1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are Tie Bars "back"???

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MunnyGuy, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I dragged out some tie tacks that my parents bought me when I was 7.
    dice, one armed bandits. a compass.

carl

2. Sator

Sator Senior member

I disagree. I always wear my tie bar with a vest. It helps maintain the arch of my tie (among other virtues).

The more classical thing is to wear a pin with a waistcoat.

I've never seen a tie bar worn that way. It just doesn't strike me as aesthetically balanced.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

The more classical thing is to wear a pin with a waistcoat.

I've never seen a tie bar worn that way. It just doesn't strike me as aesthetically balanced.

You can't see it at all, so how to aesthetics come into play?

4. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

I still love 'em and wear 'em often

5. Sator

Sator Senior member

You can't see it at all, so how to aesthetics come into play?

Aha! you mean you wear it underneath the waistcoat to keep the tie tidy? In that case, that's a new trick to me.

I thought you were saying you have it cut across the waistcoat's V zone, worn in place of a cravat or tie pin:

[​IMG]

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I like inserting a gold safety pin into my ties.

7. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Tiebar,
    Timeless.
    Tiepin,
    Timeless as well.

[​IMG]
    How about a tie chain?

8. Chauncey Gardner

Chauncey Gardner Well-Known Member

I have to defend tie bars, since I do occasionally wear them, but only when I feel they'll give an outfit an unexpected lift. They can be very impressive, especially if they have some historical aspect. Likewise with other little pieces of jewelry, such as collar bars and lapel pins (which are higher on my list of favorites), I like the drama and sense of individuality, but I avoid wearing them every day.

However, I feel that most men I see with tie bars fail to carry them off; they look awkward and sometimes untidy, and I have to resist asking if the tie bar came with a matching tie and hanky set.

In short, if you can carry it off, then do it and enjoy it, but I would never recommend them as something that's automatically going to make you look better dressed.

9. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I disagree. I always wear my tie bar with a vest. It helps maintain the arch of my tie (among other virtues).

Doesn't the "weskit" accomplish this on its own? At least I find it does for me. [​IMG]

10. nioh

nioh Senior member

T for Tacky.

11. Bowruss

Bowruss New Member

Never been out imho.

I prefer a plain gold or silver bar rather than a pin - nothing ostentatious.

One thing - where do people wear them? I mean quite high on the tie or lower down.

I prefer to wear mine high so that it can be seen when the middle button of a 3 button jacket is fastened. I can't see the point of the lower position - it doesn't offer any great improvement in tie restriction and can have the distressing effect of drawing attention to one's corporation..

Russ

12. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

Had to dig up an oldie, I couldnt find too many threads on tie bars.

Any feedback on this look? I just bought a $12 tie bar at target, simple and nice. The tie is a cheap 50/50, poly/cotton square end tie.

First, the knot seems a little weird with this collar, any recommendations on tying it? The fabric is real thin. Second, is the tie bar too prenetentious with a square end tie if I dont wear a jacket or anything with it? Thanks.

[​IMG]

13. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

I love the look but can't seem to find any that don't feature random presidential insignia or fly fishing material. WTF? Where can a conservative yet ageless vintage tie bar be found? In NYC, particularly?

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=519

14. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

15. Kev07

Kev07 Well-Known Member

In or out, back or not, I like them.

+1

16. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

The guy asked that a year and a half ago, I just bumped the old thread looking for feedback on my look above instead of making a new one. Thanks though.

haha...I usually catch on to the necro thread bumps, but not this time.

17. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Any feedback on this look? I just bought a $12 tie bar at target, simple and nice. The tie is a cheap 50/50, poly/cotton square end tie.

First, the knot seems a little weird with this collar, any recommendations on tying it? The fabric is real thin. Second, is the tie bar too prenetentious with a square end tie if I dont wear a jacket or anything with it? Thanks.

- suggest you close teh gap bw tie knot & shirt, move the tie up a fraction so that the tie above teh clip is not too tight.
    - I use teh clip to give the tie some life

18. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

- suggest you close teh gap bw tie knot & shirt, move the tie up a fraction so that the tie above teh clip is not too tight.
    - I use teh clip to give the tie some life

Any suggestion on what type of knot to use? I just used a simple 4 in hand and think anything else would be dumb looking.

PG - do you ever sport the square end ties (or whatever their name is)? Your thoughts on them?

19. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Any suggestion on what type of knot to use? I just used a simple 4 in hand and think anything else would be dumb looking.

PG - do you ever sport the square end ties (or whatever their name is)? Your thoughts on them?

- suggest you start reading the WAYW thread..[​IMG]
    - I only use a FIH knot
    - & yes I always have a pocket square

20. rajesh06

rajesh06 Senior member

[​IMG]

I am not a fan of bars that are wider than the tie.