• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

are these typical 42L measurements?

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am buying a tuxedo online for my buddy, who told me his jacket size was 42 L and his trouser size was 34/33

I found something with these specs: (BB tuxedo)

Armpit to Armpit: 22.5"
Jacket Length: 34"
Jacket Across Back: 18.75"
Sleeve Length: 26"

Pant Waist: 34"
Additional Fabric To Expand Waist: 3"
Rise: 12"
Inseam: 32" (up to 3" to let out)

are these typical for a 42L? some small tailoring is fine to get a perfect fit, but since I can't measure anything of mine and he is not around either, I want to make sure this is ballpark correct and not something that has been altered to fit a baboon (it is described as NWOT)

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
A RTW 42L usually has jacket length ~32.5" (from bottom of the collar) and pant waist 36". Everything else seem to be fine.

+1

Alex C

Reaction score
I've done some sleuthing and attempted to find a table of typical measurements as they relate to suit size. Does such a wonderful implement exist somewhere?

hmmurdock

Reaction score
My suggestion: send your friend down to Target to buy a measuring tape and have him take some exact measurements. Especially if you're trying to buy online.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hmmurdock
My suggestion: send your friend down to Target to buy a measuring tape and have him take some exact measurements. Especially if you're trying to buy online.

+1 Especially to make sure it fits in the shoulders. Most jackets can be tailored pretty easily, but if it doesn't fit in the shoulders you'll need to return the jacket for a different size.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoulders seem narrow and the chest seems big. I'd be inclined to hold off until he can measure a coat that he knows actually fits him for comparison. A tailor can make most things work, but how much $ it's going to take to get that done is the question.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that jacket length from the top of the collar or the bottom? At 34", I'm guessing it is from TOC as a 33" would be a fairly standard 42 or Euro 44 Long. Regular length is more in the 31.5- 32 range.

The shoulders also seem a bit narrow, but I have seen 42s from 18.5 - 19.5, so it depends upon the cut.

Finally, the waist on the pants seems small - these are usually 36s.

Everything else is in the right ballpark

Alex C

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads