• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these "square toe" or "chisel toe" shoes?

cgardel

Reaction score
shoetoes.jpg

Would you consider the shoes above to be a classic "chisel toe" design or a trendy Kenneth Cole-esque "square toe"?

I purchased the above shoes several years ago in Buenos Aires. These shoes are made by an Argentine manufacturer named Lopez Taibo and are not dyed (crust leather?) which is why I purchased them despite some hesitation due to the toe shape. They darkened a bit from conditioner, neutral shoe polish, and I think age. I apologize for the low quality photograph but I think it's adequate to show the shape of the toe. These shoes confuse me because they seem like they may be wider at the toe than classic designs yet I'm not sure that these fall under the category of those duckbill black shoes at the mall. I've only worn these a few times. What do you think? Wear them or burn them?
biggrin.gif

Nexus6

Reaction score
You can still wear them casual.
They are a 'square'd toe'. Not square, not chiseled.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Squarish.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They split the difference in an unhappy way.

A lot of the Lopez Taibo shoes I saw 3 yrs ago in BA did not have the best styling.

factorial

Reaction score
In between. Wear them if they're comfortable and you like how they look, otherwise don't.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
British style Chisel toe and a square toe are 2 separate things A shoe can have a square toe and a chiseled toe This shoe is not a traditional British design but looks like some modern Italian designed derby. It has neither British square or chisel toe to its design Below is a picture of a Fosters bespoke chisel toe taken last week in May 2009.
a2b13622.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads