Are We Over Analyzing Clothing and Dress?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NORE, Aug 1, 2012.

1. NORE

NORE Senior member

I appreciate this. Many folks don't get the way you dress but your pics, what with the one eye in the camera viewfinder et.al. lends a certain charm to your photos. Some will pick up on that and even try to emulate the radiance you are giving off, even if just copying what you are wearing. I believe, however, that the person that exudes the most confidence, no matter what they are wearing, wins. Such may be true in your case. Such may also be true in my case. Horses for courses. But please don't tell me that just because you disagree with my style or choices makes me ugly as sin or worse. Please don't tell me I need a navy or brown grenadine tie and a TV-folded square. You could be further from the truth.

2. NORE

NORE Senior member

What I took from this is: you should have worn a light blue or white shirt, with a navy or brown grenadine tie and a TV-folded square.

I take it that you are a reasonably intelligent individual so I trust you know what I mean and hope you will step out of your realm for a sec and see what you said, specifically: "The short of it is that they are ugly according to the "rules" of classic dress".

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

3. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

NORE I'm curious - where would you wear something like that?

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I think I said this to you in another thread but maybe bears repeating just to emphasize my view towards this...if you set up your own aesthetic criteria, then clearly you can satisfy them. If that's what appeals to you, enjoy it! There's no reason to get upset because some guys on the internet, or even the entirety of Western civilization, think you dress like a clown. But if you really like the fit you posted in this thread, and you have no desire to take part in the tradition of classic menswear, then our tastes are just so different that there's really not a whole lot useful that we can say to each other. But I wish you well and hope you enjoy wearing your favorite items.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

No, I didn't say that. I said those are the sorts of things you should build a wardrobe out of. The outfit is merely emblematic of a deeper problem. I tried to address the latter.

Murder is against the the rules, too. That doesn't mean there aren't fundamentally good reasons to oppose murder.

I explained why the outfit doesn't work without reference to the "rules" or classic dress. That was the whole paragraph of text you left out after the sentence you quoted.

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

Simple. Because I like it and think it looks good. I know all of the hallmarks of a well made product and all of what I wore had those. I received many compliments. But I understand the hate and what it stems from.

7. gooter

gooter Senior member

I dont ask many questions, and I certainly wont post any pictures. Why? Because there are so many negative comments that come along with asking for help on here.

8. NORE

NORE Senior member

Actually, even though I could care less of what the other man thinks of me (it's all about chicks, amirite) don't get it twisted. I am not upset because someone said what I wore sucks. I get alarmed when those same members perpetuate groupthink on unknowing members and sculpt the way they think they should dress. Similar to your, "you should have worn a navy or brown grenadine" comment. That is obv groupthink there. No question. Its like what the Devil did. Stop it.

If a dude is happy with what he's wearing and proudly posts pics, let him be. If he is asking for a critique or suggestions, then feel free to lay into him. Understand?

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Did you find my feedback for NORE too negative to be helpful?

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

Bingo. If you don't wear a navy or brown grenadine, you are banished from the cool kid's table. I say F them. I'm way cooler than them. Ask me how I know.

11. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

whnay hit this on the head for me. What is this for? A nightclub for the colour-blind? The thing I don't really understand on the internet called something like "Pity Homo" (yes, I know what it is, sort of, but this is is my English satire, not homophobia, or even pittiphobia, guys, chillax)? Some kind of experimental sartorial therapy group meeting?

And, to be clear, I like a touch of boldness and experimentation. But this just has too much going on. It is bold to the point of recklessness. Wind it in 20% and it becomes interesting.

12. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I don't mean to say this specifically as a way of invalidating the support for your outfit, but I think in general number of compliments is a poor barometer of the level of taste displayed in a given outfit.

13. NORE

NORE Senior member

So please, dress me according to the rules. Same suit, but you choose everything else.

14. NORE

NORE Senior member

Please extrapolate on your observation.

15. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

You didn't answer my simple question. Where did you wear this, as in, where did walk about with this rig on? Did you wear it to work? If so, what type of establishment? Did you wear it on the weekend? If so, for what purpose?