Are we Grups?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by StevenRocks, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

2. KingKongLives

KingKongLives Active Member

i'm probably going to end up like this, or maybe i'll become more like the guys in the men's clothing forum

good read

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I am 31 and live in hoodies, tees, the occasional snap button military, or moleskin shirt, and wear jeans and sneakers every day, often with a studded Maltese Cross belt. I own several messenger bags. I work at in academia, and at Harvard to boot, which makes me a real rebel, and do fashion stuff on the side. I am married and have a seven year old stepson who dresses in sneakers, jeans or cargos, and whose favorite piece of clothing (AFAIK) is a forest green hoodie with a contrasting lining. I listen to and know one of the guys in Dashboard Confessional (well, he's a good friend of my wife's anyway), Franz Ferninand, and can tell you why I think that CYHSY sucks (mainly because they only play 2 notes. Okay, 3.) Arghhh... my identity was solidly Gen X, and now they want me to change my label? C'mon now... [​IMG]

4. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

My stroller is only $400.

5. Jen

Jen Senior member

My stroller is only $400.
    I knew it. When you posted the pic in the What are you wearing now thread, I was quite impressed by the stroller[​IMG]

6. dare-

dare- Senior member

Why do people need to be labeled? This guy is just trying to coin a phrase, the next 'metrosexual.' Please, lets not.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

What a great read. I've been using the phrase "indie yuppie" for awhile to describe music like Postal Service, Bloc Party, Louis XIII, and even my fabled Flaming Lips. This article is accurate and awesome.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Yeah, well, what about CYHSY Brian?

9. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

I think the term grup is misapplied, I thought the demographic in question has refused to become grups. Maybe I didn't understand the description of the Star Trek episode (I didn't see it.) Am I wrong?

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Yeah, well, what about CYHSY Brian?

Well, last show I went to of CYHSY it was all 14-year olds. Perhaps in NY it's the opposite, but over here I consider them more of a scene-brat band than an indie yuppie band [​IMG]

11. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Buncha old fucks... ;P [​IMG]

12. cultpop 0217

cultpop 0217 I, Manface

Well, last show I went to of CYHSY it was all 14-year olds. Perhaps in NY it's the opposite, but over here I consider them more of a scene-brat band than an indie yuppie band [​IMG]

who or what is CYHSY?

edit: got it now clap your hands say yeah.

13. JAB

JAB Member

This article pretty much describes myself, my friends, and their kids. To paraphrase a line from "Fight Club", I'm a thirty-five year old boy...[​IMG]

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I am 31 and live in hoodies, tees, the occasional snap button military, or moleskin shirt, and wear jeans and sneakers every day, often with a studded Maltese Cross belt. I own several messenger bags. I work at in academia, and at Harvard to boot, which makes me a real rebel, and do fashion stuff on the side. I am married and have a seven year old stepson who dresses in sneakers, jeans or cargos, and whose favorite piece of clothing (AFAIK) is a forest green hoodie with a contrasting lining. I listen to and know one of the guys in Dashboard Confessional (well, he's a good friend of my wife's anyway), Franz Ferninand, and can tell you why I think that CYHSY sucks (mainly because they only play 2 notes. Okay, 3.)

Arghhh... my identity was solidly Gen X, and now they want me to change my label? C'mon now... [​IMG]

I'd don't think that the dress at Harvard is that conservative (unless you are faculty). The college and graduate students are much more casual in their dress. As I understand it even the elitism of Eliot House has been crushed by randomization.

On the faculty side, Marjorie Garber has been known to dress somewhat differently . . .[​IMG]

15. Goblin

Goblin Senior member