1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are these ties too gimmicky?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Threadbearer, Dec 22, 2010.

1. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

All woven paisley ties should be burnt. The blue/brown knit is great, the other one just nice but somewhat gimmicky.

2. Gwarg

Gwarg Senior member

Like 1,3 and 4.
    Not 2.

3. El Jack

El Jack Active Member

They're cool, horses for courses.

4. The Shoe Snob

The Shoe Snob Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I like paisley ties but am quite picky when it comes to their patterns. I don't particularly like the patterns of the one's that you own but I think that you executed them very well. In my opinion you seem to be pairing everything just fine, even the politician look can be okay once in a while. I would say keep them all and continue to wear them just how you are.

5. jdldore

jdldore Well-Known Member

I love the Kent Wang bicolor knit ties. I have one in pink and burgundy. I wear it on warmer Fridays in the spring and summer. I have to say that I think the brown tie looks especially good next to that suit.

I also like your composition choices wrt 1 and 2. I am not a big fan of aqua and think large paisley ties often look quite loud, but you have done a great job of turning down the volume. In all, very sharp.

6. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

All woven paisley ties should be burnt. The blue/brown knit is great, the other one just nice but somewhat gimmicky.

See, the 'burn' posts always piss me off. Not only do you not offer a reason, that's a really pissy way to phrase your dislike for an article of clothing.

Try to acknowledge that there are different tastes than yours.

7. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i like em. hard to go wrong with anything from kent.

8. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

See, the 'burn' posts always piss me off. Not only do you not offer a reason, that's a really pissy way to phrase your dislike for an article of clothing.

Try to acknowledge that there are different tastes than yours.

OK, fair enough. Here's the reasoning: paisley was created as a printed pattern (ancient madder etc.), so the sheen of woven silk just doesn't suit it in my eye. It looks like a brocade, and you wouldn't wear a brocade tie, would you?

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i like 3, 4 not so much, not hot about the colors in 2, and 1, as mentioned by spoo not enough going on with the paisley, but i wouldnt call any of them gimmicky, no reason to trash them

10. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

#3 is hideous. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it accordingly.....

....to my desire of buying one since I saw it on KW's website. [​IMG]

11. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Id wear it with a suit and some suedes. Tell you what, send it over, let me take it for a test drive [​IMG]
    No way, kid! You'd burn up the clutch.

Well, besides the fact that the challenge is Friday, not tomorrow...
    Oh, right! Friday. [​IMG] Sober now. Got it.

I'm very picky about paisleys. I think most are crap ... I wouldn't mind wearing either.
    Hey there, KW! Thanks for weighing in. Considering how picky you claim to be about paisleys, I'll take that as fairly high praise.

I sell a lot of #3 and not as many of #4. I rather like #4 and think it's underrated. Your photo of it is not as good as of #3.
    As you know all too well, neither of those bicolor knits photographs well. It's really a shame, too, in light of how beautiful they are in person.

I don't particularly like the patterns of the one's that you own but I think that you executed them very well. In my opinion you seem to be pairing everything just fine, even the politician look can be okay once in a while. I would say keep them all and continue to wear them just how you are.
    Thanks much, Handmade. I don't get compliments like that very often. Greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

hard to go wrong with anything from kent.
    True dat. [​IMG]

#3 is hideous. Send it to me and I'll dispose of it accordingly.....
    Too late, D. Blahman has earned the right of first refusal if I ever decide to divest myself of tie #3, which I won't. Save yourself some time, though, and buy #4, too. You're going to want one anyway after #3 arrives. In my opinion, the red/violet is even prettier than the blue/brown regardless of what the pics say.

12. dallasdandy

dallasdandy Active Member

At the risk of beating a dead horse, here's another thread inspired by The Great Necktie Culling of 2010.

Here are four ties that change appearance slightly depending on the angle from which they're viewed. All four are much prettier than they appear in this image, but I simply can't invite you all over to my house to see them in real life. Sorry, these photos will just have to do.

The two on the left use different textured weaves to create alternating glossy and matte surfaces within the paisley pattern. The two on the right are each woven from yarns of two different colors to achieve a similar changing-with-the-angle effect.

[​IMG]

Here they are in service:

Tie 1, DKNY
    [​IMG]

Tie 2, Santorelli
    [​IMG]

Tie 3, Kent Wang bicolor knit (blue and brown)
    [​IMG]

Tie 4, Kent Wang bicolor knit (red and violet)
    [​IMG]

What is your opinion of these neckties, gentlemen? Please describe what you like and/or dislike about them. Keep in mind that I'm trying to learn how to discern good ties from bad ones.

Keep 1, 3 and 4--ditch #2

13. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

1 and 2 are fine by most standards but not by "SF standards." 3 and 4 are fine, period.

14. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

i don't like th tie clip with all 4 outfits....

Totally agree.

15. NachoBroadway

NachoBroadway Senior member

3+4 are good. Burn 1+2.

agreed!

16. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Does anyone think this purple/black color scheme is a bit too busy for a grenadine? It looks very pretty to me, but since grenadines already have a lot of textural interest I thought this might be overkill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Would like it better if the black was navy, but I dig this one.