirt, but it goes with very few ties. I have to carefully pick the tie to go with it, and I certainly don't want a blue/navy jacket. In other words, I have to manufacture a look and it only works within a narrow band of options. Too much work.

So there's my thoughts.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Well, as I'm being directed by you to leave your thread, this will be my last post. But just to clarify, in my own thread, I think I explained the idea of the thread, and have been receptive to criticism. It's not a thread about how awesome I am, it's a thread about finding things to wear for a specific situation. The only post I made in that thread that could be at all perceived as antagonistic towards you was correcting something you said about what I was wearing that I think is clearly, objectively and historically, incorrect. I guess I did it somewhat snarkily, but if I don't think it's "stinging you up".

Finally, I am not your son. So please don't call me or anyone else that in a condescending tone. I don't see why you have to get into such a pissing contest about everything. But anyway, I am sorry for derailing your thread, I hope it gets back to your original intent for it.

8. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

whnay and I are beating the same drum. but:

- if this is work clothing in a suit-required environment, it does not succeed; it is far too loud and, unlike the usual badly-dressed suit wearers in life, the presence of the PS in particular suggests it is deliberate rather than accidental;

- if it is for an environment where a suit is not required, er, why?;

- it breaches recommended norms on colour and pattern mixing.

I'm trying not to get personal or snarky, but it seems to say "look at me", while setting aside the likely reaction of those that do.

9. NORE

NORE Senior member

I take exception to your comparing my fit to that of a woman. I get dressed in 5 minutes-literally. I go to the closet and pull out what I will wear in an almost instantaneous fashion. Now I have been married twice my current is 11 years, my former 7-8 years and I have been with many women. I always hung with the "fly girls" even if dudes just thought I was gay. But trust me on this, I don't know where you live but in NYC the game is different. That's primarily why I dislike the paths other NYC members have takes on my fits; Foo with the OneShoe, Manton with his perpetual navy suits (every time I saw him IRL), gdl leans more toward my spectrum. But still in all, you have to take everything into context. I don't know where you're from but in NYC the navy grenadine is pain boring. Chicks don't dig that. Maybe I'm too hip for the stodgy crowd here but don't go forcing that on the young up-and-comings. That's all I'm saying.

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

Perhaps you can use you new-found power to edit your derailment posts. That is what is was meant for, correct?

11. NORE

NORE Senior member

I stated a few times when and where I wore this. Please re-read.

12. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

I don't think it is. If you work around people who run countries, or SWFs, or businesses bigger than countries, or really succesful lawyers, or whatever, you don't wear that stuff. It's all black shoes and grey/navy SB suits and white shirts and sober ties. You fit in. "SF groupthink" is irrelevant, because there is an unwriten dress code. The unwritten dress code is neither wrong nor right: it is a fact. So whnay's challenge stands. Where would you wear that outfit? (And why?)

13. NORE

NORE Senior member

But I don't work there. I do what I want. Don't you wish you could do that?

And I have already answered whnay's question if you or he cared to read the thread.

Thx for contributing.

14. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Why post an outfit like that which will obviously receive very polarized comments and then be so aggro with everyone who replies?

If it was possible to make a negative amount of sense, that's what this would make ...

15. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

I think the more interesting discussion isn't so much "do I believe in The Rules," as it is "Am I a style absolutist or a style relativist?" In other words, do I believe in a universally applicable set of capital-C Correct attire for every situation, regardless of geography, culture, climate, age, or context? Or do I believe that every man should adapt and adopt his own rules to his circumstances?

IMO, neither of these options is the "to hell with the rules, I'mma do me!" mentality. Rather, both approaches accept that every man should have a code of some sort. The first approach adheres to a code laid out by tradition, much of which has an Anglo-American antecedent. The second approach generally reckons with the first approach, but makes allowances and substitutions in a consistent and coherent way.

This is the Jeeves and Wooster dilemma, if you will. The Wooster path is ostensibly more creative, but it is fraught with more danger.