1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are we Grups?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by StevenRocks, Apr 4, 2006.

1. dare-

dare- Senior member

Why do people need to be labeled? This guy is just trying to coin a phrase, the next 'metrosexual.' Please, lets not.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

What a great read. I've been using the phrase "indie yuppie" for awhile to describe music like Postal Service, Bloc Party, Louis XIII, and even my fabled Flaming Lips. This article is accurate and awesome.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yeah, well, what about CYHSY Brian?

4. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

I think the term grup is misapplied, I thought the demographic in question has refused to become grups. Maybe I didn't understand the description of the Star Trek episode (I didn't see it.) Am I wrong?

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Yeah, well, what about CYHSY Brian?

Well, last show I went to of CYHSY it was all 14-year olds. Perhaps in NY it's the opposite, but over here I consider them more of a scene-brat band than an indie yuppie band [​IMG]

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

7. cultpop 0217

cultpop 0217 Senior member

Well, last show I went to of CYHSY it was all 14-year olds. Perhaps in NY it's the opposite, but over here I consider them more of a scene-brat band than an indie yuppie band [​IMG]

who or what is CYHSY?

edit: got it now clap your hands say yeah.

8. JAB

JAB Member

This article pretty much describes myself, my friends, and their kids. To paraphrase a line from "Fight Club", I'm a thirty-five year old boy...[​IMG]

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I am 31 and live in hoodies, tees, the occasional snap button military, or moleskin shirt, and wear jeans and sneakers every day, often with a studded Maltese Cross belt. I own several messenger bags. I work at in academia, and at Harvard to boot, which makes me a real rebel, and do fashion stuff on the side. I am married and have a seven year old stepson who dresses in sneakers, jeans or cargos, and whose favorite piece of clothing (AFAIK) is a forest green hoodie with a contrasting lining. I listen to and know one of the guys in Dashboard Confessional (well, he's a good friend of my wife's anyway), Franz Ferninand, and can tell you why I think that CYHSY sucks (mainly because they only play 2 notes. Okay, 3.)

Arghhh... my identity was solidly Gen X, and now they want me to change my label? C'mon now... [​IMG]

I'd don't think that the dress at Harvard is that conservative (unless you are faculty). The college and graduate students are much more casual in their dress. As I understand it even the elitism of Eliot House has been crushed by randomization.

On the faculty side, Marjorie Garber has been known to dress somewhat differently . . .[​IMG]

10. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

11. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Sorry to necro this thread, but thought this was interesting: http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/0...19-502-ak-0000

That article completely conflates "cognitive flexibility" and "immaturity". I'm not at all convinced that the one signifies the other, but whoever wrote the article seems to believe that it does. People may demonstrate both at certain points of development, but does that mean that in order to retain one, you have to retain the other? I don't see why it does.

12. Jetta

Jetta Well-Known Member

as LA Guy said, sounds like this guy is just trying to make a new name for Gen X. We are doing fine on our own, dont need any new labels.

13. Kid609

Kid609 Senior member

All the bands listed in the article are already old hat.

People stopped listening to Sufjan Stevens 2 years ago.

14. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

Does anyone have a copy of the original article? I'd like to read it but the link isn't working anymore.

15. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

All the bands listed in the article are already old hat. People stopped listening to Sufjan Stevens 2 years ago.
    Hahahahaha...wait...no...hahahahahaha! Wait, did Illinoise not drop just last year? Come on, now! He name drops Death Cab and you have to call out his Suf-Jeeziness? Sufjan is the only one of those artists that is actually on an indie label (his own), which is relevant if you think of all the toting of labels such as yindie and whatnot. And why would you "stop" listening to something? Do you not listen to the Beatles and Velvets because they're old-hat? Anyway, I thought this article was pretty vapid. It tries to combine an aesthetic with a feeling of persona and it just doesn't work for me. And hate to break it to you, but grups are not the new generation x. I can walk around D.C. for hours on end and will see very little of these so-called "grups". I feel as if it's a sub-sect of generation x that can garner the hipster tag, that's all. Not trying to argue or offend anyone. I just think they're trying to put a label on a generational movement that only exists in very small numbers. Maybe some of you can relate, so it's like, "Yeah, high-five man!" But you also have to realize the denizens of this board aren't the general public. What do I know though? I'm only 21, does my generation even have an arbitrary label? If it does I hope people don't lump me into it.

16. kronik

kronik Senior member

Holy CRAP that article was five times longer than it should have been.
    I thought the same thing. I read the first two pages and decided to finish it at work tomorrow. I'm 25, I don't think I can be a grup, but I undoubtedly will be. Everyone I work with is at least 10 years my senior... but bust my chops about designer jeans or nice shoes. My fiancee and I also made the decision NOT to have kids so that we can indulge and go on vacations and whatnot without worry... so I've pretty much chosen the self-centered lifestyle for the next 30 years, and I haven't a problem with it in the world. [​IMG] I will say, however, that this article doesn't fit me to a T. I don't listen to punk, I don't wear Misfits t-shirts, and I have no idea who the bands he mentioned are. I listen to underground hip-hop (socially conscious, if you will) and dress however the f I want when I'm not bound by the constricts of business casual, which may include a silk-screened t-shirt with skulls and crossbones or a tucked in polo.

17. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

My fiancee and I also made the decision NOT to have kids so that we can indulge and go on vacations and whatnot without worry... so I've pretty much chosen the self-centered lifestyle for the next 30 years, and I haven't a problem with it in the world. [​IMG]

welcome to the club. another reason why I could care less about global warming....in a perfect scenario a huge comet will hit the earth 2 days after I die. Such is the life of a hedo-existentialist.

18. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I haven't read the whole article but nothing they have stated so far fits. I hate all forms of rock be it punk or metal. I only listen to rap,reggae, r&b and jazz. I like jeans but wear khakis more and almost never wear sneakers unless playing squash or basketball. Mostly no one would ever consider me cool which most of these people seem to be or atleast are trying to be.

19. keal

keal Senior member

Since I've dived into style forums, I've started to appreciate handmade things (never really cared before) and my deep-seeded fantasy is to do something like make leather wallets or sew jeans in a tiny little shop that people from all parts of the world come to visit.

Basically, I'm becoming less and less gadget-and-lifestyle oriented. How nice it would be to ride a bicycle to my little shop, then sit around all day doing my sewing thing, and having ridiculously cool people come in to try and buy my wares. I'd have a computer to play music and chat on the forums, but that's about it. I'd be so far removed from current trends and stuff. Just all into my little denim and leather universe [​IMG]

A budding retro-craftsman wanna-be? There's gotta be a better name for it [​IMG]

Or maybe just broaden the Grups definition?

20. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Since I've dived into style forums, I've started to appreciate handmade things (never really cared before) and my deep-seeded fantasy is to do something like make leather wallets or sew jeans in a tiny little shop that people from all parts of the world come to visit.

Basically, I'm becoming less and less gadget-and-lifestyle oriented. How nice it would be to ride a bicycle to my little shop, then sit around all day doing my sewing thing, and having ridiculously cool people come in to try and buy my wares. I'd have a computer to play music and chat on the forums, but that's about it. I'd be so far removed from current trends and stuff. Just all into my little denim and leather universe [​IMG]

A budding retro-craftsman wanna-be? There's gotta be a better name for it [​IMG]

Or maybe just broaden the Grups definition?

Wow. Get out of my head.