• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Toe Plates Absolutely Necessary?

ltontheqt

Reaction score
I recently visited a cobbler who has been repairing shoes longer than many of us have been alive. I asked him to put toe plates on one of my nicer pairs of shoes. He responded that unless you're brutal on your shoes, it's not necessary. He went to say, without much explanation, that the toe plates degrade shoes. So, is he right?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never used them, but my older shoes that have seen a lot of wear still look fine.

freddie

Reaction score
I did use toe plates but by today I prefer vibram soles (or vibram tips at least). Even if toe plates are very durable, they have to be replaced some day. As the cobbler will have to nail them to the sole every time, the welt seam (if present) is likely to be damaged.

Stirling

Reaction score
I know more than a few Cobblers & Cordwainers (myself included) that aren't fans of toe plates, especially on RTW offerings.

Flush toe plates are effectively invasive and in order to install them one has to sever threads...

But if you eat through the toe area of your soles, there is a case for having toe plates as a necessary evil. Just make sure you use a good cobbler if you have to do it.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're only necessary if you feel they are.

I eat through the toes of my shoes normally and would have liked to have metal toe plates installed. But, it seems like almost no one these days will put them on. I know there's one person in NYC that'll do it. I know G&G will allow you to ask for it on MTO and bespoke shoes.

Is it really more invasive than nailed-in toe taps?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads