• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are vintage Burberry trenches easily altered?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting one off eBay and then altering it to make it more fitted, and perhaps a little shorter as well.

Has anyone else tried this before, or even just altered their standard Burberry trenches? Is this easy to do, or does the material/construction somehow make this difficult?

Would appreciate any input anyone could offer. Thanks!

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this too. This seems like something it would be very difficult to have custom-made except at extremely high cost.

Making the sleeves longer would probably be impossible though. This would make it almost impossible for me.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I briefly had a Burberry whose sleeves had been lengthened. A strip of lining that didn't quite match the original sleeve lining had been added. From the outside it looked okay, although if you thought about it you realized there was a longer-than-normal distance from the wrist strap to the sleeve end.

I'd bet the alteration was done when the coat was new. You wouldn't want to try it if there were any wear on the cuffs.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
I briefly had a Burberry whose sleeves had been lengthened. A strip of lining that didn't quite match the original sleeve lining had been added. From the outside it looked okay, although if you thought about it you realized there was a longer-than-normal distance from the wrist strap to the sleeve end. I'd bet the alteration was done when the coat was new. You wouldn't want to try it if there were any wear on the cuffs.
Would you foresee any problems with, say, taking th coat in at the seams? In other words, were there any construction (e.g. belt loops, pockets) that would have made taking the side seams in difficult?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Thinking of getting one off eBay and then altering it to make it more fitted, and perhaps a little shorter as well.

Burberry trenches come in a variety of length, so with some patience, chances are that you can snag something close to desired specs.

If properly sized, I wouldn't bother taking in the body in as they often come with belt. But if you really want having one altered, it shouldn't be any harder than taking in a jacket. Belt loops can be moved if necessary.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Whacked about the patience aspect and being able to find a deal. I have been searching here and on e-bay for one, and low and behold one shows up in a local consignment store for $99.99. It's the long double breasted version in brown with the wool warmer and looks like new. As I'm looking at it I notice it's missing the belt. I have them hold it until the next day and do some searching and determined something comparable new would be in the $1,200 range so I decide to get it. As I was paying for it I asked if they could take anything off since it was missin the belt, and they knocked $20.00 off.

Another thing is I would go by the fit and not necessarily the listed size. Mine is listed as a 42L and I am wearing a 46 suit now. The fit is excellent. If this would have been on E-Bay I wouldn't have looked at it because I would have assumed it was too small.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 142 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40