Are these ties too gimmicky?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Threadbearer, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    At the risk of beating a dead horse, here's another thread inspired by The Great Necktie Culling of 2010.

Here are four ties that change appearance slightly depending on the angle from which they're viewed. All four are much prettier than they appear in this image, but I simply can't invite you all over to my house to see them in real life. Sorry, these photos will just have to do.

The two on the left use different textured weaves to create alternating glossy and matte surfaces within the paisley pattern. The two on the right are each woven from yarns of two different colors to achieve a similar changing-with-the-angle effect.

[​IMG]

Here they are in service:

Tie 1, DKNY
    [​IMG]

Tie 2, Santorelli
    [​IMG]

Tie 3, Kent Wang bicolor knit (blue and brown)
    [​IMG]

Tie 4, Kent Wang bicolor knit (red and violet)
    [​IMG]

What is your opinion of these neckties, gentlemen? Please describe what you like and/or dislike about them. Keep in mind that I'm trying to learn how to discern good ties from bad ones.

2. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

I think they all look great.

3. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

The blue paisley one I dont mind at all, matches nice with your suit picture.

Tie #2 is ugly, brown + turquoise just looks bad.

The knits... are OK, not a huge fan of the contrasting threading, but they are passable.

..carry on

4. Guero

Guero Senior member

I don't think they're gimmicky at all, but you're right to recognize that certain ties based on their pattern, texture, or composition work better in certain circustances than others. For example, I like the Kent Wang ties you show (want to sell the brown one?), but I wouldn't wear them with a suit. A knit tie seems somewhat more casual and would work better with a sport coat in my opinion. Not a hard and fast rule, just a sense of it. I myself like paisley ties but tend to reserve them for more casual, social, or evening occasions and keep them in the drawer for business occasions.

Good luck with the tie project. It takes time to get the hang of it, no pun intended.

5. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

3+4 are good. Burn 1+2.

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

Very very very gimmicky. You should get rid of them. I will dispose of the last 2 for you free of charge :p

7. harry2quinn

harry2quinn Senior member

3+4 are good. Burn 1+2.
    See, the 'burn' posts always piss me off. Not only do you not offer a reason, that's a really pissy way to phrase your dislike for an article of clothing. Try to acknowledge that there are different tastes than yours. I love #1, like #2 and the brown knit, and think the red is a little boring (esp with the navy suit pairing you have - looks too politician). Now PKL - am I going to tell him to burn #4? No. See?

8. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I think they all look great.

+1
    Keep them.

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

not crazy about 1. 2 is ok. 3 and 4 are keepers.

10. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

See, the 'burn' posts always piss me off. Not only do you not offer a reason, that's a really pissy way to phrase your dislike for an article of clothing.

Try to acknowledge that there are different tastes than yours. I love #1, like #2 and the brown knit, and think the red is a little boring (esp with the navy suit pairing you have - looks too politician).

Now PKL - am I going to tell him to burn #4? No. See?

I do not even remember writing this post... still 1&2 are fugly to me.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The brown Kent Wang is the best tie you have posted. As a matter of fact, I think I need to buy one. (Or trade with you for some other nice ones. PM if you may be interested [​IMG] ) The red one is also great, but Im not really a red tie fan. Blue paisley is just okaaaaaay, the paisley is not intricate enough to make it interesting for me. The brown one is slightly better than the blue.

12. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

i don't like th tie clip with all 4 outfits....

13. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    I don't think they're gimmicky at all, but you're right to recognize that certain ties based on their pattern, texture, or composition work better in certain circustances than others. For example, I like the Kent Wang ties you show (want to sell the brown one?), but I wouldn't wear them with a suit.
    Yes. This is exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to tease out in my series of necktie posts. Thanks for contributing, Guero. [​IMG]

I will dispose of the last 2 for you free of charge :p
    Ah, but will you also pay the postage? (Just kidding, b-man. I like those ties.)

See, the 'burn' posts always piss me off. Not only do you not offer a reason, that's a really pissy way to phrase your dislike for an article of clothing.
    Thanks, harry. My thoughts exactly.

The brown Kent Wang is the best tie you have posted. As a matter of fact, I think I need to buy one.
    How would you use it, Spoo? Would you ever wear it with a suit or only use it in less formal applications?

The red one is also great, but Im not really a red tie fan.
    Then, sir, you will probably want to avert your eyes from my Red Challenge post on WAYWRN tomorrow. Not only will the tie be red, it will also be one that you deemed "unwearable" in my other necktie post. [​IMG]

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

How would you use it, Spoo? Would you ever wear it with a suit or only use it in less formal applications?

Id wear it with a suit and some suedes. Tell you what, send it over, let me take it for a test drive [​IMG]

Then, sir, you will probably want to avert your eyes from my Red Challenge post on WAYWRN tomorrow. Not only will the tie be red, it will also be one that you deemed "unwearable" in my other necktie post. [​IMG]

Well, besides the fact that the challenge is Friday, not tomorrow, I will gladly accept your red unwearable tie if it lets me help the kids. [​IMG]

15. RLP

RLP Senior member

keep em