• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are We Over Analyzing Clothing and Dress?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Boom.

Oh for the the love of god. You look like the Joker, or a joker. I dunno. Doesn't matter either way. Terrible or terrible.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh my god.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NORE,

you are a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale forum, with multiple clones and copycat dressers.

While I personally would not choose to wear the bright color combos you so thoroughly enjoy, I applaud your efforts. :fistbump:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My biggest problem with this outfit is the shirt collar. The widespread cutaway collar with all that white band showing under the tie, coupled with the fine white stripes on the mauve-y ground, plus what may just be an optical illusion but sort of a very cute little tie knot, is just too feminine.

The jacket also looks like it doesn't fit all that well. Looks sort of boxy, which is doubly incongruous given what's going on behind it.

Anyways, that's one stupid ass critique.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At least you take garish and obnoxious and go the full 10 yards. I do not like any of what you've posted and I like this one the least. I don't like those colors under any condition, not to mention they look pretty bad against most caucasian complexions regardless of anything else.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NORE,
you are a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale forum, with multiple clones and copycat dressers.
While I personally would not choose to wear the bright color combos you so thoroughly enjoy, I applaud your efforts. :fistbump:

Thanks, bro.

bluesman528

Reaction score

I don't like those colors under any condition, not to mention they look pretty bad against most caucasian complexions regardless of anything else.

I think a point not yet mentioned in this thread is that NORE does have a darker complexion. And that gives him more leeway to experiment with louder color contrasts. I do not say that I like what I'm seeing here, it looks for me too much like "Hey folks, I'm there!!!" posing that a self-confident man rarely needs to get noticed in public. But for the sake of integrating a neon-green tie into an outfit he is an example where it may look good when done carefully.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I think a point not yet mentioned in this thread is that NORE does have a darker complexion. And that gives him more leeway to experiment with louder color contrasts. I do not say that I like what I'm seeing here, it looks for me too much like "Hey folks, I'm there!!!" posing that a self-confident man rarely needs to get noticed in public. But for the sake of integrating a neon-green tie into an outfit he is an example where it may look good when done carefully.

I agree that his skin color and even cultural associations matter. However to me wearing a colourful, patterned shirt and going tieless is different than wearing some sort of business getup in candyland thing. I'd like it a lot better if he had been wearing the same grey suit and some purposefully gaudy colourful shirt with a few buttons undone and more casual shoes.

badrobot

Reaction score
I mean, c'mon. Take a look at some of the threads recently started. Some folks are coming here with genuine questions and we are still cramming these stupid 'rules' down their throats. Now I will admit, some people have no clue but c'mon, son. Some of the stuff I've read here is just ridiculous. It seems like the members people tend to worship on here are actually the most 'safe' dressers which equally makes them boring.
I say live a little. Live a lot! If what you put on makes you feel good then go out feeling good and knowing that you look good. I am of the belief that a person wearing a burlap sack that exudes confidence will always look better than a bespoke fitted dude with no panache.
Check it, while I am aware that many of you would never wear this I posted this in a thread and it was moderated out:

Why? Probably because of the colors. But I felt [and know I looked] like a boss. Now I'm not mad, not everyone wants do this or some of the other stuff I do, but I still say try something different. Live a little.
If things keep on the way they are going, all of the listeners will be wearing navy or gray suits with white or light blue shirts, solid navy or brown ties, navy socks, gunboats and a TV fold. C'mon, son. C'mon Styleforum. Where's the style?

It takes a certain personality to be able to wear a lime green tie, and wear it in a meeting, or when meeting importnt clients.

Mariooo

Reaction score

It takes a certain personality to be able to wear a lime green tie, and wear it in a meeting, or when meeting importnt clients.

I've seen politicians with ties in all kinds of ridiculous colors (incl. lime green) and ill-fitting suits etc. :confused:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you. Those who strictly abide by the rules are admitting to a lack thereof. I miss Vox Barberra.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What? That's idiotic* absurd** a joke*** ridiculous. It takes a certain personality to do anything. More vacuous English.

* Offensive to idiots.
** Offensive to Kierkegaard.
*** Offensive to people who tell jokes or NORE when he dresses like the Joker.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads